“Great Hotel. Room service could be a bit intermidating.” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
20% OFF SEASONAL SAVER
Ranked #52 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
London, United Kingdom
“Great Hotel. Room service could be a bit intermidating.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2009

Stayed in this hotel for a weekend. It is indeed centrally located. I booked a junior suit and it was a nice room all in all, with a great view; though central window frame is a bit loose and flooring is a bit shabby.
What was not nice is their room service. I went for a walk on Saturday morning (at around 10 am) and came back at around 1 pm to catch up on my e-mails and take a shower. My room was not made, which didn't bother me a bit. I've been in the shower when maid knocked on my door. I asked her to come back later. So she did - in around 30 minutes. When I opened the door she gave me an attitude for still staying in the room and urged me to get out because, as she explained, my room was the last on the floor and her shift was ending in 30 minutes. That was quite intermidating. Never been in a situation like that before, so I just grabbed my laptop and went to a cafe nearby to finish things I was doing.
Apart from that - everything else was fine. Though I have to warn those booking a junior suite: bathroom has a glass wall and door. So if you are not coming alone, beware taking a bath with someone in a room could be a bit difficult (unless you don't mind them see you naked).

• Stayed May 2009, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
  • Arabic first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
Bolton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2009

Four of us stayed at this hotel for one night only on a mini cruise to Amsterdam. The Hotel is wonderfully situated on Dam Square, just 10 mins from Central Station. I am a very widely travelled person but I have never encountered such friendly, helpful staff. Nothing was too much trouble for them. The rooms were a bit variable. My friend and I had a large, modern room complete with ensuite, television and coffee/tea maker, my two other friends' room was slightly smaller but still very good. The room cost approx. £154 per night (without breakfast) so it was expensive but if you are looking for a great base to explore Amsterdam, I would recommend this hotel highly.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
chicago
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2009

I must admit that this hotel is centrally located. It's right at Dam Square, down the street from the Central station. The tram stops just in front and will take you throughout the city (pick up a 15 punch ticket at any grocery store for 7 euro). This hotel is within walking distance of Anne Frank's house and the red light district. The hotel is average with a large price tag. If you can find a cheaper hotel in the same area, I would lean more towards that. I feel we overpaid for BASIC accomodations (and I mean basic).

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2009

My friend and I stayed at Swissotel Amsterdam for 3 nights and it was perfect. I did a lot of research and booked based on comments here on TripAdvisor and I was very pleased. You can't get any better as far as location and the staff was extremely helpful and courteous. Most of the main sites were within a 5 - 10 minute walk, and the main train station is only a five minute walk which runs directly to and from Schipole Airport. And due to a mix up with our original reservation, our room got upgraded and we ended up having a view of Dam Square and the National Monument.

Tampa Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2009

Stayed here for a week 4-11 to 4-18-09. We paid extra for a superior room which was still a bit on the small side. Room was clean and well serviced each day. Front desk staff was helpful. We never even considered using public transportation as all attractions were easily walkable. When we checked out there was an inaccurate charge on the final bill which they quickly removed. The hotel is in an extremely busy area. Lots of people and activity directly outside the hotel. Overall a nice stay in a unique city. Internet is free in the business center. The charge for internet access in the room is much too high.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Kent
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2009

I looked on Trip Advisor before booking a Hotel in Amsterdam. One title stood out for this Hotel. It said 'Location, Location, Location'. It was spot on. This Hotel is so central to everything and overlook the main buy square. Breakfast was not included in our package and we found it extremely expensive to have Breakfast in this Hotel, but it was very good food. Our room was at the front of the Hotel overlooking the square which was perfect. Our friends had rooms at the side. Their rooms, although large and comfy, overlooked a brickwall. Not so nice, but then who wants to spend their time in Amsterdam looking out of a Hotel window!!! The staff were very helpfull and friendly. There is an excellent steak House - Gauchos - around the corner. Best steak we've ever had!

Liverpool, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2009

The location of the hotel was fantastic, 2 seconds away from Dam Square and just far enough from the red light district. Rembrandt Square and Leidesplein easily accessible, either by taxi or by the bicycle taxis or a 15 minute walk. When we arrived at the hotel we were told that the hotel could not keep to the room rate that we were originally given and we were to be charged an extra £60 per night!!! The room we were given was supposed to be a premium room, it was really small with 2 single beds pushed together (apparently a kingsize). Our window looked out onto a building which was under construction so we had no sunlight at all. On a positive the room was cleaned everyday and we were given clean towels everyday. The room was very well sound proofed, once the window was closed you couldn't hear any noise from outside.
All in all, the hotel location is fab but definitely not worth the money.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends

Been to Swissotel Amsterdam? Share your experiences!