“Great stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #49 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
Leicester
“Great stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

Great location, staff and not to mention the views onto dam square... A regular visitor but first time guest to the hotel.. Will be back to stay and enjoy the experience all over again.. Here's to hoping rooms are available

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with Swissotel Hotels & Resorts

SwissotelAmsterdam, General Manager at Swissotel Amsterdam, responded to this review, July 2, 2014
Your experience really speaks to what we strive to achieve for all of our guests!
I hope we will be able to welcome you back in the near future.

Kind Regards,

Swissôtel Amsterdam

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
  • Arabic first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
London, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

Using a walker and scooter, trying to find a reasonably priced accessible hotel in Amsterdam was a bit of a challenge. Staff and accommodations at this hotel were excellent. I was offered an accessible room although I did not have one reserved. When I pressed the emergency button instead of the light switch in my room, within seconds the phone rang to make sure I was ok and a minute later there was a knock at the door - Wow. Very impressive. Travelling on cobblestones with my scooter is always a challenge but this hotel's central location made this easy. I would highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Accessible room did not have a great view but very spacious.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
I would like to truly thank you for taking the opportunity to write such wonderful feedback about the details of your experience with our hotel and personally recommending us.
We do indeed offer two wheelchair accessible rooms in the hotel, it is highly recommendable to contact us directly in advance to request these rooms when needed.
Our team will eagerly await your hopeful return so that we take wonderful care of you once again and create more lasting memories.

Chatteris
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2014

excellent location, good food, high quality rooms and restaurant, but most important the staff could not have been better.
This hotel is ideally situated for a weekend break with everything in walking distance. the staff were faultless and went the extra mile to make our stay one of the best we have experienced. If you can afford it I would highly recommend this hotel

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Swissotel Hotels & Resorts

Thank you for taking the time to write feedback about your recent stay with us. I find it wonderful to read that you enjoyed our wonderful location and our staff.
Happy to read that you highly recommend the hotel, we cannot receive a better compliment than that.

Alexandria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2014

The best vacation I've had in some time! The city, the staff, location, rooms and everything!
The hotel is 10 minutes slow walking from the main train station (you can take a train from this station directly to the airport)
it's within a walking distance from almost all the attrations, tram station directly infront of the hotel and a tourist office where you can buy tickets for almost everything is just beside it.
Also a big shopping mall is opposite to the hotel, and shopping streets surronding it!

All the staff member speak very good english so communication was easy. They were extremely helpful, polite, caring and efficient.
You ask about any attraction, they tell you very detailed info along wth transportation details and printed schedules and everything!
When we were checking out we were politely asked if we would like some cold water bottles to use while on our way to airport because weather was extremely hot that day...this was really sweet of them!

The business center is very good, cozy, quite, high speed internet, good printer and drinks& some snacks are put there 24/7!
The rooms are not very spacious but are very good and clean.

I would definitely recommend this hotel and I will stay there again whenever I'm Amsterdam.

Thanks for the outstanding service :)

Room Tip: Try to make an early booking to get a room with a view not on the backside.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
What a wonderful compliment to receive!
We do indeed prize ourselves on our central location, providing a relaxing atmosphere amidst the hustle and bustle of the city center of Amsterdam. We are within walking distance of multiple attractions and the central shopping district. The shopping mall opposite the hotel is called 'De Bijenkorf' which is Netherlands high-end department store, featuring everything one could ask for.

Our staff indeed always tries to answer all the questions you might have and goes the extra mile to provide you with the information you need. I am extremely glad to read that they were able to accommodate you.

Happy to read that you will recommend the hotel and stay with us again, we cannot receive a better compliment than that.

Exeter
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

This hotel is located close to train station and is therefore easy to get to from Airport via train. Located downtown within walking distance from many attractions. Shopping, restaurants are very close and many types to choose from.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Swissotel Hotels & Resorts

Thank you for taking the time to write this review and mentioning our wonderful location. We are very proud to be centrally located close to all the main attractions and shops.
We hope we will be able to welcome you back to our hotel soon.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

On arrival at Swissotel Amsterdam, we were greeted by a very attentive Alessandro Picardo. The trip was to celebrate a birthday, I had emailed in advance to ensure we had taken care of all the details. Alessandro was very aware of the event and was excellent. We had arrived during the Holland v Spain game and Holland were leading 3>1 so we had an idea that there would be a good atmosphere in town that night. We dropped bags in the room and found Harold Kluit had arranged a complimentary bottle of champagne to help start the night off. This set the tone for the weekend and we had an exceptional trip, made so much more incredible due to the service and attention of the staff in the hotel. We will visit this city again and will without doubt stay here again. Spotlessly clean room, great location, staff attitude, what more can I say, except Harold Kluit, the hotel and staff are a credit to you, keep up the great work.

Room Tip: 1st floor, room 115 has great view of square and all the characters
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Wow, what a wonderful review and compliments to receive! We are absolutely thrilled to have been able to take care of you during your stay.
Your experience really speaks to what we strive to achieve for all of our guests and these comments will allow us to share the story and continue to inspire our team to always do more for our guests. I will inform Alessandro of your kind words, I am sure he will find it wonderful to hear.
I am very glad to hear that our complimentary bottle of champagne was appreciated and contributed to the wonderful weekend you had in Amsterdam.
We truly hope to welcome you again in the near future so we can take wonderful care of you once again and create more lasting memories.

Kind Regards,

Zurich, Switzerland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

Centrally located right on Dam Square in the middle of the historic center and only a short walk from the main train station.

The room was nice and modern, as expected for a 4-star luxury hotel. They cater well to English-speaking tourists, and I liked how the guy at reception recommended a nice steak restaurant for dinner in the neighborhood where he lives--which was outside of the typical touristy area.

However, the receptionist made a big show about choosing the "perfect" room for us--and although it was blatantly obvious that we were a couple--we wound up with a room with two little beds!! :O

I understand that many hotels in Europe have two twins pushed together instead of a king bed, but please... in a 4-star hotel? I would have expected them to be more accommodating. They didn't even have those bed joiner thingy-ma-jingys, so it was impossible for two adults to cuddle on the bed together without the two beds spreading farther and farther apart. So much for a romantic weekend with my hunny bunny. :/

This is a non-smoking hotel, so you get fined for smoking.

PROS:

I did like how there were complimentary apples in the room on the first night and Lindt chocolates on the bed during turn-down service. Yum. And they also provided complimentary bottles of water in the room each day, which I thought was a nice touch.

At the reception, they had carafes of flavored water in the morning, and it was refreshing to get a glass of mint or lime water before heading on out.

CONS:

Although the bathroom was modern, the shower/tub had one of those half-walls, so water got all over the place when one took a shower. I've really never understood who came up with this design and why some modern hotels have it. It's completely impractical and just completely soaks the floor.

Also, I had a little tube of Neosporin that I put on the shelf near the kettle, and one day it disappeared after our room was cleaned! I have no idea what happened to it, and I wondered if the cleaning staff took it or misplaced it when cleaning our room. I looked and looked and couldn't find it. And I'm pretty sure I didn't move it from that shelf. Was kind of upset because I brought it from the U.S. months ago, and I don't think you can buy that in Europe. Didn't bother to complain to hotel staff about it, but I was pretty disappointed.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
First and foremost I would like to thank you for taking the time to write this review and mentioning our wonderful central location and our special amenities.
We do indeed do our utmost best to provide our guests with recommendations when needed, our Front Office team is always available to help our guests in order to help them get the most out of their stay in Amsterdam. We also provide timely Amsterdam news on our Social Media platforms such as Facebook, on which our concierge choice is featured.
I am sorry to read that you got a twin bed, we always try to grand special requests when available. Advisable is to communicate any special requests at check-in to our Front Office staff.
It goes without saying that it is unacceptable that anything goes missing, our apologies. Our policy is to never dispose of any items in the room that are not placed in the bin. For future reference when it does happen please do inform us, so we can do our best to solve the issue.

We truly hope that it will not be long before we can welcome you back.

Swissôtel Amsterdam

Been to Swissotel Amsterdam? Share your experiences!