“Nice hotel / good location” 4 of 5 stars

Swissotel Amsterdam
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Damrak 96, 1012 LP Amsterdam, The Netherlands   |
Ranked #45 of 346 Hotels in Amsterdam
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“Nice hotel / good location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014 via mobile

Located on the corner of Dam Sq. It's a nice modern style hotel with friendly staff. About a 10 minute walk from the train station and close to pretty much everywhere. There's a grill restaurant attached to the hotel that serves a decent menu. A 10 minute walk up to the flower market.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
SwissotelAmsterdam, General Manager at Swissotel Amsterdam, responded to this review, June 19, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write this review and mentioning our wonderful location, our modern style hotel and friendly staff. We are very proud to be centrally located close to all the main attractions and shops. Even so we offer all our guests concierge tips on what to do in the area surrounding the hotel!

We hope we will be able to welcome you back to our hotel soon.

Swissôtel Amsterdam

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
  • Arabic first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
Durham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2014

The Hotel is very clean and the staff are very well trained and very helpful. However the Hotel is very noisy therefore do not expect much sleep at this Hotel .The position of the Hotel is very good location on Dam square for site seeing. However the development of the new the under ground in in Amsterdam is a problem with work starting each morning at 6.00 am and before causing the main noise. The food in the Hotel is average standard.
I visited Holland seventeen years ago and the country does have a lot to offer for all different types on people.
Well worth a visit to Holland, however I would stay in the Grand next time,as I did on my last visit seventeen years ago.

Room Tip: Do not select a room on the front of this hotel and also ask for a room with a large bathroom.They d...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write this review and mentioning our wonderful location. We are very proud to be centrally located close to all the main attractions and shops.

Indeed due to our central location and the construction work done by the city of Amsterdam it is not possible to keep out all of the noise. Luckily the street work will soon be finished, transforming the Damrak (the street which we are on) into a beautiful promenade. Although if you would stay with us again it is advisable to avoid booking a room in the front of the hotel. A room on a higher floor and overlooking the courtyard are advisable.

I am sorry to hear that breakfast was not up to your expectations, unfortunately our restaurant facility is outsourced, but it goes without saying that we will take note of this.

We hope we will be able to welcome you back to our hotel soon.

Perth, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014

We stayed for just 2 nights this week. Although we arrived early in the morning from a cruise ship trip we were happy to be able to check in almost quickly on arrival. Front desk staff were very helpful professional and courteous.
Hotel is located right in the centre of Amsterdam within walking distance to tourist attractions,shops and restaurants and eating places.
Strongly recommend this hotel for those who are first time visitors to Amsterdam.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
SwissotelAmsterdam, General Manager at Swissotel Amsterdam, responded to this review, June 6, 2014
On behalf of all the colleagues here at Swissotel Amsterdam I would like to express my most sincere appreciation for having stayed with us during your time in Amsterdam.
Your experience really speaks to what we strive to achieve for all of our guests and these comments will allow us to share the story and continue to inspire our team to always do more for our guests.
Happy to read that you strongly recommend the hotel, we cannot receive a better compliment than that.

Portland, ME
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

Stayed at The Swissotel for 5 nights last week, and we were delighted. Louise at the front desk is an excellent asset to this hotel chain, and was very helpful in arranging our room, and birthday treats. Our room was large with a comfortable king sized bed, although we were not offered a pillow menu, which I hear they have. The location of the hotel is PERFECT and within walking distance of mostly everything! The negatives were few but should be listed. Housekeeping did not do an excellent job. Our room did not look vacuumed upon our arrival and I don't think it was done all week. There was a long thick thread from one of my garments that dropped under the sink the first day, and it was still there the last day. Also, our bathroom towels the second day were removed from the floor and put back up damp on the towel rack to be reused (with make up on them) I reported this and we were promptly sent clean towels. The room showed a little wear and tear but that didn't bother us. Very little drawer space in the room, but lot's of cabinet space. Bathtub had a very high side and it was not easy getting out of the shower daily. All in all, excellent place and we would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: We were on the third floor, room 335, on the side of the hotel just off of Dam Square overlooking th...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
SwissotelAmsterdam, General Manager at Swissotel Amsterdam, responded to this review, June 13, 2014
On behalf of all the colleagues here at Swissôtel Amsterdam I would like to express my most sincere appreciation for having stayed with us during your time in Amsterdam.

I will inform my colleagues, especially Louise of your kind words and continue to inspire our team to always do more for our guests. Moreover, I am glad to hear you enjoyed our complimentary chocolates and beautiful location, we are very proud to be centrally located close to all the main attractions and shops. We do indeed offer the pillow menu to all our guests and therefore I regret to hear that you did not receive it.

Furthermore, I would like to thank you for the honest feedback you have provided us. It goes without saying that Housekeeping should do an excellent job and I am appalled to learn that they did not do so. This is unacceptable and I will make sure to take this up with our Housekeeping Department. Please accept our sincere apologies for this inconvenience. Would you be so kind as to contact us directly at amsterdam@swissotel.com so we can follow-up on this matter?

That being said, I once more would like to thank you for staying with us and taking the time to write this review, we hope to welcome you again in the near future.

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014

Stayed three night mid May. Easy walk from central station with rolling luggage as surfaces quite flat. Took about 10 to 15 min. Otherwise, tram stop right in front of the hotel. It's on the right hand side if coming from train station.

Pretty much just right by the Dam Square so very easy to walk to most main attractions eg Anne Frank House.
Good free wifi in room.
Hotel staff professional, friendly and helpful with good English.

Originally we were given a room on the second floor with large windows facing the back street. No faults with room and bathroom. Large, clean and comfortable. There was a pillow menu which I found quite fun. However no matter how good the pillows were, could not rid of the noise coming from the back street at night. Room was directly above/opposite to Burger King and Mc Donald so there were continuous yelling and shouting even up to 2 am. (Few drunks) I was a light sleeper so requested for a quieter room. Staff was very kind and moved us to the 6th floor. Room was a lot smaller but got the quietness that I wanted :)

Overall, excellent place to stay in Amsterdam !

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
SwissotelAmsterdam, General Manager at Swissotel Amsterdam, responded to this review, May 30, 2014
On behalf of all the colleagues here at the Swissôtel Amsterdam I would like to express my most sincere appreciation for you coming to stay with us.
Thank you for your positive feedback in regards to our hotel and its location.
I also appreciate your feedback with regards to the noise disturbances you experienced. It is very nice to see that our colleagues were able to respond with care and empathy in this situation. As you pointed out we are very centrally located, The rooms in the front really give you the feeling of being in a big city, with all the huzzle and buzzle that goes with it. The rooms in the inner side are more quiet. It is advisable to mention your preference when booking with us directly.
Hopefully we will be able to welcome you back in the near future.

Dubai
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014

Business trips for me are always about a no fuss room with a fast internet connection. Swissotel Amsterdam meets those two requirements perfectly.
I had booked the room as an Expedia "invisible" deal and was disappointed to see that the room I was given was not the one shown in the images on Expedia. Those rooms are suites. My room was a lot smaller. But it did what I needed, just didn't give me much space to stretch out.
The Nespresso machine was a great bonus in the morning and is streets ahead of the usual instant coffee powder and a kettle that you get in a lot of places. Really mad getting up on the first few jet-lagged mornings easier!
And as a bizarre extra, I want to highly recommend that you ask for the Swiss Pine Shavings - stuffed pillows if you want a firm, aromatic sleep. Incredible!
The staff here: Bernice, Lotte, Louise, Alejandro and everyone else are people you would want to have in any 5-star hotel in a major city. Knowledgeable, professional, courteous and always willing to have a chat at the end of a long day. It helps!
I would have no hesitation in returning to Swissotel Amsterdam - now on my preferred hotel list at work.
Thank you!

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking Dam Square for a good view, or along the side for a view of Burger King b...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
SwissotelAmsterdam, General Manager at Swissotel Amsterdam, responded to this review, June 3, 2014
Wow.. I feel truly humbled and appreciative to read such wonderful feedback on our hotel and especially our service.
I am glad to read you enjoyed our complimentary Nespresso machines and the Pillow menu, which we offer to all our guests!

Your experience really speaks to what we strive to achieve for all of our guests. Your comments will certainly be shared, especially with Bernice, Lotte, Louise and Alejandro and will inspire all our team members to go the extra mile.

I am sorry to learn that your room did not match the one shown on Expedia, please accept our sincere apologies. Would you be so kind as to contact us directly at amsterdam@swissotel.com so we can follow-up on this matter?

Wonderful to read that Swissôtel Amsterdam is now on your preferred hotel list and you would stay with us again, we cannot receive a better compliment than that, thank you!

Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

Boutique hotel within walking distance of interesting tourist attractions and services. European "sized" rooms but well laid out and comfortable. Bathtub/shower side walls may be a little high for weary limbs to get in and out of.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Swissotel Hotels & Resorts

I would like to sincerely thank you for having stayed with us during your time in Amsterdam. Thank you for pointing out the convenience of our location and your positive feedback in regard to the hotel in general.
Thank you for your feedback on the height of the bathtub we will take note of this.

Swissôtel Amsterdam

Been to Swissotel Amsterdam? Share your experiences!