The hotel was absolutely excellent! It's located right on Dam Square, meaning that it's right in the heart of the city. With shopping streets branching out of it and parallel to it, it's a great destination for shopping. For those looking for a little adult fun, it's also a 5 minute walk from the biggest coffeeshops and from the red light district. Also, if you're lucky enough to visit in the winter, the street Swissotel is on (Damrak) hosts something called the "Wintermarkt," which is a colorful, vibrant street market full of booths that sell everything from food to clothes to toys. On that same street (but year round), you'll also find many stores called "Tours and Tickets," which can assist you with setting up.. well.. tours and tickets for visits in Amsterdam.
As to the rooms, they were very spacious, clean, well-decorated, and most importantly comfortable. The pillows were so nice, I genuinely wanted to ask if they sold them.
As to the staff, they were very friendly, very knowledgable of the city, and could speak a host of languages fluently.
As to the cost, yes, it's a little high compared to other hotels. One must keep in mind, however, that this is a 4-star hotel in the city center in one of the most touristic cities in the world. We were a little surprised they charged us around an extra hundred euros (total, not per night) than expected for something they called the "city tax." This was, however, for a triple room so it didn't do much damage.
All in all, I massively recommend staying at Swissotel if you're going to Amsterdam.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Swissotel Amsterdam boasts the best location in town, right at Dam Square in the heart of the city centre. Being just 20km from Schiphol Airport and a short walk from Central Station, this 4-star hotel offers a perfect base for your stay in Amsterdam. All major sights and attractions are within walking distance. Offering 110 soundproof rooms and suites, Swissotel Amsterdam makes a quiet and comfortable haven amidst a bustling density of high-end shops, restaurants and bars.All rooms include a Nespresso coffee machine and individually controllable climate control. Hotel guests have free access to Swissotel Amsterdam Fitness, featuring state of the art cardio-vascular equipment, and to the Business Centre, providing free internet and office supplies. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, Booking.com, Despegar.com, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Swissotel Amsterdam reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Swissotel Amsterdam Hotel Amsterdam
- Swissotel Hotel Amsterdam
- Amsterdam Swissotel Hotel
- Swiss Hotel Amsterdam