“Free wifi (contrary to other reviews); what the hotel lacks, the service more than makes up for it!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Swissotel Amsterdam

20% OFF SEASONAL SAVER
Ranked #52 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

Swissotel The Stamford in Singapore is the only hotel in the chain I have been to, and they have set the standards rather high, so I had pretty high expections for this particular one, especially after looking at photos of the hotel. Upon arrival, I thought the hotel fell slightly short of expectations, that was my very first impression, not that it was inadequate- the room facing Dam Square had an excellent view, came with a Nespresso coffee machine in-room, was basic but definitely clean- just that I had grand expectations. It definitely is not your typical grand five-star-magnificent-lobby hotel, but my stay four nights on proved the stay of its worthiness.

The staff went all the way out to make sure I was looked after, they helped to book day-tours, shuttle services to the airport (although it never came after waiting for an hour! Not hotel's fault, and do NOT try your luck for the return journey to Schiphol with Connexxion shuttle, ended up having to cab to the airport after waiting in the cold for 50 minutes!), and was always ready to give friendly touristy advice anytime. After they make up your room everyday, they would leave a nougat, a complimentary bottle of water, and a memo telling you what kind of weather to expect the next day, I thought it was really a nice gesture. Oh, there is free flow of water and orange juice at the lobby too.

About free wifi- I read reviews at TA prior to booking, so in case anyone missed it, just sign up to be a Swissotel Circle member, print your membership card before your trip, and show it to the staff upon check-in, that would ensure you free wifi throughout your stay, at the comforts of your room. Do note that this is only for one gadget at one time.

Location of hotel cannot be beat, if you are arriving at the Central station, walk straight upon exiting the station, cross the road, you should see Victoria's hotel, with the Victoria's hotel on your right, walk straight down on the pavement, Swissotel is less than a ten-minute walk away. Also, I had joined two Sandemans Amsterdam tours (city tour and red-light district, excellent tours and guides!), meeting point both times were at the National Monument, which is a minute away from the hotel, easy peasy. In fact, within the one-minute walk radius from the hotel, you can find Madame Tussauds, the Royal Palace, H&M, MacDonald's, de Bijenkorf (departmental store with major European brands and cafes), not to mention tram stations right at your doorstep (Ask for directions at the concierge, most tram services stop at/ near major sights).

What I really liked about the room, was that there was a heater/ radiator in the bathroom, just where I need it. I made this trip in February when it was snowing every other day, so heated bathroom made it less painful every evening when I went back for showers. As mentioned, my room was facing Dam Square, great views, but there is a price to pay- the trams can be really noisy at nights and in the mornings (Ask for quieter rooms if you are a light sleeper).

I will definitely stay at Swissotel Amstersdam should I re-visit, which should be really soon!

Room Tip: Apply to be a Swissotel Circle member online prior to your visit for free wifi during your stay, it...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
SwissotelAmsterdam, General Manager at Swissotel Amsterdam, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
Wow Thank you so much for taking the time to write this very detailed and wonderful review.
I would not have been able to describe our location and features better.
First of all, thank you for pointing out Swissôtel The Stamford in Singapore, as it is one of my favourites. I stayed their myself and hope to go back very soon cause indeed it is a great hotel .
In comparison to our sister properties Swissôtel Amsterdam is located in a historical and monumental building in the heart of Amsterdam. This makes it different but also very authentic. Swissôtel Amsterdam is a four star 109 bedroom boutique hotel in contrast with Swissôtel The Stamford which is a five star 1261 room hotel.

Thank you for pointing out the free Wi-Fi exclusive to our Swissotel Circle members, which is our complimentary membership program and grants members many extra benefits.

It is always advisable to mention your room preferences when booking with us directly.
For example when you are a light sleeper it might be advisable to request a room in the back or facing our courtyard as they are more quiet.
We will always do our very best to accommodate you accordingly.

I hope to welcome you back to our hotel in the near future.

Swissôtel Amsterdam

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (178)
  • Arabic first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

Having previously stayed at the Swissotel Chicago, I was very much looking forward to my stay at the Swissotel Amsterdam...and I was not disappointed. The staff was very welcoming and helpful, including walking me to the tourist office next door and helping find a couple interesting tours to sign up for and honoring my request for a room with a great view (Dam Square). The nightly turn-down service and free wifi were just icing on the cake. My room was great - very clean, nice-sized bathroom with great shower pressure, very comfortable bed (so much so that it was difficult getting up every morning) and amazing views of Dam Square. Although I could hear much of the noise from outside (facing Dam Square, this was expected), the hotel was quiet and peaceful. Being a solo female traveller, I felt very safe and comfortable. I must again note the incredible customer service and professionalism of the entire staff. I can't recall the last time I felt so welcome and comfortable at a hotel! I very much look forward to returning to the Swissotel Amsterdam in the future :)

Room Tip: If you don't mind the street noise, ask for a room facing Dam Square.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
SwissotelAmsterdam, General Manager at Swissotel Amsterdam, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Thank you so much for this wonderful review.
It is truly a big compliment especially coming from a loyal Swissôtel guest like yourself. I have stayed at Swissôtel Chicago a couple of times myself and enjoyed it a lot every single time.

It is interesting to notice that some reviewers try to convince readers to avoid a room in the front of the hotel and others actually recommend the rooms overlooking Dam Square. It is actually a matter of preference. The rooms in the front really give you the feeling of being in a big city.Or as I like to call it "Global Village", with all the huzzle and buzzle that goes with it. The rooms in the back and inner side are more quiet. It is advisable to mention your preference when booking with us directly.
I really consider it to be a huge compliment that you couldn’t recall feeling so welcome and comfortable at any other hotel as at Swissôtel Amsterdam. I will make sure to pass on these compliments to my team members.
I hope to welcome you back to Swissôtel Amsterdam in the near future.

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights and the rooms were very nice. The staff is very welcoming and professional. Feeling comfortable and at home. Hotel in a very central location and we were more than happy to find out that the room was very quiet despite warnings from previous comments. Prices are correct and of good value with the deals on their website. We had a fabulous stay and will come again! We have already recommended the hotel to our family and friends.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for writing this review and recommending us to your family and friends.
I truly appreciate this.
It is interesting to notice that some reviewers try to convince readers to avoid a room in the front of the hotel and others actually recommend the rooms overlooking Dam Square. It is actually a matter of preference.The rooms in the front really give you the feeling of being in a historical city, with all the hustle and bustle that goes with it. The rooms in the back and inner side are more quiet. It is advisable to mention your preference when booking with us directly although we cannot grant all requests due to the fact it is upon availability .
I am looking forward to welcome you back to our hotel.

manchester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013 via mobile

We arrived on the train from Schipol to Centraal Station and the hotel was a mere 10 minute walk straight out of the station doors. With heavy luggage you could just as easily take a tram the 2 or 3 stops needed to be dropped right outside the hotel door. The entrance is very small and tidy so don't blink or you'd most certainly miss it! The reception staff were friendly, courteous snd really helpful, and checking in (prebooked and prepaid) was quick. I travelled with my 10 year old son and our room, while quite small, was quiet (it was on the courtyard side of the hotel so no view to speak of), neat, comfortable and perfet for our needs. My son was happy with the multiple channel digital tv, I was particularly happy to have a bottle of complimentary wine and nutty snacks waiting in the room as well as a good pod coffee maker there as well. Thete was a turndown service which included a bottle of drinkng water each, with a sweet and the following day's weather forecast being left on the bed for us. Toiletries, combs, sewing and shoe polishing kits were in the room as well as a safe. No missing touches, all was lovely and the little extras made us feel very mch valur guests. Breakfasts were good (though I'd have liked a fried egg instead of scrambled, at least once!) and there was a goid choice of fresh, and freshly cooked items on the buffet. We did have an unexplained cigarette aroma in our room in the evenings which wasn't great and never seemed to get resolved by reception staff, although they did immediately offer to move us ( we'd unpackef and chose to stay put), but otherwise we had a wonderful stay, will go there again.

• Stayed February 2013
Thank you so much for writing this detailed review. It’s much appreciated. The Central Station is indeed approximately a 10 minute walk away from our hotel. As you pointed out there are many trams, (number 4, 16 and 25) that stop right in front of our hotel in only 1 stop. This is especially comfortable when you need to carry heavy luggage.
I will make sure to pass on the compliments to the team members involved. Always nice to read great compliments about the staff as they are the true assets of this hotel.
Thank you so much for summing up some of the amenities our hotel has to offer.
I am happy you and your son enjoyed them to the fullest.
So very sorry you were experiencing a cigarette aroma, which shouldn’t be possible as we are a non smoking hotel. Unfortunately sometimes guest still do smoke in their rooms and we do our utmost best to prevent this, for example that's why we have a "deep Cleaning" penalty of 150 euro in place. I am very sorry you had to experience this inconvenience.
I really hope to welcome you and your son back to our hotel in the near future

Indio, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

This hotel was in a great location for our first trip to Amsterdam. The front desk staff, particularly Louise was very helpful. But their internet service was very slow the two days that we were there. And their $12.75 per day charge was ridiculous in this day and age, especially when McDonalds and others right down the street were free. A complaint to the manager eliminated the charge, but the complaint shouldn't have been necessary. Hence the 4 vs. 5 rating.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
SwissotelAmsterdam, General Manager at Swissotel Amsterdam, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to write this fair review!
I am very happy to read my team members were very helpful and I will make sure to pass on the compliments.
I will make sure to follow up with my team to have this better communicated to our guests. I hope, in the meantime, that you have found our Business Centre where one can use our IMac computers and free internet and enjoy some nice snacks.
We hope to welcome you back to our hotel soon.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

We stayed at the Swissotel in Amsterdam for 2 nights, normally my wife and I stay out of town in order to reduce costs but this was unnecessary with the great deal offered by the hotel!

The Rooms

The rooms were nice enough for the price, I have seen some reviews saying the rooms needed a makeover and I can say for the price I was more than happy. I have heard that all rooms are getting a makeover soon and if they prices don’t change it would be a bargain! I have seen lots of comments that hotel rooms in Amsterdam are very small, this is not the case at this hotel, they are standard sizes for a hotel room with nice big beds, desk, sitting area and nice size bathroom with shower/bath.

Each room includes a complimentary Nespresso coffee machine which was a great addition plus all the normal extras such as toiletries, tea, ironing board and iron etc.

The Staff

The staff were very warm and inviting, everyone we passed said hello and they all were very helpful.

Everyone spoke very good English and was more than happy to wish you a nice day.

Check In

We arrived at the hotel about 4 hours before check hoping to stow our bags so we could go and explore, to our surprise the room was all ready for us and they were more than happy to allow us into the room early. The check in desk offered us hand towels to warm our cold hands which were brilliant as we were frozen!

You access the lifts with a key card so the hotel is very safe from unwanted visitors.

Check Out

Check out time is at 12pm which is a great time so you don’t have to be up and out early, the prices to extend this were slightly high and I worked out that if we wanted to keep the room until 4pm it would cost us more than a night’s stay. The hotel has ample storage space for bags so we checked out and left our bags with them to make the most of the last day in the city.

Leaving the hotel the staff gave us some complementary bottles of water and wished us well.

Breakfast

The hotel offers continental breakfast, this was lovely and included all the normal foods such as cooked food, cereals, breads, pastries and meats. Everything was cooked to a very good standard and I enjoy it a lot.

My only gripe was I felt that the price per person was a little high, 15 euros each, per day for a continental breakfast is a little steep but looking at other hotels in the area the breakfast prices were more or less the same.

Internet

I was looking for a hotel that offered free wifi in the rooms, sadly this is not really possible in most of the hotels I found in the area and the price per day was extremely high, 12 euros per day is extremely expensive but it’s becoming the norm in most hotels these days. Good way to make extra money I guess!

The hotel does have a business centre that offers free internet but this was no good to me as I needed to use my own laptop.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
SwissotelAmsterdam, General Manager at Swissotel Amsterdam, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
First I sincerely want to thank you for taking the time to write this very detailed 5 star review. It is very much appreciated.

The Rooms:
Swissôtel Amsterdam is situated in a beautiful monumental building in the centre of Amsterdam. Therefore our rooms may vary in size, however according to Amsterdam standards the size is quite large as you nicely pointed out.

The Staff
I am always pleased to read good comments about my colleagues. I will make sure to pass on the compliments to the team members involved. As you might have read in previous reviews, service and friendliness are our top priority as are our guests.

Check In/Check Out
Our check in time is at 2 PM, however we always do our utmost to accommodate one as soon as possible. Due to our high occupancy this is unfortunalety not always possible however it is our pleasure to keep your luggage safe and offer you a drink or a canal trip in the meantime.

Breakfast:
As you might have read in earlier responses, Dam Plaza Restaurant is not managed by Swissôtel Amsterdam. Therefore we unfortunately do not have a lot of influence on the prices of the breakfast. However I am happy you did enjoy your breakfast.

Internet

We should have informed you of our Swiss Circle membership program which grants you free WIFI and other benefits. I will make sure to follow up with my team to have this better communicated to our guests.

I hope you return to our hotel next time you’re in Amsterdam. We would love to welcome you back.

Perth, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

We enjoyed our stay here but thought it was expensive as the room was very small and cramped with a view of not much at all in the centre of the building. It was however very quiet and the bed comfortable so we slept well despite warnings of noisy trams from other blogs.

The location is the best thing about this hotel, walking distance to the station, canals and lots of attractions, shops restaurants etc. Recommended.

Room Tip: Forgo a view for peace and quiet.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for recommending us and pointing out our very central location.
We are literally at a stone’s throw away from the shops, restaurants and a variety of different touristic attractions.
Some of our rooms indeed don’t have the dam square view but overlook our courtyard.
These rooms are ideal for light sleepers or our business guests who prefer a very quiet room.
When and if you visit us next time please let us know about your preferences. If you enjoy a view of the city we would be pleased to do our utmost to grant your wish.

Swissôtel Amsterdam

Been to Swissotel Amsterdam? Share your experiences!