Swissotel The Stamford in Singapore is the only hotel in the chain I have been to, and they have set the standards rather high, so I had pretty high expections for this particular one, especially after looking at photos of the hotel. Upon arrival, I thought the hotel fell slightly short of expectations, that was my very first impression, not that it was inadequate- the room facing Dam Square had an excellent view, came with a Nespresso coffee machine in-room, was basic but definitely clean- just that I had grand expectations. It definitely is not your typical grand five-star-magnificent-lobby hotel, but my stay four nights on proved the stay of its worthiness.
The staff went all the way out to make sure I was looked after, they helped to book day-tours, shuttle services to the airport (although it never came after waiting for an hour! Not hotel's fault, and do NOT try your luck for the return journey to Schiphol with Connexxion shuttle, ended up having to cab to the airport after waiting in the cold for 50 minutes!), and was always ready to give friendly touristy advice anytime. After they make up your room everyday, they would leave a nougat, a complimentary bottle of water, and a memo telling you what kind of weather to expect the next day, I thought it was really a nice gesture. Oh, there is free flow of water and orange juice at the lobby too.
About free wifi- I read reviews at TA prior to booking, so in case anyone missed it, just sign up to be a Swissotel Circle member, print your membership card before your trip, and show it to the staff upon check-in, that would ensure you free wifi throughout your stay, at the comforts of your room. Do note that this is only for one gadget at one time.
Location of hotel cannot be beat, if you are arriving at the Central station, walk straight upon exiting the station, cross the road, you should see Victoria's hotel, with the Victoria's hotel on your right, walk straight down on the pavement, Swissotel is less than a ten-minute walk away. Also, I had joined two Sandemans Amsterdam tours (city tour and red-light district, excellent tours and guides!), meeting point both times were at the National Monument, which is a minute away from the hotel, easy peasy. In fact, within the one-minute walk radius from the hotel, you can find Madame Tussauds, the Royal Palace, H&M, MacDonald's, de Bijenkorf (departmental store with major European brands and cafes), not to mention tram stations right at your doorstep (Ask for directions at the concierge, most tram services stop at/ near major sights).
What I really liked about the room, was that there was a heater/ radiator in the bathroom, just where I need it. I made this trip in February when it was snowing every other day, so heated bathroom made it less painful every evening when I went back for showers. As mentioned, my room was facing Dam Square, great views, but there is a price to pay- the trams can be really noisy at nights and in the mornings (Ask for quieter rooms if you are a light sleeper).
I will definitely stay at Swissotel Amstersdam should I re-visit, which should be really soon!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Swissotel Amsterdam boasts the best location in town, right at Dam Square in the heart of the city centre. Being just 20km from Schiphol Airport and a short walk from Central Station, this 4-star hotel offers a perfect base for your stay in Amsterdam. All major sights and attractions are within walking distance. Offering 110 soundproof rooms and suites, Swissotel Amsterdam makes a quiet and comfortable haven amidst a bustling density of high-end shops, restaurants and bars.All rooms include a Nespresso coffee machine and individually controllable climate control. Hotel guests have free access to Swissotel Amsterdam Fitness, featuring state of the art cardio-vascular equipment, and to the Business Centre, providing free internet and office supplies. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets, Despegar.com, Agoda, Odigeo, EasyToBook, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your Swissotel Amsterdam reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Swissotel Amsterdam Hotel Amsterdam
- Swissotel Hotel Amsterdam
- Amsterdam Swissotel Hotel
- Swiss Hotel Amsterdam