“Fantastic location, great hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Package Deal
Ranked #47 of 354 Hotels in Amsterdam
Port Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Fantastic location, great hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2012

I've stayed here twice, last time being about 2 years ago.

The hotel is in a brilliant location. You're near everything!

Rooms are clean and very modern, the beds are one of the comfiest I've slept in. Housekeeping very efficient as well. Front desk staff also very helpful and friendly. Room service is also recommended.

Great hotel. Highly recommended!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
SwissotelAms, General Manager at Swissotel Amsterdam, responded to this review, January 16, 2012
Thank you very much for recommending Swissôtel Amsterdam. Needless to say that means a lot to us.

General manager
Swissôtel Amsterdam

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (224)
  • Arabic first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
Mumbai (Bombay), India
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2012

I stayed at Swissotel Amsterdam during the Christmas break 2011. The hotel is at a very convenient location, right at Dam Square. One could even walk up to the hotel from the Amsterdam Centraal Station, its like a 5min walk.

So on arrival, I had my reservation in place. I asked for an upgrade, and I was upgraded to a suite at a very attractive price. The suite was awesome. A very large room with the front window looking into Dam Square. The rooms have a Nespresso machine, and for a coffee lover like me, that was very good. The staff were mostly very helpful and courteous and guided me whenever I needed help.

One weird thing happened because of which I rate the hotel as 3/5 and not 5/5. On one of the nights when I got back to the hotel at around 2.00am (tired and a little high), my room access key would not work. Its the same key which one needs to use to activate the elevator as well. The person at the front desk checked on their system and said that I had to clear the payment for the room service, internet, etc etc for the room key to be activated, as the system had blocked my room entry card. I found that very very strange, because all this would be cleared at the time of checkout anyway, so why stop a guest at 2.00am. Anyway, I was very tired and sleepy, and just handed over my card to be swiped. I was told that this is just a blocked amount and will be credited back to my card when I make the full payment on my checkout.

Next day at check out I informed the front desk manager about what had happened the previous night, and he did apologize to me. So, I made the balance payment, and was reassured that the blocked amount on my credit card that I had handed over the previous night would be re-credited to my card. Its been more than 1 week, and this has not happened as yet. This is also the reason why I have waited for a week before sharing my review here.

Overall the stay was good, staff mostly courteous, but that one incident was quite a letdown, especially if you stop a guest in the middle of the night. Moreover, the blocked amount has not been re-credited as yet. I did send out an email to the hotel yesterday, but haven't heard back as yet.

I would definitely recommend the hotel to everyone for its location, nice rooms, and the mostly courteous staff. But it would be great on the hotel's part to rectify their room-management system as its impolite to stop a guest in the middle of the night for whatever reasons. All balance payments can be cleared at the time of checkout. This is my point of view, the hotel may differ on this, but I believe that all readers should know about this.

Room Tip: Take up the rooms facing the main street. Nice view into Dam Square.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
SwissotelAms, General Manager at Swissotel Amsterdam, responded to this review, January 9, 2012
Mr. Rohit, thank you very much for the review. The issue with the credit card was our fault and I am glad it has been settled now. Like I already asked in my personal email to you: please accept my apologies for the inconvenience. I really appreciate the fact that you are recommending our hotel to others. We will keep an even closer watch on the credit card procedures.

Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2011

My wife and I recently spent 10 nights at the Swissotel in Amsterdam. The location is great. If you arrive at the Central Station you can easily walk from the train station to the hotel. It takes about 10 to 15 minutes and its a nice walk. This walk will take you along one of the main streets in Amsterdam, it is very safe. Lots of people are in the street and you will feel safe.

Once in the hotel you will find a haven from your cares. This is a 4 star hotel. Honestly, it looks like a 3 star hotel but the staff and GM act as though it is a 5 star hotel. The customer service is outstanding. The employees are upbeat, smart, well trained, attentive and nice. The GM and staff are off the scale good. I highly recommend this hotel and will return on my next trip to Amsterdam.
I also recommend a room overlooking Dam Square. There is some "ambient" noise from the street cars and traffic but it;s not bothersome. Actually, I liked it and the views are great.
All and all, we loved our time in this fine hotel. The GM and staff are outstanding. book this hotel,,,, you won't regret it.

Room Tip: ask for a room facing dam square,,, more fun
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
SwissotelAms, General Manager at Swissotel Amsterdam, responded to this review, January 2, 2012
Thank you very much for the praise. Great to read you appreciate our staff that much. I am even given some credit myself, but I will quickly pass it on to my team members, who are the real stars of this hotel. Having stayed in our hotel for 10 nights, you must have had the chance to really get to know them .. and the other away around.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2011

Myself and my husband have just been back from amsterdam, we only stayed a couple of days with one night in the Swissotel. The staff are very friendly and prompt. The hotel facilities are good, nice bedroom, shower etc, the TV in the room is very small, but I didnt go to Amsterdam to watch tv anyway! There is a coffe machine in our room, but it didnt seem to be working properly as the coffee was lukewarm which is a shame. We ordered some food late at night and it was very good and well presented, I was a bit dissapointed with the breakfast but I am very often disappointed with Hotel breakfasts. Overall, great value for money and would definetely go back!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Thanks for the review. I wish you had reported the broken coffee machine during your stay, because we could have had it replaced right away. We have a battery of Nespresso Machines on stock.
The breakfast is serviced by Dam Plaza Restaurant. Although based in the same building as Swissôtel Amsterdam, Dam Plaza is ‘de facto’ not managed by the hotel. We use their dining area for our breakfast. We try our best but at the end of the day we hardly have any influence on the quality of food and service provided by the restaurant, which can be quite frustrating. Luckily Swissôtel Amsterdam is located in an area with a very high density of places to eat, so plenty of alternatives at nearly every street corner.

Thanks for praising our staff and please come back soon.

middlesbrough
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2011

First of all the location of the hotel is absolutely fantastic , right across from Dam Sq and only a 5-8minute walk from the station. The hotel looks the part from outside, the staff are extremely helpful and polite and the hotels reception looks really smart and professional. The restaurant was alright aswell, nice beer, nice food and good service. Onto the room, the bathroom was great but the room itself was a bit poor. The tv looked like something i threw out bout 8 years ago and to be honest it made the room look pretty mediocre. I asked for a twin room and when i got up there it was a double bed that you can pull in half. So i thought fair enough, pulled them apart and the mess underneath there was absolutely vile. I didnt have time to be complaining to staff about things as i only had a couple of days in Amsterdam and i didnt want to spoil it. The hotel was excellent in many ways but a bit poor in others. I thought the corridoors in the hotel looked a bit prison-like and i probably would choose another hotel upon my next visit to this excellent city.

Room Tip: If they put you on the 1st floor do not have it. The rooms are awful to be honest.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
SwissotelAms, General Manager at Swissotel Amsterdam, responded to this review, December 28, 2011
Thanks for the review. I will pass on the compliments to my staff. I am sorry to read that someone obviously forgot to look under the bed. This is quite unacceptable and I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience. Some of our rooms need an update and actually we are working on it as we speak. All rooms will be refurbished before summer. As for our public areas: are you absolutely sure you stayed here this December? You mentioned our corridors looked like a prison. I do admit, though reluctantly, that our corridors used to look a bit pale up to a few months ago, when we finished renovating them. Now they really look classy and worthy for a 4-star hotel.
Once again, my sincere apologies for any inconvenience experienced during your stay.

Roma
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2011

This hotel is a small, elegant place to stay in the heart of the city. Perfect location, well organized, elegant enough to be ok both for business and for romantic weekends. Staff was good. The only thing: I paid my room (a suite which is worth to have if you find a good deal) in advance. They were asking me for all the rate while checking out...after a while they saw that I was right and they apologize. Why these things and mistakes happen only when YOU have to pay more?

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Thank you for pointing out our assets. I can perfectly well live with being ‘small and elegant’ Needless to say I feel sorry for the not so elegant check out. I offer my sincere apologies.

Hobbs, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2011

My partner and I enjoyed (mostly enjoyed because I was sick the whole time, but thats another issue) our weekend getaway stay in Amsterdam. It was my first time staying at this hotel and my first time visiting this city. The location can't be beat, it is right smack in the middle of the city and only about a 10 minute walk from the train station (which is about a 30 minute ride from the airport).

From the moment we arrived to the moment we left, the employees at this hotel made us feel very welcome and displayed the highest level of service! Forgive me, but I am horrible at remembering names, but everyone we encountered were a delight and a credit to Swissotel.

The breakfast was very good and tasty. The service was flawless. I appreciated the buffet setup as I could choose what I wanted to eat, rather than being given a set-plate. The only thing I would recommend to the staff is the juice and milk were simply set out and not kept cold. I would think that would be a health and safety issue being that we are dealing with dairy products. I did not drink the milk as I did not want to take the chance of drinking spoilt milk. But other than that, the food was great and kept warm!

As for our room, I am not a fan of hardwood floors, especially in the cold weather, but thats what slippers are for. The bed was quite comfortable, the chairs seemed a bit small and very 'doll-house' like. The TV seemed to be from the 1990s and only 13 inches? This made it very difficult to watch while laying in bed relaxing. Perhaps getting TV sets from this century (example, flat-screen/flat panel and definitly at least 20 inches if not more) would be a smart business decision. Nonetheless, our room was very nice. The espresso machine was much appreciated and made some of the most delicious coffee ever!

Oh, and before I forget, let me thank the housekeeper who provided me with a kettle to heat up some water to take my 'hot medicine' to help with my cold. She said it would be much easier than using the espresso machine for just hot water.

Thank you again for a lovely stay.

Room Tip: Our room faced the front of the hotel (3rd floor) and could not hear any noise from the busy street...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
SwissotelAms, General Manager at Swissotel Amsterdam, responded to this review, January 3, 2012
Thank you very much for the flaming review. To point out a few things: all the old tv-sets will be replaced by flatscreens this year. I will pass on your remarks about the milk and juice not being cooled. Please note that the breakfast is served by Restaurant Dam Plaza, which is not part of Swissôtel Amsterdam. Because we do not have a restaurant, Dam Plaza facilitates our breakfast. Nevertheless I will pass on your comments, because I totally agree with you.

I hope you will be in better health during your next stay with us. Please let it be soon.

General manager
Swissôtel Amsterdam

Been to Swissotel Amsterdam? Share your experiences!