“In the heart of the city” 3 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
20% OFF YOUR STAY
Ranked #57 of 343 hotels in Amsterdam
Roma
“In the heart of the city”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2011

This hotel is a small, elegant place to stay in the heart of the city. Perfect location, well organized, elegant enough to be ok both for business and for romantic weekends. Staff was good. The only thing: I paid my room (a suite which is worth to have if you find a good deal) in advance. They were asking me for all the rate while checking out...after a while they saw that I was right and they apologize. Why these things and mistakes happen only when YOU have to pay more?

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
SwissotelAms, General Manager at Swissotel Amsterdam, responded to this review, December 28, 2011
Thank you for pointing out our assets. I can perfectly well live with being ‘small and elegant’ Needless to say I feel sorry for the not so elegant check out. I offer my sincere apologies.

1,175 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
  • Arabic first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Hobbs, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2011

My partner and I enjoyed (mostly enjoyed because I was sick the whole time, but thats another issue) our weekend getaway stay in Amsterdam. It was my first time staying at this hotel and my first time visiting this city. The location can't be beat, it is right smack in the middle of the city and only about a 10 minute walk from the train station (which is about a 30 minute ride from the airport).

From the moment we arrived to the moment we left, the employees at this hotel made us feel very welcome and displayed the highest level of service! Forgive me, but I am horrible at remembering names, but everyone we encountered were a delight and a credit to Swissotel.

The breakfast was very good and tasty. The service was flawless. I appreciated the buffet setup as I could choose what I wanted to eat, rather than being given a set-plate. The only thing I would recommend to the staff is the juice and milk were simply set out and not kept cold. I would think that would be a health and safety issue being that we are dealing with dairy products. I did not drink the milk as I did not want to take the chance of drinking spoilt milk. But other than that, the food was great and kept warm!

As for our room, I am not a fan of hardwood floors, especially in the cold weather, but thats what slippers are for. The bed was quite comfortable, the chairs seemed a bit small and very 'doll-house' like. The TV seemed to be from the 1990s and only 13 inches? This made it very difficult to watch while laying in bed relaxing. Perhaps getting TV sets from this century (example, flat-screen/flat panel and definitly at least 20 inches if not more) would be a smart business decision. Nonetheless, our room was very nice. The espresso machine was much appreciated and made some of the most delicious coffee ever!

Oh, and before I forget, let me thank the housekeeper who provided me with a kettle to heat up some water to take my 'hot medicine' to help with my cold. She said it would be much easier than using the espresso machine for just hot water.

Thank you again for a lovely stay.

Room Tip: Our room faced the front of the hotel (3rd floor) and could not hear any noise from the busy street...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
SwissotelAms, General Manager at Swissotel Amsterdam, responded to this review, January 3, 2012
Thank you very much for the flaming review. To point out a few things: all the old tv-sets will be replaced by flatscreens this year. I will pass on your remarks about the milk and juice not being cooled. Please note that the breakfast is served by Restaurant Dam Plaza, which is not part of Swissôtel Amsterdam. Because we do not have a restaurant, Dam Plaza facilitates our breakfast. Nevertheless I will pass on your comments, because I totally agree with you.

I hope you will be in better health during your next stay with us. Please let it be soon.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2011 via mobile

Great hotel! Very friendly, smart and helpfull personal! Rooms are amazing! Location - couldn't be better, right in the center. Beds just amazing! Bathrooms sparkling clean and modern!

• Stayed December 2011
SwissotelAms, General Manager at Swissotel Amsterdam, responded to this review, December 21, 2011
Thank you for your very enthusiastic review!
Come back soon I would say.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2011 via mobile

Very nice hotel right on dam rak. Excellent service, good rooms, would recommend it.

• Stayed November 2011
Thank you for recommending our hotel.That is actually the most important thing for a hotel, to get recommended by satisfied guests. No expensive advertsising campaign could match that.

Washington, Dc
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2011

Overall great hotel... small rooms (like much of Europe) but spotlessly clean from top to bottom. And the front desk staff was like having your own personal staff.. they'd stop what they were doing to help you figure out anything. Great hotel for that reason alone.. but also a great place if you like clean rooms. Sparklingly clean. The only negative would be that if you're the kind of visitor who likes to avoid the touristy areas, you'll have to walk a bit to do it, as this hotel is right there on the central strip. That said, the tram stops practically at the hotel's front door and you walk to the the train station. I'll definitely be back! Great value, great staff!

Room Tip: High floors are nice, but there are no good views unless you're looking out onto the main street...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Thank you for the review, which - to my opinion - is both encouraging (to us) and informative (to our future guests).

You are right: we are in the middle of the busy tourist zone, but it is only a 5 minute walk to the quaint and quiet Jordaan Quarter.

Great to read you will come back. Needless to say you're more than welcome.

ipoh, malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2011

spend 3 nights in a premium room on Nov 2011.

what i liked :
1) very good location . train station is just 10-15 min walk on yr left and the dam square is just a few steps away to yr right.
2) metro stop is just across the street. therefore if u have too many lugages u can opt the metro
3)if this is yr first time to amsterdam there is ticket n tour shop next to the hotel whereby u can get the HOHO tickets and maybe the country side tour ..
4) the room , bed is huge . loved the extra coat rack which is addition to the hanging space in closet.

what i wished it could be better :
1) the main reason for getting a premium room , its a bigger size bathroom . for me the premium size bathroom is just average size bathroom which u can get in other hotels in europe (except paris of course..)
2) a harder pillow, the current ones are too soft.
3) inclusive of taxes n everything we paid more than 200euro p/n...therefore i wished wifi was free instead of making us pay 10 euro p/night.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Bandar Seri Begawan, Brunei Darussalam
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2011

I've stayed here in 2006, just my husband and I. I wrote a review in tripadvisor about the hotel and my ratings are more or less the same. I do remember thinking that its an ideal place to stay with the kids, and this time, I did!! I booked 2 rooms, they called me a few days before the check-in dates to confirm the children's ages and made sure that the extra rollaway beds were there when we arrived. I asked for extra slippers from room service and they sent it over quickly. They also provide a pillow menu where you can choose different types of pillows!
Location-wise, its really next to Dam square, and there's a tram stop just outside the hotel to take you further into Amsterdam and a tourist ticket shop next door so you can really buy your tickets there and plan and check where you want to go.
The kids, who gets tired tired easily is happy that they can easily go back to the hotel for a nap when they need to.
The only reason I'm not giving the hotel full rates is because I had a shocking discovery with their room service menu, apparently the vegetable soup I ordered which was marked as vegetarian had meatballs in them! Called the receptionist to confirm and pointed it out. He apologized when he realised the error, and replaced it with an alternative.
All in all, the kids loved it and that's all that matters to me..!! And the next time I stay here, I'll make sure to book the special kids room that they offer, that will surely be a treat for the kids..!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
As far as I know this is the first time a guest of ours made an effort to write a second review. I thank you sincerely for that. It contains a lot of helpful details for our future guests, which is great. I would like to offer my apologies for the meat balls which of course were not supposed to be in the soup. I know how shocking the discovery of a meatball can be to a vegetarian.
Great to learn that your kids enjoy our hotel that much. I expect them to come and stay with us when they're old enough.
Please come and stay with us at least a third time.

Swissôtel Amsterdam

Been to Swissotel Amsterdam? Share your experiences!