“great hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #52 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
Gibraltar
“great hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2011

we have just come back from amsterdam, and this hotel has been excellent, especially the reception staff, always on hand to help. special mention to Louise and Suflian for helping all the time and being so nice,
excellent location, and safe.

Room Tip: we had the double bed room which was enormous
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
SwissotelAmsterdam, General Manager at Swissotel Amsterdam, responded to this review, May 10, 2011
Thank you very much for the praise! I will pass on the compliments to our front desk staff. They’re the bomb. Hope to see you back some day soon.

General manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (178)
  • Arabic first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
baltimore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2011

Swissotel Amsterdam is perfectly located, you couldn't pick a better spot for touring Amsterdam as this hotel puts you in the middle of it all. Reservations were responsive in providing a room that met or exceeded my basic requests for the best room in the category I booked. The beds, comforters, and linens make for a really good night's sleep. I wasn't thrilled with the thickness of the multiple, high quality down pillows provided on the bed, only to discover a menu of 5 different specialty pillows on the nightstand. The complimentary latex support pillow that was delivered to the room was the icing on the cake, wonderfully comfortable. Amsterdam hotels are notorious for ditched out bedding, showers that alternate scalding to freezing water, and room carpeting filthy as an abused ashtray. Swissotel is so protective of its wonderful bedding that there is a strict no smoking/ganja policy. I appreciate that and the rooms are fresh as can be as a result. Showers and tubs are spotless with good water pressure and constant temperature. A real espresso machine is in the room. Free internet at the business office worked fine all of the 8 days of my stay. Airconditioning and individual heating controls work perfectly in a city that most hotels don't even have A/C. Don't get stuck at another hotel sweltering in a stuffy hovel with no aircon. The non-inclusive breakfast buffet was a crush of people on my first aborted attempt, but I found that going down to breakfast just as it opened very early did the trick. The smoked salmon was a real delight, great variety, fair price. I am a true s.o.b. reviewer, the most critical of the critics, giving one competing property such a poor review the general manager offered free nights after reading the horrible review. Swissotel's staff is passionate about being the best and it shows. Their theme that their 40 yr. old hotel only IMPROVES with age rings true. I can not highly recommend this hotel enough.

Room Tip: go to Contact Us on the Swisshotel webpage
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
SLAMS, General Manager at Swissotel Amsterdam, responded to this review, April 11, 2011
That’s how we like our reviews best: pointing out everything’s that’s good about our hotel! Good to read that you fully support our non-smoking policy. It is actually forced upon us by law, but it sure has a lot of advantages.
I am really happy with the perfect score you granted us, especially considering the fact that you are a true ‘s.o.b. reviewer’, like you put it yourself. I think a bad/critical review now and then is actually really good. It keeps most hotels awake and we are no exception. Needless to say we want to avoid bad reviews at all times.
Thank you very much and I hope to welcome you back to Swissotel Amsterdam soon.

Copenhagen
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2011

Ultimo March me and a colleague was attending a conference held in Amsterdam (the West Indische Huis) with two nights at the Swissotel Amsterdam. As many of the reviewers mention the hotel is very centrally located just a stroll away from every sights and business locations - very nice.

Upon arrival the front desk was very friendly, and the check is was smooth. As one of the prior reviwers just have mentioned (tails 009) currently the lifts are under maintenance/construction (which off course is very nice, since safety does come first) - however, if you stay at a high level floor it can take some time to get down when only one lift is in operation (I took the stairs once, however, this is not recommended if you are in bad health - luckily when you arrive in the lobby, there are fresh water :-)).

As pointed out, the rooms were incredibly hot - and the A/C does not work (I guess it is seasonally adjusted) - however, it was furthermore not an option to open the window, since a very large and incredibly noizy fan was just outside the room at the ground level (I stayed in room 522). I can't imagine how noizy the fan must be for rooms closer to the fan. Otherwise, the rooms were very nice, clean and with good beds (and with my windows closed I could hardly hear the fan outside).

The sleep quality, thus, was very good, except for one night were a maintenance guy was walking the halls around midnight or even later with a ladder. I don't know whether he was checking light bulbs or if he was somehow connected to the maintenance work, however, this was quiet annoying.

Otherwise, I would strongly recommend this hotel to people who wants to stay in the central Amsterdam, with high quality service and a very nice breakfast.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
Thank you very much for the review. I noticed there have been some issues lately with our airco. This week we installed a dry cooling machine on our rooftop, which must put a stop to most these issues. I went into that in to detail a few reviews ago: “Until this week we had a climate control system that reacted to the outside temperature. When temperatures were under 14°C/57°F the system automatically started to warm the air. The temperature of the air blown into the room could not be individually controlled by the guests. With outside temperatures just under 14°C this could be pretty inconvenient for people considering it too warm to have their room heated. From this week on we have a brand new dry cooling system installed, which enables the guest to individually control the in-room temperature. It was thanks to comments like yours that we decided to revise our airco system.”
Obviously the outside temperature during your stay was about 14°C. With our new system installed we are not depending on the outside temperature anymore. I will nevertheless do some more investigation on the airco fan causing noise, like you mentioned in your review. Thanks for mentioning your room number, which makes it a lot easier for us. I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience you experienced during your stay. The more happy I am reading that your overall experience in our hotel was a good one and that you recommend us to people planning a trip to Amsterdam.
We at Swissôtel Amsterdam hope to welcome you back soon.

Manchester, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2011

We arrived early for check in as we had arrived on the early morning ferry from Hull with coach to Amsterdam central station. After a short walk down Damrak we were given a friendly welcome from reception. Our room wasn't ready but there was no problem storing luggage whilst we went exploring our surroundings. When it was realised that it was my husbands birthday that day a small gift of wine and snacks was left in our room and our luggage taken to our room. Room 201 was spacious, clean and quiet. The view was of a central yard but had been decorated with plants. There is refurbishment going on around the hotel but it didn't affect our stay as work didn't begin until 8:00am. We had not booked breakfast but were given the offer of a reduced price when we checked in which we decided to use on our first morning out of curiosity and third and last morning for convenience. This is an area which could be much improved by a little better organisation. Dishes were not replenished at regular intervals, coffee (by the mug) was not brought until requested more than once and we were given the bill for signature before we had even been given coffee on the second visit (which was never signed but charged). As we sat eating breakfast on our second visit a young lady came from the hotel entrance, put 2 large bags down at the next table, helped herself to the buffet and ate it in her outdoor coat and walked out again without being challenged by any of the staff or asked for a signature. There was also a large influx of people came in off the street for some kind of refreshment which left residents with little or no service. The hotel is a comfortable central location but there are many other options for breakfast.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for your review. I really appreciate your understanding for the work being done on our guest elevator. Thankfully you were not really bothered by it.
As for the restaurant experience: let me start by stating that Restaurant Dam Plaza, although in the same building as the hotel, is not owned by Swissôtel Amsterdam. The restaurant does facilitate our breakfast. Because the restaurant is not managed by the hotel the preservation of the quality of their food and service is a recurring challenge for the hotel. We will however do our utmost to encourage them to aim at a better performance. Future guests, please note that Swissôtel Amsterdam is situated in an area with a high density of restaurants and cafes. There are plenty of alternatives to choose from.

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2011

As we were staying at the hotel for one night only on our trip home, I booked a Junior Suite. Upon arrival the front desk staff were very helpful - the room we should have been staying in wasn't ready as we were about an hour early but we were given another room on the top floor.

It was obvious that there was building work going on, one of the lifts is out of order however, I wasn't notified of this prior to arrival which would have been nice. Having said that, I'm not against building work being carried out during the day (It does have to happen at some point after all), and I would still have kept my reservation.

The room was very well presented (see pics on their website), lovely bathroom with glass sliding doors between it and the suite, the bed was enormous and extremely comfortable. Unfortunately there was also building work being carried out in a maintenance room next door to the suite (again this is just one of those things). Due to this, my partner and I decided to go out for a look around Amsterdam where we realised how excellent the location is. As noted in previous posts, the hotel is right in the middle of everything!

On returning to the room, building work was done for the day and a selection of cheese, grapes and olives awaited us which was a very nice touch. After then going out to dinner we returned to find the room a little warm and so switched the air conditioning on before going to bed, however, around 03:00 woke up to find the room incredibly hot. On checking the air con, the fan seemed to be working but the thermostat did not? In the end we settled for opening the window which cooled the room down but due to the location was quite noisy so unfortunately from that point on we didn't get a lot of sleep.

Unfortunately, the building work re-started again around 08:00 in the room next door with some kind of cutting taking place which filled the room with a burning smell. Since we were checking out, we checked out early and noted our concerns with regards the air conditioning and the burning smell to the front desk who assured us something would be done. (The burning smells lay solely with the builders rather than the hotel as I'm sure this kind of cutting requires proper ventilation to be conducted).

In summary, I'd say that on most days, this hotel would be 5/5 as a lot of people have stated. Unfortunately, with the timing of our stay it not really possibly to do so. I would definitely recommend this hotel however, as all the positives by far outweigh the negatives.

Room Tip: To/from schipol.Taxi is 50.00 euro, train is 3.60!
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
SLAMS, General Manager at Swissotel Amsterdam, responded to this review, April 5, 2011
We at Swissôtel Amsterdam are very pleased with the extensive review you wrote, as the opinion and satisfaction of our guest are of great value to the daily operation of the hotel. Glad that you liked the room and that it met your expectations. However, I would like to offer my apologies for the noise pollution you had to cope with, due to the work being done on the elevator next to your room. We had an agreement with the work men to start at 9am and finish at 7pm. If it is really true, like you said, that they already started at 8am that would be contrary to the agreement. I need to investigate this. Same goes for the burning smell, which was indisputably caused by the work being done at the time. Thank you for bringing this up and again my deepest apologies for the inconvenience.

I’d like to add a few notes to your comments on the air-conditioning. Until this week we had a climate control system that reacted to the outside temperature. When temperatures were under 14°C/57°F the system automatically started to warm the air. The temperature of the air blown into the room could not be individually controlled by the guests. With outside temperatures just under 14°C this could be pretty inconvenient for people considering it too warm to have their room heated. From this week on we have a brand new dry cooling system installed, which enables the guest to individually control the in-room temperature. It was thanks to comments like yours that we decided to revise our airco system. Scant comfort to you, who stayed with us exactly one week prior to the upgrade. I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience.

Furthermore, thank you for giving the hotel 4 out of 5 points and the conclusion of a positive stay with us. This really means a lot to us. Please stay with us again next time you visit Amsterdam.

Mumbai (Bombay), India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2011

This hotel is located on Dam Square about a 10 minute stroll from the central train station. The rooms are large and comfortable with an excellent collection of bath products. The breakfast was nice and wholesome. There is lots to do around the hotel. So after a days work take a walk in one of the most beautiful cities of the world or if you happen to have a day free rent a bike from the hotel desk and explore Amsterdam on your own

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
SLAMS, General Manager at Swissotel Amsterdam, responded to this review, April 12, 2011
Value for money is exactly what we want to offer. I am really happy you enjoyed your stay that much. And yes, Amsterdam is indeed one of the most beautiful cities in the world. A city you never get tired of.

I hope you will find your way back to Swissôtel Amsterdam really soon.

Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2011

Swissotel has a great location just 5 minutes wal directly from the centraal train station. Prices are a little high, consistent with the location. Staff and rooms are to quaility and you cannot co worng with this hotel. I have used it at least 5 times in the past 3 years and keep coming back. Now, if only they would allow smoking in their rooms.......

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Really great to learn that you have been frequenting Swissôtel Amsterdam for three years already. The non-smoking policy has been more or less forced upon us by a new law put into effect in 2008, which bans smoking in cafes, hotels and restaurants. No hotel can get away with it. Allowing smoking can result in considerable fines. I hope you understand. On the other hand we also receive quite a lot of positive comments from people supporting the ban.
Thank you very much for your positive review. We hope to welcome you back soon.

Swissôtel Amsterdam

Been to Swissotel Amsterdam? Share your experiences!