“Good Hotel - Great Location for Amsterdam!” 4 of 5 stars

Special Deal
Complimentary Beverage!
Ranked #53 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
Michigan
“Good Hotel - Great Location for Amsterdam!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2011

Swissotel has a great location just 5 minutes wal directly from the centraal train station. Prices are a little high, consistent with the location. Staff and rooms are to quaility and you cannot co worng with this hotel. I have used it at least 5 times in the past 3 years and keep coming back. Now, if only they would allow smoking in their rooms.......

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
SLAMS, General Manager at Swissotel Amsterdam, responded to this review, April 5, 2011
Really great to learn that you have been frequenting Swissôtel Amsterdam for three years already. The non-smoking policy has been more or less forced upon us by a new law put into effect in 2008, which bans smoking in cafes, hotels and restaurants. No hotel can get away with it. Allowing smoking can result in considerable fines. I hope you understand. On the other hand we also receive quite a lot of positive comments from people supporting the ban.
Thank you very much for your positive review. We hope to welcome you back soon.

General manager
Swissôtel Amsterdam

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (179)
  • Arabic first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2011

The Swissotel Amsterdam is located right in the heart of Amsterdam and provided an excellent base for exploring the city and the surrounding areas. Just a couple of minutes walk from Central Station, beside Dam Square, the Royal Palace, many other sights, restaurants and bars. Warm friendly greeting on arrival and top class unobtrusive service for the duration. It was our 30th wedding anniversary during our stay and the management left us a complimentary bottle of bubbly, some snacks and a card to help us celebrate. It is the attention to detail that makes this hotel stand out from the rest. I would highly recommend it and would certainly use it again

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
SLAMS, General Manager at Swissotel Amsterdam, responded to this review, March 23, 2011
Thank you very much for the kind words and the best score so far this year. Congratulations once again. Don't wait until your 40th anniversary for your next visit. There is always a reason to come to Amsterdam. Needless to say we are more than happy to welcome you back.

General manager
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2011

This hotel is my home away from home, I have spent 2 to 3 days a week staying here over the last year and I keep coming back. The facilities are good especially the gym room and the business room which are 24/7 and free of charge! The hotel is well located if you like being bang in the middle of the city, convenient for transport links and only 20 mins from the airport. Rooms are comfortable and clean with an iron & ironing table located in the room. Staff are friendly and always willing to help in anyway they can, when they know I am coming they even put fruit and complimentry snacks in my room, all in all a very satisfied customer.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
SLAMS, General Manager at Swissotel Amsterdam, responded to this review, March 15, 2011
Dear Mr. Asif,

How very considerate of you to write a review about Swissôtel Amsterdam. It definitely means a lot to us to read that you are a very satisfied customer. We honour you as one of our most appreciated regular guests. Thank you very much for the praise and Mr. Asif, please keep coming back!

Yours faithfully,

New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2011

The hotel is located 10 minutes away from Central station. We arrived and literally walked over to our hotel. At first glance, it was right in the middle of Dam square and I thought that boy this is not a good sign. I was wrong. The staff was friendly, our rooms were spacious and they provide a free business center for internet usage. I am pretty happy that I chose this hotel. The location is fantastic, you can access to the rail, train, canal tours, bus tours, trams and almost every single mode of transportation you can think of in Amsterdam. I am a big fan of this hotel and would highly recommend it to anyone . I would definiteyl come back here again.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
This is really great! Everyone is singing the praises of our location lately. It is indeed very convenient. I am genuinely touched to read you are a ‘big fan’ of Swissôtel Amsterdam. Thanks for recommending our hotel to others and hopefully we will welcome you back anytime soon.

Melbourne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2011

I arrived on train and walked the 10 minutes to the hotel. Given I arrived early the room wasn't ready but they happily looked after my luggage and provided me with a map and suggestions for things to do for the afternoon. Room service was very quick and the bar/restaurant downstairs are very good. The breakfast had everything one could want. During my stay there was only one lift working but this wasn't a big issue. The business centre offers free internet which worked well. The hotel is in an excellent location and was any easy walk to everything I needed. The museums are great and I spent most of my time wandering around and visiting them. If I didn't walk it was because I caught a tram which arrive at frequent intervals. The van Gogh and Rijks museums along with the Anne Frank museum are absolute must dos and are all easy to get to from the hote.
All up a great stay and I would definitely select this hotel if I return to Amsterdam.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
Thank you very much for the review. It looks like you made the most out of Amsterdam. We are well aware and very happy that our convenient location might have contributed to that. Thanks for speaking out the wish to return to Swissôtel Amsterdam on your next visit to our wonderful city. Needless to say you would be more than welcome.

Island of Malta, Malta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2011

I travelled to Amsterdam together with my wife and another couple in the 1st few days of March. We opted for this hotel and were extremely pleased. The room we stayed in (room 309 - a Junior Suite) had a view of Dam square. The only drawback is the noise at night. The windows are not properly sealed and therefore the noise of young students and cars can be heard. The staff were very, very helpful, well spoken (in English) and accommodating. I would recommend this hotel to anyone and return their anytime.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
SLAMS, General Manager at Swissotel Amsterdam, responded to this review, March 14, 2011
Thank you ever so much for taking the time to write your review ánd for granting us the maximum score of course. Swissôtel Amsterdam invested quite a lot in sound proofing, which should be reflected in de windows being properly sealed for keeping out the noise. Apparently there is still something left to be desired. I will definitely urge our technical department to have a closer look at it. Thank you for pointing it out.
Please DO return whenever you’re in Amsterdam. Needless to say you will be more than welcome.

Dublin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2011

I spent 3 nights at the Swissotel Amsterdam from 6th March to 8th March 2011. On arrival at the hotel we were presented with refreshing hot towels while the receptionist proceeded to check us in. The receptionist was particularly professional and helpful. He inquired if we had visited Amsterdam before and when we mentioned it was our first visit, he produced a map and some guidance to getting around the city which was very gratefully received. The location is ideal just on Dam Square with access to tram stops just outside and behind the hotel. The room I had reserved was a twin and was quite small but was adequate for our needs. The welcome snack of a fresh apple each left in the room was appreciated and was, in my opinion a defining touch as many hotels do not provide this level of thoughtfulness. The beds were incredibly soft and unfortuantely not to my companions taste as she prefers a harder mattress, but I found the mattress to be very nice. The pillows however are probably far to soft for my particular preference. The facilities provided are the usual, coffee and tea making, mini bar which was left empty for our personal use, which I prefer. The bathroom is fine, the shower pressure was perfect. However if I do have any negative criticisms it is of the restaurant attached to the hotel, which I am very aware is not affiliated to the hotel, but is over priced and incredibly disappointing in both service levels and quality of food served. We had the misfortune to go for breakfast there one morning and I regret it wholeheartedly. Inferior food, slow almost grudging service and the prices were astronomical for the rubbish we were served. My advice is to steer very well clear of the Dam Plaza Restaurant. Also on our way home on the last night we wanted a couple of bottles of water which cost €5.50 at the bar in the resturant. Absolutely incredible! My suggestion is for the hotel to provide a couple of bottles of drinking water for their guests - build it into the price of the room, but don't leave it for the guests to be ripped off in that restaurant, which its fair to say would colour any recommendations I would have to make about the Swissotel. Unfortunately there was some noise pollution in the form of drilling while the hotel renovates their new lift, but it wasn't unbearable. And be sure to put the do not disturn sign on the door, I forgot and the eager housekeeping staff entered the room while I was still in bed at 9.30am on Sunday morning! Its one way to get me up out of bed at least. Despite all of this, the staff were all very solicitous and clearly enjoy their jobs, that is the best advertisment a hotel can have.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
Thank you very much for the very extensive and valuable review. I’m sorry to learn that you must have overlooked our Pillow Menu on the bedside table, from which you could have picked a pillow to your liking.
The restaurant Dam Plaza is, as you put it correctly, not affiliated to Swissôtel Amsterdam. This can cause some challenges once in a while, concerning the service and quality of food, but let me assure you that we are pretty much on top of it. I am very sorry that on this occasion your experience happened to be disappointing and I apologize for that. I will promise you and future guests to keep an even better eye on the food and beverage and I will take your suggestions about including bottles of drinking water in the rate to heart. Same goes for the noise pollution. We were indeed renewing a guest elevator and have tried our best to limit the nuisance to a minimum by only permitting work being done during office hours. I genuinely apologize for the inconvenience. Thank you very much for the words of praise to our staff. They are indeed the best!

Swissôtel Amsterdam

Been to Swissotel Amsterdam? Share your experiences!