“Excellent Location for a Visit” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Singel Hotel

Save Saved
You added Singel Hotel to your Saves list
Singel Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Singel 13-17, Amsterdam 1012 VC, The Netherlands (Dam Square)   |
Special Deal
Free canal cruise
Ranked #123 of 343 hotels in Amsterdam
New York City, New York
“Excellent Location for a Visit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

Upon my third trip to Amsterdam I stayed at the Singel Hotel for two nights. Upon arrival I found the staff agreeable but not so friendly. I lucked out with a room upgrade from a single bed to a double for just me as a solo traveller. Even with the bigger room I still felt a little cramped. I will say the location of this hotel is excellent. It's located on a beautiful canal street and is within walking distance of Centraal station, many restaurants, coffee shops, Dam Square and the Red Light District.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

604 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
  • Turkish first
Basildon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

Excellent location. Close enough to where everything is going down but just far away to not be in the thick of things when you're trying to get some rest. 5 minutes walk the train station and Damrak, 7 or 8 minutes to the Red Light District and 10 minutes from Dam Square, what more could you want? Also, there's a little secluded mini Red Light district behind the hotel which comes in handy. Just letting my brothers know.*Knuckles* You Understand.
Nothing fancy but better than the usual Amsterdam lodgings. The elevator is a bit slow, I think they've got hamsters on wheels powering that thing but it gives you time to get your head together so you don't look too stoned when you're handing your door key to the staff upon exit. That's a requirement by the way and it means you don't lose it if you get wasted. A nice touch. Smoking rooms are on the top floor but there is a nice outdoors smoking area outside Room 40 on the top floor. Didn't use it because I had a smoking room and it was also raining heavily from the moment I got there to the moment I left. Being a shaven headed individual, I didn't mind because I have no hair to get wet but I certainly wouldn't choose to smoke there. Looks like it would have been thoroughly pleasent in the summer though.
Yeah, book here. Staff were friendly, rooms were above expectation and you're ideally located. Double thumbs up. No, that's not what I did in the Red Light District....you lot have a dirty mind!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here for my partners birthday weekend with a group of friends, and cannot rave enough about the staff and service we received. Very hard to find nowadays but thankfully it still exists.

From the moment we walked in we were welcomed by the lovely Aniko who made all of us feel truly excited to have finally arrived in Amsterdam. She was full of information on what to do, where to go and how to get around.

The hotel is perfectly located less than 100 meters from the central station and right on the centre of it all.

The rooms are average but it's comfortable, and a safe place to rest your head for the night.

Breakfast - Wow!! For a continental selection it had pretty much everything you need and it was very fresh and you could tell they love to ensure everyone is full to the brim for an active day of sightseeing.

A special thank you to Aniko for safely returning my cell phone in the post after I stupidly left it in the room when we left. Most places usually wouldn't bother but they immediately rang and emailed to notify us.

It maybe a 3 star hotel but definitely 5 star service.

Look forward to coming back soon.

• Stayed September 2012
Southampton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

Stayed here on business. Twin room a bit cosy - i.e. no gap between beds for myself and colleague... Still, bed comfortable, check in / out and breakfast times generous and the location is very convenient. I would recommend this hotel as it is clean, convenient and good value.

Room Tip: Room does get hot!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

After checking in, we went up to our room located on 3rd floor in a small and very very slow elevator. That didn't leave a very good first impression so we were sceptical. But as we entered our triple room, the spaciousness, cleanliness and the view we got from the room brushed all scepticism away! It was spacious, and there were 3 large windows overlooking Singel Canal. We paid 144euro through booking from the hotel website and were given 3 free canal cruise tickets in which we enjoyed. So we basically paid around 110euro for the room which is reasonable for the size of the room, the ensuite (this is a big plus), location - only 5mins walk from the central station, Dam Square and 10-15mins to the famous Red Light District but quite as night so this is good for light sleepers. The beds were comfy and there were 2 extra pillows provided in the cupboard. The blackout curtains work very well too - we slept until 9am the next day, almost missed the breakfast! Breakfast was basic but sufficient. Had a hard time looking for a decent hotel in Amsterdam, I was glad I found Singel Hotel. Our only complain is the fact that guests have to leave the room's key card whenever we go out! Will definitely consider this hotel again when I return to Amsterdam. Highly recommended!

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the canal!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Imperia, Italy
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

Nice hotel but expensive for the offer.The breakfast is minimal and at 10 a woman come to say "lady and gentleman the time is over".I got a smoker room but the window was at 1meter in front of another window.The staff is very helpfull for everything.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Hamburg, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

Ok,I stayed there only one night and it was a leisure trip.
(I think I tend to be more demanding on business trips)

As usual, let's start with the goods:
* Location ++: a few minutes walk to the central station, literally around the corner, great when you have that early train/plane to catch
* Room ++: clean, really affordable when compared to many other hotels of the same category, wifi free of charge (as it should be anywhere in 2012)+++, had a room with a view on the channel which made it very...romantic (ok I said it). Bathroom was clean, no anxiety whatsoever to take a shower. Curtains are good enough to block light properly so you could enjoy that long sleep after a night out ;)
* Breakfast ++: was included in my room price and it was surprisingly good +, the only things missing are a bit of veggies (tomatoes or cucumbers) are not to be seen.
*Staff++: very customer oriented and helpful in many situations

The bads:
*Well, I cant think of anything !

Thumbs up, will definitely book again the next time I am in Amsterdam

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a channel view, it feels like you live in the city, so nice. If you're sensi...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Been to Singel Hotel? Share your experiences!