“Perfect Primsen with ebookers” 4 of 5 stars

Prinsen Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Vondelstraat 36-38, 1054 GE Amsterdam, The Netherlands   |
Ranked #223 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
hotels_77
“Perfect Primsen with ebookers”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2006

i had an exceptionally pleasant experience with the Prinsen Hotel last month. I booked a 3 night stay with ebookers.com - was slightly worried about the good deal I got, because I thought that the hotel might be cutting corners.
Anyway, reaching the hotel was easy as it is located close to the metro station and the directions on the ebookers website actually were very helpful. The hotel staff was friendly and the room which I got had a lovely view. The staff themselves pointed that out, saying that the room allocated to me was one floor lower and they had thought that I might like this room better.

• Stayed October 2006, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Ebbw Vale South Wales
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2006

We have just returned from Amsterdam after spending 3 nights at this hotel. I was a bit wary of what to expect after reading some of the reviews but on the whole this small hotel was more than adequate. Yes i agree the rooms are small but they were spotless as was the bathroom. The breakfast was lovely and plentiful. There was a smell near the downstairs loos but i had the room next to these and you could not smell anything once in your room and bear in mind you are right next to a canal?. Staff were helpful and approachable and couldn't do enough to help. the only disapointment was that there was no comfortable bar sitting area to have a drink after a long days walking. I would certainly stay there again in future and could recomend it as a base for a weekends stay.

Stayed November 2006
Cambs
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2006

I stayed in the Prinsen September 2005 on a business trip. This was for a trade fair, and lots of hotels were fully booked when I came to book. However, this one was not which, in hindsight, is not surprising.
The room was tiny - the dreadful thing was that the walls were full of squashed flies and spiders. Really something I've never seen in a hotel. There was enough room to open the door, and get into bed. The bathroom smelled odd at times, but the tiling seemed recently renovated and was ok.
Breakfast was ok, but all that was on offer was the cheapest kind of sliced bread and muffins with various toppings.
I cut short my stay in this hotel and moved elsewhere, as it was so poor.
I will never stay in this hotel again.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Room
  • Tips/Secrets — Look elsewhere
  • Stayed September 2005, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2006

I went for a week away and i couldn't enter our bathroom because the smell was so terrible. The only time it smelt half decent was after a shower or a bath. The shower was a no go area aswell because every time you used it the floor got soaking wet!
As you will know hotel rooms usually have a safe in. In may our safe was on the highest shelf in the wardrobe and therefore to access our belongings we had to stand on a chair.

• Stayed May 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2006

Me and 15 friends went to amsterdam for my stag do. we stayed at the prinsen. we stayed in a mix of 3 and 2 bed rooms.
It was quite cheap, 50 euro per person per night for all rooms. Great location 5 mins from the leidesplein area. staff really friendly and a nice beer garden at the back.
The rooms were tiny but we were only there to shower and sleep. The rooms were clean though. The breakfast was terrible (but thats continental breakfasts for you) and I brought a white towel with me that was taken by the cleaners (out of my case).
For group bookings its brilliant. Dont think id go with just my fiancee/wife.

• Stayed May 2006
Dublin Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2006

My self and my husband have just come home from the amazing City of Amsterdam. We stayed at the Prinsen Hotel. When we arrived last Sunday we were given a room with twin beds, it was a small room but was clean and overlooked the garden so we didnt mind. The next morning at breakfast the receptionist came over and said she had been thinking about us and would like to change our room to a bigger room with a double bed. We were delighted to move, that room was not available the day before, so up we moved to a pleasent room. The hotel is very clean with a change of towels every day and cleaned every day, the hotel staff are friendly and helpfull. The breakfast is self service but you can have as much as you like. The only thing was the bar was very small and it was not a place you could come back to at night and have a few drinks, but there are plenty of bars on the way, Anyway we enjoyed it all.

• Stayed April 2006
Manchester
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2006

Myself and My husband stayed at the Prinsen for 3 nights in march this year. The room was the tiniest room I have ever stayed in. You couldnt even sit fully on the loo or you would have hit your head on the wall. We couldnt stand up together in the room it was too cramped, my husband had to sit on the bed if I was getting dressed or anything. Absolute nightmare, on the plus side the staff were very friendly so if you dont mind staying in a room the size of a postage stamp, go for it. It is in an excellent location central to the heart of all the action.

Stayed March 2006

Been to Prinsen Hotel? Share your experiences!