“No value for money” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #223 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
Hamar
“No value for money”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

I stayed in room 43 (single room) for two nights.

The staff had read my request for a quiet room, so I got a room on the top floor. My friend didn't request the same and got a room in the basement/ground floor. As my room was quiet, my friend's room was right underneath the reception area, so she heard noises from there.

The breakfast was ok, according to what you would expect at a 3-star hotel.

The room was ok, the bed comfortable. However, the bathroom was very dull. There's no real shower, just a shower curtain. I find shower curtains rather disgusting. The bathroom was very small, like a bathroom in a cabin on a boat. Two-grip handles I think is outdated and unhygienic.

The location is good, only a five minute walk away from Leidseplein, right next to Vondelpark. Little traffic in the street (check Google maps). It costs €37-40 with taxi to/from Schipol.

Summed up: Average hotel with good location but with quite indelicate bathroom.

I paid €220 for two nights. I felt like the hotel experience was worth less.

Room Tip: Top floor was quiet
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Roseville, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

Upon arrival, the desk clerk gave me Room #6, a single room. The room was very small, the bed was a single-size (not a twin or queen), and the mattress sagged (I sat on it and sank almost to the floor). In the bathroom, there was not a separate shower. Instead, the hotel hung a shower curtain across one-half of the room and stuck a showerhead in the wall. The bathroom had a strong sewer smell. I complained, but the desk clerk told me that this was their "standard single room." I refused to stay there. The hotel kept my prepaid deposit for two nights and refused to refund anything. I recommend to all travelers and to travel agents to not book at this hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Bochum, Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

Pros: excellent location, in 5-10min you can reach streets with pubs, restaurants and clubs; 5-10min to Rijksmuseum and Van Gog Museum.

Cons: the hotel is very old - time to change carpets full of dust has passed along time ago; rooms are very small (hardly found a place to open my luggage bag); fan in bathroom is very noisy.

Breakfast is average - bread/ toasts, cheese, ham, eggs, jam and cereals.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Ipswich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

I stayed here October 2013 with my two daughters and we had a great time. The hotel was clean, the staff were really nice and very helpful with suggestions of where to go etc. Really enjoyed the breakfast and had plenty to eat. The luggage store was good as we had a late flight and they also booked us a taxi to the airport with a fixed price. Thank you Prinsen Hotel we will definitely be back; Mel (Suffolk, England)

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

I spent a good two weeks in February looking for a hotel in Amsterdam to attend a conference in August. I never thought it would be so dificult. Most hotels were fully booked, they were incredibly expensive and even if you found a room you had to book and pay straight away. Prinsen Hotel had a room available and was slightly cheaper than other hotels. I was a bit skeptical about booking a room without photos available but I had no choice. When I got to the hotel I realised why. I was given a basement room (the only one left with a double bed) which had to be accessed through a very old lift. In order to get to the room I had to go past a few trolleys full of clean/dirty linen and walk on carpeting that had seen better days. That said, the rooms were clean, the breakfast was modest but good and the room overlooked a very cute little garden. Guests are not given a key but rather they have to request one from reception everytime you go in. It's a bit annoying but not a big deal. Staying at this hotel reminded me how expensive accommodation can be in a European capital over the summer, but if you're planning on just sleeping in the hotel room, this hotel is a decent choice and the shortcomings are compensated by the relatively cheap price compared to other hotels in this expensive city.

Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

Fantastic Hotel, in a superb location, with excellent staff (particularly Reception), great breakfast and a brilliant, general ambience. There is also a very good bar area. The luggage room was helpful as our flight was evening time . Good IT facilities. Rooms very good with TV, coffee and bathrooms. I'll be back next year;
Stewart (Glasgow)

Room Tip: Graet rooms all round
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Prinsen Hotel? Share your experiences!