“You get what you pay for, maybe a bit more....” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Nadia

You added Hotel Nadia to your Saves list
Hotel Nadia
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Raadhuis Straat 51, 1016 DD Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Jordaan)   |
Ranked #65 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
New York City
“You get what you pay for, maybe a bit more....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2011

Based on the many very positive reviews, I think my expectations were a bit off. I'm not sure why people would say this is 'one of the nicest hotels in Amsterdam,' which is clearly not true. And 'lovely' is not a word I would pick, either. But the comments about the friendly and helpful staff and convenient location are all absolutely true.

-My room was REALLY small. There were only a couple of feet between the bed and the wall all around, you couldn't even open the front door the whole way. No place to properly hang longer clothing - there was a rod on a book-shelf-type of fixture, though I would say it was good enough. I'm only 5'3" and live in a small NY apartment and am used to small. But maybe since the decor is not exactly fancy, the overall effect was not very cheerful.
-Only one small window for ventilation. Not sure if they have AC in the summer - would be good to check.
-The water kettle was partially filled and looked pretty gross inside, though the rest of the room cleaning seemed OK. But that glimpse inside just gave me an 'off' feeling.
-The location is on a busy street, which feels safer. But it's not a picturesque stretch, like some nearby boutique hotels.
-Staff is very warm and friendly. And they do carry your bags up the incredibly steep stairs with a smile.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (465)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2011

I booked this hotel for my sister and me for our stay in Amsterdam. It was exceptional value. It is located in the more artsy, Dutch part of the city. The rooms are small as are most in Europe but it was very clean, cozy and safe. The staff was amazing, everyone was so helpful. I will be staying here again my next trip to Amsterdam.

Room Tip: balcony was great but all rooms have nice views and windows
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
San Francisco
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2011

The Hotel Nadia is in a good location. Walking distance to everything. Very close to the best Indian restaurant and a very good pancake restaurant.
The rooms are very small. You couldn't open the door all the way because it hit a closet. When you sat on the toilet, your feet hung into the shower. The bed was tiny, full size for two people. The only issue was one person had to crawl out of bed because one side was pushed against the window.
The staircase when you enter is amazing. Very steep with very small steps. The hotel staff brought up all luggage to your room. Good thing because I don't think I'd make it:)
Architecture aside, the hotel staff was pleasant and helpful. The rooms were clean and breakfast was included (even though we never got up in time to go to it). I would stay here again. After all, you don't spend much time in the hotel room when you are in Amsterdam.

Room Tip: Canal view is nice, but bring ear plugs if you are on a lower floor. People outside can be loud and...
  • Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2011

I have never reviewed a property before now. After staying at Nadia hotel I simply had to. The room was awesome, with a private balcony over looking the streets and canals. The only one in Amsterdam I believe. The staff were always polite, helpful and most of all very friendly. The room was small, but safe and comfortable. There is a few stairs (like every hotel in Amsterdam) but they will help you with your bags. The location was excellent, and facilities were outstanding. The good out weighed any bad tenfold. I cant understand how anyone would not enjoy their experience at this hotel. I have stayed in Amsterdam numerous times at many hotels, guesthouses and usually stay somewhere different each time. It will be Nadia Hotel every time from now on. Thank you Hotel Nadia. See you soon!
A very happy customer!!!
Michael C

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Mumbai (Bombay), India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2011

A lovely little hotel in the center of Amsterdam. Spent 5 nights end September. Run by the Manager Osam and his extremely helpful staff. The earlier reviews have been spot on. Had a small clean room with a full canal and church view. Did not find the church bells disturbing - in fact quite liked them. The rooms are small but have all the amenities - safe, coffee/tea maker/fridge (one that actually cools). Anything else you may need ( a hairdryer for instance) all you need to do is ask. The breakfast is more than adequate and tea/coffee are available in the breakfast room all day. When you come in from outside you are also offered a welcome drink to cool you off. Walking distance to Anne Frank's House and the Dam Square and the trams just a 2 minute walk away. Good restaurants around like the Il Panorama, Argentinian Grill and Pancake Factory. The only negative was the shower head - if they changed that I'd rate it a 5.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Derby, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2011

Found this hotel on Trip Advisor and booked in March 2011.The trip was for my husband's 50th birthday,when we arrived our bags were carried up to reception and we were given a welcome drink. As we were early we went out for a walk and some lunch and upon arriving back at the Nadia we were given our room.The room was next to the breakfast room and had a balcony which over looked the street and the canal, also had a beautiful view of the Westerkerk.There was also a gorgeous bunch of flowers for my husband with a happy birthday card attached.
Room was small but clean, bed was comfortable and noise from road was not bad at all.
I was given a hairdryer to use during my stay and offered use of an iron if required.
Breakfast was lovely ...croissants,bread and cheese,orange juice, coffee,tea,cake,yoghurt and small choice of fruit.
The staff are wonderful they are all very polite,speak very good english and can't do enough to help you during your stay.
It is an ideal location to stay in as it is not far from many of the well known tourist attractions.
We will definately be returning there in the future.
Thankyou to Osam and all his staff for a wonderful stay.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2011

We stayed at hotel Nadia for three nights in early September. Thankfully the reviews here are mostly correct. We had a lovely stay. European hotels are generally are small but quaint. Don't expect anything fancy - you'll be disappointed.

We were given a room for three even though it was only me and my partner but it gave us extra room. The room comes with a safe, tea and coffee making facilities, a mini fridge and a fan. The fridge was loud at night so we had to unplug it. Our room came with an en suite with a shower. This was clean and shampoo/body gel was supplied.

The room was clean and the beds were comfortable enough. We slept well. It did get quite hot in the room so we did leave a window slightly open.

On arrival the manager offered us a free drink which was a lovely touch. Our suitcases were carried upstairs by a staff member and we were met in our room by flowers welcoming us to the hotel. The hotel comes with free wi-fi which in this day and age most people see as a must.

Other reviewers here are not exaggerating, the stairs are very steep and there is no lift. If you are elderly or have trouble getting up stairs this is not the hotel for you.

Breakfast wasn't huge but it was a decent quality. Tea, coffee, croissants, fruit and some other bits and pieces.

In near enough five whole days we saw nearly all of Amsterdam so we won't be going back anytime soon. But we would have no hesitation in booking Nadia again. The staff are very friendly and speak good english and we had a really enjoyable, easy holiday.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Nadia? Share your experiences!