“Bring a flashlight for the bathroom” 4 of 5 stars
Review of De L'Europe Amsterdam

You added De L'Europe Amsterdam to your Saves list
De L'Europe Amsterdam
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Nieuwe Doelenstraat 2 - 14, 1012 CP Amsterdam, The Netherlands   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #14 of 346 Hotels in Amsterdam
Littleton, Colorado, United States
“Bring a flashlight for the bathroom”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

The De L'Europe is a lovely hotel right in the center of everything! However, their bathrooms are very dimly lit and impossible to attempt to apply make-up, even at the highest setting. We took our own mirror and put it next to the window so we could see what we were doing. Also, the Breakfast Buffet isn't very good and ordering off the menu will cost you 60 Euros for two Eggs Benedict, two orange juices, and coffee.

Overall, the hotel and staff were wonderful, but a few things need a little improvement.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the canal
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (211)
Long Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

This hotel is THE place to stay in Amsterdam. This centrally located, historic in architecture, has a GREAT Michelin two star restaurant and the best concierges of any place I have ever stayed. All their restaurant recommendations were excellent and they were in the know about arranging great tours in and out of the city as well as having access to 'head of the line" museum passes which are essential for the Van Gogh and exhibits at the city's other tope museums.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

My wife and I have stayed in a number of hotels on a short stay basis and I have also stayed in some quality hotels through business - many of which have been worthy of positive feedback.

However I have just come back from four nights in Amsterdam where we stayed at De L'Europe and it was the best experience ever.

Whilst the quality of the hotel and its location are major pluses, the hotel staff were unquestionably the finest we have ever experienced and this made our trip truly memorable.

Staff longevity and loyalty to the management of this family run hotel are hallmarks of the hotel's success - from: doorman to reception to concierge to room service to best of all, the bar staff of Freddy's Bar, this hotel has it all.

The hotel trade is above all a people business and in this respect I urge anyone who reads this review to book up Hotel De L'Europe and enjoy its unique charms.

My wife and I cannot wait for our next opportunity to return.

Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Vienna
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

When entering the lobby the first impression is that not very much did happen.
However there is nothing further from the truth.
The hotel been almost completely refurbished without touching its character of tradition and quality.

Room Tip: Really not relevant perhaps the higher the better
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

My wife and I travelled to Amsterdam this past Easter. It was my second trip to the hotel L'Europe, the first for my wife. My previous trip to this property was almost two years ago on a father daughter trip to Europe. I was so impressed with the hotel, I had to go back and take my wife. We were in Amsterdam for Easter so a holiday was in full force when we got there. While we both enjoy Amsterdam immensely, after long days of seeing the city with large crowds, the Hotel L'Europe was our escape to a peaceful island in the city centre. The room we had overlooked the Amstel River and was spacious, clean and quiet. But again, the main impact of any stay are the staff you interact with. Thank you Florian for making our pre arraignments so easy and as I just mentioned, the room was fantastic. We entrusted the Concierge to make all of our bookings for museums and to a morning trip to the Keukenof Gardens near Lisse. All were handled perfectly and were exactly what we wanted. Please use them for any of your arrangements, it will save you the hassles of getting tickets at the museum or tour operator and a lot of time! Want a fantastic treat? Get a reservation at Bord'eau. All I can say is wow! This wouldn't be complete if I didn't say thanks to Marcel and Gert! Great to see you again and what a fantastic Steak Frittes with brown peppercorn sauce you had the kitchen cook for my wife and myself. Those looking for a great sanctuary in the middle of the city, come to the L'Europe and relax from a busy day in Amsterdam

Room Tip: River View!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

The hotel was just out of this world the room, the pillows the everything it's just amazing. The pool was also just beyond compere aand straight from the beginning everyone there was so helpfull. Sorry about all the spelling mistakes and please please please check out some of my other reviews.

Stayed April 2015, traveled solo
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Just got back from two nights at the de l'europe on the recommendation of friends and the experience was sub-par. Checked in early and was told that while room was not ready, we would be upgraded to a junior suite. Was very clear that our only request was that the room not face the interior or a brick wall. Were assured this would not be the case. Further, we were never told what amenities we were entitled to as part of fine hotels booking, no explanation of food credit, no discussion of breakfast hours... Went about our day in Amsterdam and loved the city. Got back exhausted and ready to shower and recharge. Were taken to a back elevator behind reception (not unlike our day activity of a visit to Ann Frank's house) to a room with barely any windows on the third floor facing a brick wall. Really not what we had in mind and by the way the decor was like a worn out brothel. After complaining, we were taken to a different room, not a suite, but at least with two windows and some sunlight. The room was furnished with black wallpaper, the lighting completely insufficient, the bathroom had no natural light and a door that opened directly into the bed. We took it but could hardly see as it was so dark. Complained about that, as well as a television that went on and off at will. Was told there had never been any previous problems with the room, although when the repairman came up he told us that in fact the whole hotel has been having this problem. Anyway, can go on and on...only positive is concierge, who was most helpful. The manager, who clearly reads tripadvisor, because she responds to positive reviews here,never reached out to us during our stay. No effort was made to bring us a lamp or try to correct our negative experience. On checkout, she happened to be at the desk and offered an apology of sorts, but made no gesture of good will. My feeling is that your experience here definitely depends upon what room you get, there is no consistency. Loved the city and there are other great choices, I was torn between this and the waldorf, clearly made the wrong choice, hopefully you won't....

Room Tip: My guess is the only good rooms are the large suites that face the canal. Interior rooms are dark a...
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Petra G, Director of Rooms at De L'Europe Amsterdam, responded to this review, 6 days ago
Dear Susan S.
Thank you for choosing De L’Europe on your recent visit to Amsterdam and for taking the time to share your feedback with us.
We are very disappointed to learn that we did not meet your expectations. We take pride in our high level of service and I was sorry to read that you were not only disappointed by the room that was allocated but that we did not manage to rectify it to your satisfaction.
Please rest assured that your feedback has been taken seriously and addressed with our team in order to ensure that action is taken to avoid this from happening in the future.
I would like to invite you to contact me directly to further discuss your stay, kindly send me your contact details via my personal email: pgabrielson@leurope.nl.
I hope to hear from you.
Kind regards,
Petra

Been to De L'Europe Amsterdam? Share your experiences!