“A classic hotel that never disappoints” 5 of 5 stars
Review of De L'Europe Amsterdam

You added De L'Europe Amsterdam to your Saves list
De L'Europe Amsterdam
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Nieuwe Doelenstraat 2 - 14, 1012 CP Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Red Light District)   |
Hotel packages
Special Price
15% off room rate
Ranked #16 of 345 Hotels in Amsterdam
Los Angeles, CA
“A classic hotel that never disappoints”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

From start to finish, my stay this week at Hotel De L'Europe was terrific. I have stayed there a number of times, and I am always happy that I did. My upgraded room was actually a suite overlooking the canal in the renovated, beautiful section.

For the first time, I had breakfast at the hotel, and when I asked for something not on the menu, the chef was able to accommodate me.

The concierge provided invaluable assistance, and the front desk staff was charming and helpful.

I highly recommend this gorgeous hotel.

Stayed January 2015, traveled solo
DeLeurope, Guest Relations Manager at De L'Europe Amsterdam, responded to this review, 2 days ago
Dear guest,
Thank you for sharing your feedback with us and for having chosen once again De L' Europe as your residence of choice when visiting Amsterdam.
It is always very nice to hear from one of our regular guests and I will definitely share your kind words with our staff, in particular with the front desk staff, the concierge and the breakfast staff.

Thank you for having taken the time to write about your last stay and I hope to personally welcome you back soon!

With warm regards,
Guest Relations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (198)
South Bend, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

My wife and I stayed towards the latter part of last year and were very impressed. The service level is top notch with multiple cleanings per day of the room, a nice bar running parallel to the canal, and a location that puts most of the old city within easy biking or walking distance. We would typically go for a younger more "hip" vibe than this hotel has, but we actually quite enjoyed the ambiance with the oversized reproductions of Dutch Masters paintings. Our room was very nice although the view was of the roof of the building across the street, but this is to be expected in large cities.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,
Thank you very much for your kind words regarding your stay at De L' Europe in November last year. Feedback is important to us to continuously monitor and improve our services and facilities and therefore it gives us great pleasure to read that you thought our service level was top notch, your room and bar very nice and the hotel in a great location.

Looking forward to welcoming you back in the future,

With warm regards,
Syracuse, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

Hotel is the epitome of service and recent renovations have returned this Gem back to it's due place. Staff was extremely courteous and accommodating. Details of service were noted and appreciated.

We had a canal view jr. suite which was lovely - nice colors, rich fabrics, high tech, all the amenities you need (robes, slippers, umbrella, morning paper, coffee/tea, minibar, desk & Wii fi) very quiet. Decorations include reproductions of Dutch Master's artwork which is a nice touch. Spacious bedroom with sitting area and very large and well appointed bathroom with both Tub and Shower. Bed was large and extremely comfortablebut the sitting area chairs were not so comfortable, needed pillows but we didn't spend a lot of time there. Biggest issue in the rooms was the lighting they just didn't put off enough light, even in the bathroom. Put a bit of a damper on things I'm afraid.

Hotel location is really wonderful - walking distance to many of key spots Museumplein, Jordaan, Palace, Shopping, Anne Frank House etc. Transit stop also right out the door. Concierge great for help with any sights or reservations you want. I was celebrating my birthday and they provided us with a lovely note, flowers and chocolates. Nice touch. Hotel isn't cheap but then neither is the experience or sevice. Was a wonderful stay for my first visit to Amsterdam.

Room Tip: Room #224 is a lovely canal view but still relatively quiet.
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Tripadvisor. We are delighted to read that you liked our location, it is indeed within walking distance of many key spots, our staff (we will definitely share your kind words with them) and your room with all its facilities and amenities!
Regarding the lights issue, we are currently in the process of adding / installing lights wherever required.

Hopefully I will get the pleasure to personally welcome you back to De L' Europe in the not too distant future.

Orange County, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We spent two nights at De L'Europe in December and though I wish I could give it a glowing review, it just didn't do it for us. But bear in mind that it may just a matter of personal preference. We also were in a room for disabled people which made it a bit different, though I am not sure if the other rooms are any different.

The Good:
-The location is absolutely awesome. It is close to just about everything.
-The view from our Canal View Junior Suite was very nice. Definitely worth it for a canal view room.
-The room was large with lots of closet space.
-The staff was generally very helpful (only exception was the lady in the lobby bar area who we felt like we had to hunt down to get a drink).
-The food was good in the restaurant.

The Less Good:
-We felt like the hotel has an identity crisis. On the one hand it is rather old-world-y. On the other, the room had various pieces of funky modern furniture. It just wasn't cohesive and felt kind of thrown together as a result.
-The lighting in our room was absolutely awful! At night, it was impossible to find anything in our suitcases. I was constantly moving this lamp around.

All in all, the hotel seems to sort of lack polish. It was a lot of little things. I wanted to love it but just didn't. And for the price, I would definitely go elsewhere next time.

Room Tip: Canal view is definitely preferred.
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
DeLeurope, Guest Relations Manager at De L'Europe Amsterdam, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear guest,
Thank you very much for sharing your feedback with us and for having chosen De L' Europe as your residence of choice when visiting Amsterdam this last December.
Feedback is most important to us to continuously monitor and improve our services and facilities.
We therefore appreciate your comments about the furniture in your room and the light plan. As you indicated that you were staying in one of our handicap rooms I would like to point out that those particular rooms are slightly different furniture wise from the non-handicap rooms and not comparable.
Regarding the lights, we are in the process of adjusting and where desired, adding lights in some of the rooms.

Thank you once again for your review and please do not hesitate to contact me via direct email should you decide to stay with us again in the future.

With kind regards,
jgraetz@leurope.nl
Begur, Spain
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

Great location for exploring Amsterdam. Concierge was fantastic, exempilary and reserved us excellent restaurants and tables. Sadly thats were my high praises end. This hotel really only gave me an average stay, with a high pricece tag.

• Stayed February 2014
Dear guest,
Thank you for having taken the time to write a review on Tripadvisor regarding your stay in February last year.
I am pleased to read that you liked our location and thought our concierge was fantastic; I have shared your kind words with him.
So sorry to read that you thought your stay was average; should you wish to make a reservation in the future please do not hesitate to contact me directly in order for me to personally overlook your stay.

With kind regards,
Escazu, Costa Rica
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

This is the first hotel we stayed at when we began our annual Amsterdam visits. It is very nicely decorated and inviting in the lobby area. The staff are excellent, including the doorman who was very pleasant to speak with as well as very informed about the "spots" we were looking for. The location is excellent and the rooms are nice enough. I think it is quite pricey for the quality overall of the rooms.

They do give you a muffin every day in the room that is one of the best pieces of sweet heaven that I have ever tried!!!

Room Tip: I would suggest something on the canal side if possible. The rooms vary so greatly that no 2 appear...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Dear guest,
Thank you very much for your kind words regarding your stay in June last year. It is always nice to read about our staff being excellent, in particular our doorstaff and that you liked our turndown cookies!
Looking forward to welcoming you back to De L' Europe in the not too distant future.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

After checking in I attempted to wait in the lobby for friends. As I pulled out a chair in which to sit an employee rushed up to tell me all the chairs were "reserved". As I stood and waited no one arrived to claim the reserved chairs.

In addition, the hotel is devoid of color and up to date design. What was once a grand European hotel just isn't. Needless to say, I checked out after one night.

• Stayed December 2014
Dear guest,
Thank you for sharing your feedback with us in regards to your stay at De L' Europe. It saddens me to read about your experience in the lounge. Even if the chairs in a certain area had been reserved for a special event or group we should have assisted you with an alternative seating. This was definitely not up to our usual standard of service.
Regarding the interior design; our hotel has undergone a major renovation just 4 years ago and the general feedback from our guests is that it is warm, inviting and colorful. I am sorry if you did not like the style.

Thank you once again for your input and please do not hesitate to contact me directly for your next visit to Amsterdam, should you decide on our hotel, in order for me to personally overlook your stay.

jgraetz@leurope.nl

Been to De L'Europe Amsterdam? Share your experiences!