“Favorite stay after a month in Europe!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of De L'Europe Amsterdam

Save Saved
You added De L'Europe Amsterdam to your Saves list
De L'Europe Amsterdam
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Nieuwe Doelenstraat 2 - 14, 1012 CP Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Red Light District)   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #14 of 345 Hotels in Amsterdam
Greensboro, North Carolina
“Favorite stay after a month in Europe!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014 via mobile

I stayed here on my first stop in a month long trip to Europe. Out of 5 countries and 5 hotels of the same caliber, Hotel De L'Europe was by far my favorite and the best. I was upgraded to a suite that was absolutely beautiful. The staff was extremely helpful with everything from my technology questions to shipping home a huge package for me so I didn't
have to worry about finding a post office. Every time I walked by the front desk, I was greeted with genuine smiles and hellos. After a week, I was ready to see if I could book my next summer's stay!

Stayed June 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014

This hotel is not trendy, new, "themed" or any of the other fashionable paths that hoteliers are taking lately to distinguish themselves. It is simply a great example of the old-fashioned values of service, attentiveness to detail, friendliness and elegance.

The location is perfect and makes it relatively easy to get to any of the many points of interest around Amsterdam. The breakfasts are excellent and their setting is superb. The rooms are commodious and the bathrooms much larger than found in most parts of Europe. There is even enough storage space (though, because we had a suite, I cannot attest to whether that is true for every room). The staff is very friendly but extremely efficient. You are made welcome from the time you arrive at the front door and are greeted by a wonderful group of people at that door.

We arrived early and our room, unfortunately, couldn't be made available before standard check-in time. But the hotel couldn't have been nicer about it and held our luggage and sent us to a wonderful lunch spot (where the Dutch love to go) in the neighborhood while also suggesting a couple of walks in the city.

About the only complaint, and a very minor one at that, was that the high-tech lighting system resisted our best efforts to properly control it for about an hour on our first night. Be sure to ask for a demonstration and watch carefully. But that was a small glitch in an otherwise wonderful stay.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Pontefract, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

The title sums this place up. unbelievable. Not the cheapest place I have ever stayed it is one of the best I have ever stayed.

Highly recommended. Beautiful rooms. World beating breakfasts in a perfect location for our stay. Could not ask for more at all.

Will be our choice for the next visit without a doubt!

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Esher, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

From the moment we arrived the staff were helpful, friendly and efficient. I had booked a junior suite but decided to treat us to an upgrade as it was my birthday. I upgraded to a one bedroom suite overlooking the river Amstell which is wonderful but pricey - not sure it's worth the extra 200 euros a night! That said the room had everything you could wish for and, for a city centre hotel, was very spacious with nice high ceilings and picture windows with amazing views.

The hotel itself has arguably the best position in Amsterdam with a great terrace right on the river. We booked dinner on the terrace one night (and this is my only moan!) and were told by the concierge that we would get a really good table as we were were guests in the hotel. We got the worst table by the kitchen entrance, on the inside - not by the river, with people coming past us all evening. I had asked the lady who seated us if the people who had tables on the river were guests at the hotel and she assured me they were. We then got talking to two different tables who had the good seats and found out that they were not guests at the hotel at all! We had four nights there so they should have said that there was a problem that night and we would have picked another night.
A small niggle in what was otherwise a perfect long weekend in the Hotel De L'Europe. I would definitely recommend this hotel and look forward to returning.

Room Tip: A room overlooking the river is great but you pay for it!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
The World
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

Sorry for the length of this, but this disappointment requires some detail to understand.

The elegant Hotel De L’Europe was our choice again for this stay in Amsterdam. Our first visit to this grand old dame was 37 years ago, and we enjoyed two more through the years, each of which harbor fond memories of a classic luxury hotel. Since our last stay, the De L’Europe underwent a very extensive renovation and “upgrade” in 2006, but unfortunately, not all have ended up for the best.

First, the positives that have continued. Unchanged is the exterior a beautiful building in a wonderful location overlooking the junction of two canals. The public areas are stunningly handsome and now quite contemporary. The staff, with one exception mentioned below, is professional and extend service on a very high level. Finally, if you have too much money, a stay here will help to relieve you of some of the excess. A single continental breakfast is 30 Euros, while a snack of three fairly small pieces of cheese with two crackers is 13 Euros. But of course this is not too unusual for a hotel where the rooms start at about $600 a night.

The major disappointment was our newly renovated Deluxe Suite. It was very slick in style and featured high technology. But it lacked the refinement of some key details to insure it actually functioned easily and well. The lighting, a basic, was abysmal. The entry hall featured a large replica of a famous Dutch Master’s painting to carry out the theme of the new Dutch Masters Wing. But its location in the hall was so dark that the painting largely disappeared into the wall behind. The only lighting in the entry, two Halogen or LED ceiling lights the size of silver dollars, was completely inadequate. One would have expected adequate lighting in any case so the hallway looked like something other than a cave, but certainly adequate lighting should have been provided for the painting. This was a strange but obvious oversight. The bedroom also had very poor lighting. A single window overlooking an inner courtyard contributed a small amount of natural light during the day. Some dim indirect lighting was emitted around the edges of a large suspended ceiling panel. The only other illumination sources were a floor lamp, two small bedside table lamps, and a comically inadequate lamp on the desk that was otherwise in perpetual darkness. During the day, the sitting room benefited from two large, nice windows overlooking a pretty canal (wonderful!), but at night, this area was also very poorly lit. Nice lighting is something I thought I could for granted, apparently not so when I book an expensive luxury suite.

Greatly complicating the lighting issue was a lighting control system that was anything but intuitive. Some of the lights (we never quite figured out exactly which ones) operated by motion sensors in some illogical combination with wall switches, supposedly turning on and off according to the presence of persons moving about. Automatic night lights for safety were supposedly included. But this system had a mind of its own. Sometimes when I traveled from bed to bathroom and back at 2 a.m., no lights came on so I walked in darkness. But at other times, walking through a room, a light was triggered. Sometimes secondary low-level lighting stayed on in the bathroom all night. Sometimes it shut itself off. A light INSIDE a cabinet at the foot of the bed came on when I walked past although it shed no light outside the cabinet to guide my way. These lights had no obvious logic, occasionally turning off after varying periods of time without motion in the room but sometimes not. I asked one of the room service waiters about the lighting, and he simply shrugged his shoulders.

The hotel website mentioned that these rooms had sliding doors “for privacy,” in our case there were two separating the sitting room, entry hall, and bedroom Yes, indeed, and they are CLEAR GLASS, with a straight shot view from the entry hall and sitting room into the bedroom! One should not change clothes in the bedroom with guests in the sitting room unless they are very close friends.

The furnishings in the sitting room were substandard, consisting of a sofa, a coffee table, and a large, low armchair. When room service delivered breakfast on a trolly that also functioned as a breakfast table, we moved a desk chair from the bedroom for one and the other of us sat on the low coffee table to eat.

A service flaw: One evening we stopped at the hotel’s Freddy’s bar for a couple of beers before walking to dinner. Freddy’s is attractively done and intimately small. The bartender was friendly and provided very nice service. After dinner, we topped again for another beer. A different bartender was on duty and he was cool diffidence personified. We were the only patrons, but he could look our direction and yet not see us with our empty glasses until the next time he tried to glance through us again, so I waved at him. The same trick was required to get the check. This all occurred with a studied coolness that approached being icy. This guy needs to find a different profession.

Overall, the experience should be much closer to flawless. Because of the basic shortcomings of the suite, the experience was unacceptable considering the hefty tab.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Milan, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

I have been at De l'Europe Amsterdam many years ago, and I remembered it as a very classic and elegant hotel. I have visited it again at the beginning of July and I have to say that after the refurbishment they managed to make the property even better. I really like the style of the hall, very cozy and intimate, the rooms are confortable, quiet, with gorgeous bathroom, quality amenities (the most confortable slippers I have ever tried!). Each room is equipped with iPad. The staff is helpful and smiling. The food is great.
The location of the hotel is perfect, centrally located with stunning views on the canals. The hotel has also a wonderful SPA, which unfortunately I have not tried, but looked extremely inviting!
I would suggest tthe hotel to travellers who love classical enviroment with modern touch.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Estoril, Portugal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

Very Central, very good accomodation. I have been in a suite, and the experience was great. Good ammenities. The staff is always ready to help you. I suggest to rent a bicicle at the hotel, and visit the city .

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to De L'Europe Amsterdam? Share your experiences!