“Luxurious stay in Amsterdam” 4 of 5 stars
Review of De L'Europe Amsterdam

Save Saved
You added De L'Europe Amsterdam to your Saves list
De L'Europe Amsterdam
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Nieuwe Doelenstraat 2 - 14, 1012 CP Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Red Light District)   |
Hotel packages
Offers & Announcements
Free room upgrade
Ranked #13 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
London, United Kingdom
“Luxurious stay in Amsterdam”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014

Stayed here on a business trip over 9-11 May 2014. The room was sumptuous, king size bed, overlooking the canal, beautiful, marbled and shiny bathrooms with large shower and quasi jacuzzi tub. Business room very spacious, good technical support, and excellent catering service, both for quality of staff and food. Was packed with American tourists, clearly this must be a sought after hotel for well offs, middle aged tourists, seeking centrally located, trustworthy accomodation. If i were in Amsterdam as a tourist, i am not sure i would choose it as, given the very central location, there are crowds as soon as you step out of the lobby, and the lobby itself being very noisy and packed. Also, it does not have any intimacy or cosy atmosphere, but rather the grandness of a large scale, luxury hotel. So clearly it depends on what one is looking for. A couple of "improvements" areas: i arrived around 12 and rooms would be generally available as of 2. That is fine, but for a 5 start hotel where we had booked about 30 (expensive) rooms, i would have expected a more efficient and forthcoming attitude by the reception desk staff to try and accomodate my early arrival. Secondly, there was some confusion with the car reservation service again by the reception desk, possibly just a question of bad luck but it did not help. Lastly, i asked for in room breakfast and they seemed to have forgotten and then delivered something which looked like they had tried to make up at the last minute. Again, it was probably bad luck but my expectations gets higher the higher the stars the hotel claims, so this this is the reason for my lower rating on service and breakfast.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (178)
Port of Spain, Trinidad
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014

I spent 4 days in Amsterdam this week and stayed at this amazing hotel. The service was impeckable and the food at the restaurant was great. Freddy's Bar, named after Freddy Hieneken, was a very cool place to hang out and get a brewery fresh Hieneken on tap. The hotel is centrally located and the hotel rooms were very large and well appointed. They spared no detail in ensuring that I had a memorable stay in Amsterdam. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2014

We had a lovely junior suite on the canal with a huge and very comfy bed. The hotel's location is a major strongpoint in a picturesque part of town, walkable to all the major attractions. Concierge came up with some good dinner ideas and were helpful arranging a visit to see the tulips. This is a grand old hotel that has been thoughtfully modernised and works for business or leisure travellers. One downside was breakfast though which was a bit basic and not of very good quality, and no in the same canal-side room it used to be in a few years back. Otherwise pretty faultless.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Salt Lake City, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2014

I spent a week in Amsterdam last month and had the pleasure of staying at this hotel for two nights. My first criteria is always location, and the location of this hotel is fantastic. It is in city center, right on a canal, and very close to Dam Square but a couple streets away so as to be removed from the seediness and crowds. My room had a lovely balcony that overlooked the canal. The other outstanding feature of this hotel is the customer service and, particularly, the concierge services. The concierge staff are extremely knowledgeable, very patient and friendly, give excellent recommendations, and are able to offer tours that surpass any others I could find in Amsterdam. The tours certainly are not cheap (and some seem a bit overpriced), but the quality is excellent. As to all of the hotel staff, I agree with another reviewer's statement that they are polite and helpful, but not snotty or aloof. The rooms were nice (and the bathrooms were especially nice) and worthy of a 5-star hotel (they are middle of the road among rooms in other five-star hotels I've stayed). Having an iPad in the room and a U.S. electric outlet was great. Overall, I was VERY happy with my stay at De L'Europe and would not stay anywhere else in Amsterdam.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Virginia Water, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014

Spent a romantic weekend here with my husband. Lovely bottle of chilled wine was waiting for us on arrival. Good location with public transport directly across the street. Beautifully appointed, meticulous room had every amenity - ipad, coffee maker, make-up mirror and a luxurious, oversized tub. I never sleep well the first night in a hotel, but the bed and super comfy pillows provided me with a wonderful rest each night. Excellent breakfast. Staff is very helpful, offered great dining suggestions. Nothing was too much trouble. Highly recommend.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Haifa, Israel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

I've been fortunate to stay in a few luxury hotels around Europe, and this was definitely one of the best: the staff were polite, yet helpful (and not aloof); the room was luxurious (the bed super comfortable) and had nice little perks like in-room iPad; the breakfast was plentiful, varied, leisurely, and best of all located above the canals, so it had fantastic atmosphere (I had to be pried away from just sitting there eating pastries, drinking coffee, and watching the view). And one additional perk that we loved: the indoor heated swimming pool was refreshing after a day in the city, plus it had strong jets so that you could swim "laps" while actually staying in place.
Given that hotels in Amsterdam are expensive and not always good value, I think this is one of the places where you take some of the Euros you've saved in life and splurge on a rare pleasure of staying in a classy hotel within a beautiful European city.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

We stayed in April 2014.

Location is excellent and everything was within walking distance...check it out on Google maps.
We were inadvertently upgraded ( didn't realise until checkout) but to the Hotel's credit they did did not make an issue of the extra cost.

The suite was very comfortable with its own balcony overlooking the canals, the WIFI was included and fast enough. The decorating style was eclectic and I struggle to believe that a professional decorator was involved, but we slept well.

One thing to note...the rooms are VERY dark, Readers may not believe this but I could not see the controls of the coffee machine in the wardrobe...there is no lighting at all in the wardrobe and I could not see the contents of my suitcase without pulling it off the stand and placing it next to the window. (see my photo) When I asked about the lighting the front desk provided an LED lamp which was so useless that the whole thing became funny. This didn't really spoil our stay but it is really idiosyncratic...if you stay here, pack a small flashlight. I promise you will need it.

The temperature controls were quite quirky as well and we could never get it to stay on the desired setting. When we returned at the end of each day it was always on a different setting to the one we had set it to.

Our suite overlooked the canals and had a wonderful outlook. It was quiet at night although there was a problem with our double glazed doors which the maintenance people didn't really know how to fix. and which remained unfixed up to our departure. I'm willing to bet they still are.

Breakfast was not included in our rate. It was tasty but the cost was eye watering. I assume this is the norm with upmarket hotels in Amsterdam as much as it seems to be in Australia. We had breakfast in an eatery a few minutes walk from the hotel for about 1/3 the price but if you choose to do the same, take cash as they only accepted a local form of credit card, not the Mastercard, Visa or Amex I took with me.

The Bord'Eau restaurant, within the hotel recently received a second Michelin star so we were keen to try it. Probably we chose the wrong dishes and I'm reluctant to criticise because you would expect Michelin to know better than I, but I didn't like it and didn't think it was worth the cost, unlike other expensive restaurants at which I have eaten. Hopefully it was just me.

On a more positive note, the staff were very helpful (LED lamp aside), the doorman in particular was friendly and engaging and a rental car was organised to be delivered to the hotel in a very efficient manner. The unfortunate dispute over unauthorised credit card charges by the rental-car firm since then is probably not the hotel's fault, but if I were to ask the hotel to organise a rental car again I would try a couple of the big names first. The biggest attraction was that the car was delivered to and picked up from the hotel. The big names may not do that. When we picked up the car to drive to Keukenhof gardens (which is really a must see and was one of the highlights of our Amsterdam visit) the doorman insisted we take some water which ended up as a really good idea.

In short, I'm not quite sure this is a 5 star hotel as I've experienced 5 star in the past but it was very good and the staff were friendly and helpful. A slightly mixed bag (remember to take a flashlight) but I would stay again and would encourage readers to give it serious consideration.

Room Tip: Check the menu at Bord'Eau restaurant to make sure there are dishes you might like to try. If r...