“Like a slice of heaven!..” 5 of 5 stars
Review of De L'Europe Amsterdam

Save Saved
You added De L'Europe Amsterdam to your Saves list
De L'Europe Amsterdam
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Nieuwe Doelenstraat 2 - 14, 1012 CP Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Red Light District)   |
Hotel packages
Special Rate
Free room upgrade
Ranked #14 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
East Hampton
“Like a slice of heaven!..”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2014

Outside of the corporate feel, this place is the money. We had a luxury canal view room that was unbelievable! It was decorated in Louis XV style, and huge. It was so nice, that it was difficult to leave! Amsterdam is a lovely city, with gorgeous architecture and canals, boats, etc., so we did make it out and around town, but getting back to our hotel and enjoying Heineken on tap at the hotel, across the street al fresco, and pretty much everywhere was special! The hotel is centrally located to everything - likely the best spot in town, and didn't realize it until stayed at a number of other hotels (quite expensive ones, like Blakes (may have changed names since), the Okura, and others). Don't be fooled, this is where you want to be! There are apparently some charming converted townhouse hotels that are supposedly quite good, but why chance it? We chanced it with Blakes, actually just looked up and now it's the "Dylan," and were actually horrified at the dark chambered rooms that were claustrophobic, and the common areas that were overly modern and white and surreal - not our style, and apparently not that of most! Freddy Heineken should be proud of his lasting legacy here.

Room Tip: Get a canal view room - period!
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
Hereford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2014

Top class service from a most obliging team.A delightful room afforded us a comfortable and restful stay.The crowning glory is the world-class restaurant which will surely have a 3rd Michelin star awarded next year.

Tifton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2014

We stayed 2 wonderful nights at this first class hotel in Amsterdam before our Uniworld River Cruise. Before we even unpacked our luggage the super concierge recommended that we take the canal cruise from the hotel. That was the highlight of our stay and our photos were gorgeous. The pictures of our hotel at night were spectacular and we enjoyed our table by the window in the bar with the nicest bartenders. The fresh flowers, nothing but beautiful and unusual orchids, were breathtaking. The doorman was so helpful in finding us restaurants and even helped me get into the luggage room to change into warmer clothes in my suitcase!!! The room was the prettiest room we have ever stayed in , a room fit for a king and queen! We speak English and the entire reception staff were so helpful . Our pictures were posted on facebook and everyone loved them and wished that they were there ! We hope to come back!!

Room Tip: I can't imagine a bad room in this hotel!!!
Jackson, Wyoming
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2014

We stayed only one night at the end of a cruise, but we were totally impressed and, therefore, satisfied! It has been refurbished in the recent past and we had a newly added room. The room was superb and was very quiet even though overlooking a busy canal. The service couldn't have been better. We have been fortunate to have stayed in many of the "big name" hotels in Europe, Paris and London for example, and this is as good as any of them!

We ate dinner in the Brasserie and it was also superb. My wife, who knows her food, said that her pan-fried sole was as good as any she had ever had, including 3-star Michelin restaurants in Paris.

While not inexpensive, for a world-class hotel in a great location in a major city in Europe, we thought the value was excellent.

We have stayed at other Amsterdam hotels through the years, but this one is our new "home" in Amsterdam!

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2014

I stayed for two nights, the rooms are spacious, and seem to be recently refurbished. Staff was fine, i had no issues. The breakfast buffet was very limited in choices.
In general, I think it's good hotel, not value for money.

Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Knoxville, Tennessee
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2014

I will net this out:

Cons:

- Requested room to be made up at 10AM, returned to hotel at 11:30 - not made up, made 2nd request to hotel staff "I am so sorry" at 11:30 when leaving for lunch, returned at 12:30 - still not made up, 3rd request to to front desk "I am very sorry, will take of it immediately" at 12:30 - returned to hotel at 2:30PM - still not made up.

- Turn the TV on - 1 to 2 minutes later it would turn off by itself. Contacted front desk, "So sorry, will get it fixed right away". Next day turned TV on - 10 minutes later it turned off. Tried it again that evening, stayed on for 25 minutes, then turned off.

- Bathroom light turned on and off by itself. Contacted front desk, "Very sorry, will send someone fix it right away". About 30 minutes later 2 men came to the room and asked if I was having trouble with the bathroom light. I responded yes. He said he needed to get something and would return - never returned.

- I was told I was upgraded from a Superior to Deluxe room. I would hate to see the size of a Superior room. One window you could not see out of because it was in an alcove above a table. The room's wardrobe closet had 6 hangers with enough room barely for a few shirts, jacket and a pair of pants. Average amount of clothes for 2 people would never come close to fitting in this tiny space.

- Placed "Do Not Disturb" sign on door. Knock, Knock, opened door - hotel staff member wanted to check the minibar. I asked if he could come back later, he insisted "would just take a moment". I again requested he come back later and again he insisted and wouldn't leave. To get rid of him I agreed, he came in, checked the minibar, thanked me, and left. Maybe he couldn't read.

PROS:

- The elevator world well
- Wonderful check-out process
- Good internet
- Good location

Room Tip: If you need an adequate sized room with normal closet space, a window you can actually look out of...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
DeLeurope, Manager at De L'Europe Amsterdam, responded to this review, May 17, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for having taken the time to share your feedback and I am very sorry to read that you did not experience the service we like to pride ourselves with.

There is no excuse for the fact your Do Not Distrurb request was not honored and neither for you having to ask for Housekeeping service 3 times. Our rooms feature motion detector lighting which explains your bathroom lights going on by themselves however please accept my apologies if this was not explained properly.

I am sorry we did not get to meet whilst you were in residence but I would like to invite you to contact me directly via my personal email which is jbronsveld@leurope.nl in order to have the opportunity to turn things around.

Kind regards,

Jeroen Bronsveld
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2014

Visiting Amsterdam for business this week I decided to stay somewhere different and booked this small luxury hotel for 2 nights.

The hotel is well positioned and more traditional than the Conservatorium where others in my group decided to stay.

We booked through Expedia VIP Elite and were upgraded on check in to Junior Suites on the 3rd and 4th floors. Whilst small, the accommodation was very well appointed with small sitting rooms, iPad and full entertainment system although I found the lighting impossible to fathom, as indeed was the coffee maker which should come with clear instructions.

Comfortable big beds, quality bed linen and in room amenities and the biggest and heaviest pillows I have ever seen. Large, beautifully appointed floor to ceiling marble bathrooms with good showers.

Whist expensive by any standard this hotel gets my vote as a serious alternative to other allegedly 5 star hotels in Amsterdam.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business

Been to De L'Europe Amsterdam? Share your experiences!