“The best hotel I have stayed at in Amsterdam” 5 of 5 stars
Review of De L'Europe Amsterdam

Save Saved
You added De L'Europe Amsterdam to your Saves list
De L'Europe Amsterdam
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Nieuwe Doelenstraat 2 - 14, 1012 CP Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Red Light District)   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #15 of 345 Hotels in Amsterdam
“The best hotel I have stayed at in Amsterdam”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014

Over the last 17 years I have stayed in countless different hotels in Amsterdam and the hotel De L'Europe is without a doubt the best of the lot.
The most spacious rooms, the best service and staff and an excellent location.
They say you get what you pay for and although this hotel is not cheap, it is definitely value for money.
I will definitely be staying here again on my next visit.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (172)
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014

Just enjoyed a truly great two night stay at the De L'Europe. The hotel is very well located with the flower market, shopping, canal services and many a tram services just outside the door. The staff are a credit to the hotel and from the minute we walked through the door we felt so welcome. The room we had was lovely with everything you would need to relax after a long day out in Amsterdam. I would highly recommend this hotel for anyone looking for a comfortable relaxing hotel in the heart of Amsterdam.

Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2014

The staff made this excellent hotel even better. The room was spacious and the bathroom was conveniently designed. My room was kept spotless and resupplied. The air-conditioning was exceptionally quiet. Wifi was fast and consistent. The evening turndown service which is often lacking was routinely performed. We were often greeted by name by many of the staff. The breakfast buffet was excellent, but the coffee was not as good as the espresso machine in our room. You can not beat the location.

Room Tip: Room 228 had double sinks and 2 toilets and handicap compatible. Very convenient.
Kapalua, Hawaii
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014

I had the privilege of being a guest at the De L'Europe last October on two occasions. The rooms were exquisite; the service incomparable; and the food perfection. From the front desk and Concierge to the wait staff and the head Chef, the hotel had only one objective; to make sure I was a frequent repeat customer. It is centrally located in Amsterdam, just a short walk from shopping and museums. To see the most famous of the Dutch exports, one only had to cross a canal to find the flower market, and numerous cheese stores. If you wanted chocolate, that was nearby too.
While I was away from the hotel, it was named the best in Europe.

Room Tip: Book via the Platinum Amex Desk.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014

This hotel is a beautiful hotel with such an interesting history! Situated perfectly in the centre of town, it was a brilliant place to explore the city from. The staff were all so helpful. We were showed to our room which had an amazing view down the canals. The breakfast was great, with optional a la carte menu, and enjoying a G&T on the terrace watching the boats go by was the perfect place to enjoy the sunset. Thanks to all the staff for making our staff so memorable. I would definitely recommend it!

St. Albans, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014

We stayed at the De L'Europe Hotel over the Easter weekend (19th-20th) after originally booking another hotel but that booking could not be fulfilled and the De L'Europe was given as an alternative - thank goodness our originally booking couldn't be fulfilled as this should have been the hotel we booked first time round!

Upon arriving in Amsterdam at 9am we proceeded to walk for 15 mins from the train station to the hotel which is located bang in the middle of Amsterdam, a truly perfect spot! We entered into a lovely entrance way with rotating door (already feeling special at this point you may note!) and spoke to a very kind lady behind reception to ask about the check-in time. Now I knew from their website that check-in time was 2pm but I was pleasantly surprised when she informed me and my wife that we could check-in at 11am.

We returned after a couple of hours and a quite scrummy waffle and coffee! We were shown to our room which was as I can only describe as the most fantastic room we have ever stayed in. We had been very lucky to have been upgraded without even asking to what I believe was a Deluxe One Bedroom which had it's own separate lounge as well as massive double bed with a pop up flat screen tv at the bottom, snow white and the seven dwarfs would have been in their element!
There was Bose speakers all around the room/apartment (I get confused it was that big!) as well as a tv in the bath just so you don't miss your favorite programme while sudding yourself down.

Breakfast was included in the cost of our room, it was a buffet style arrangement which suited us fine, I like my own time and speed in the morning, we weren't pressured to eat and move on as there was enough space to cater for other hotel stayers.

There is also a spa included in the price, we headed down there after breakfast and bar one other couple we have the use all to ourselves, it was clean well presented and you felt ever bit looked after while you relaxed.

The staff were just brilliant, when we had any questions they were as helpful as they could be dedicating time and effort to us. We asked about where to eat for the evening and the gentlemen at reception was exceptional, he phoned around and got us a private sitting at a restaurant that was by all account full - that just goes to show that the local business respect the hotel and its staff and make special allowances, something that gets passed onto you if you ask nicely.

The following morning we were interested in renting some bicycles and experiencing the Amsterdam way, this is something that everyone should do it is amazing! Anyway I digress the same gentlemen knew that the Easter weekend would be very busy for rentals and did all he could to find us some but sadly no where had any, but once again the hotel came to our rescue, the gentleman informed us that the hotel had some bicycles we could use free of charge due to them not being up to standard - I expected the worse but I shouldn't have had, the hotels expectations are so high that their bad is my good, we were happy with the bicycles and to be honest it made our weekend to have use of them.

All in all we can easily say that for a short weekend the experience that me and my wife got from the De L'Europe was first class and if we had booked anywhere else we definitely would not have enjoyed ourselves as much.

We'd like to thank the Hotel and it's staff for our time there and we hope to be heading back there very soon for a lot longer this time.

I recommend to anyone reading this review to just stop looking and book it now you will not be disappointed!

(I used 'skyscanner hotels' to get the best price)

Room Tip: Just be kind at reception and you might be lucky of an upgrade.
Cardiff, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2014

I booked this hotel without reading any reviews booked it as it was the best value for 5 star on expedia for central amsterdam having come on to trip advisor i see this is voted 7th best in amsterdam and i can see why. Very good staff service the spa is excellent the food is very overpriced but there are hundreds of restaurant in walking distant. Last time i came amsterdam i stayed in another 5 star hotel but spent a fortune on taxis going places this hotel is right in dam square 5 mins walk from all tourists attractions. I will be returning as i do the amsterdam trip every year and will be staying here again

Room Tip: Book on expedia as you will get vip upgrade when booking there.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business

Been to De L'Europe Amsterdam? Share your experiences!