“Perfect choice” 5 of 5 stars
Review of De L'Europe Amsterdam

Save Saved
You added De L'Europe Amsterdam to your Saves list
De L'Europe Amsterdam
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Nieuwe Doelenstraat 2 - 14, 1012 CP Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Red Light District)   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #14 of 345 hotels in Amsterdam
San Jose, California
“Perfect choice”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2014

Luxury. Service. Satisfaction. Those are the three words that describe my impression of the Hotel De L'Europe. This was our first stay in Amsterdam and if ever we return, this will be where we will stay again. We were upgraded to a junior suite and upon entering, we were impressed with the room immediately. The king-sized bed had the biggest pillows I had ever seen! The room was immaculate and equipped with high-tech features that helped to enhance our stay. We loved the lighting feature which softly illuminates the floor and bathroom when you need to get up in the middle of the night without turning on the overhead lights or nightstand lamps and appreciated the lighting within the closet as well. An iPad was also available in the room for use. Rembrandt replicas adorned the walls, which was very appropriate for the location.

The staff...I'm not sure I can do the staff justice in trying to convey their dedication to service. I often felt they were going beyond the call of duty, but I am sure this is simply their standard service model. Excellent in every way!

The centralized location allowed for easy walking to all of our local destinations. I enjoyed how the Hotel De L'Europe is featured as one of the points of interest on the canal cruise we took, which helped validate how special this hotel is!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

611 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2014

Disappointing service. The receptionist tried to sell us an 'upgrade' on arrival for 50 Euros 'for a room of the same calibre' but a better view. Seeing that we checked in at night, and that they were unlikely to fill this 'better' room with another guest, it seemed particularly unfriendly and unwelcoming. I found this kind of service embarrassing - clearly, they were trying to put pressure on us as a couple. I think a younger couple might have felt the need to take the upgrade.

I emailed the hotel to ask about this. They acknowledged receipt of my email, but have not had the interest to reply.

Also, why have two separate mattresses on a kingsized bed? A bit disappointing.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
DeLeurope, Manager at De L'Europe Amsterdam, responded to this review, April 15, 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for having taken the time to write to us about your experience at De L'Europe. I am very sorry to read that your arrival experience left you dissappointed. Please note that it is by no means our intention to pressurise anyone into accepting a higher room category. Depending on our ocupancy levels it is sometimes decided to offer our arriving guests a higher room category at a reduced rate due to last minute availability. Please accept my sincere apologies if this proposal came unwanted and for the fact that the Front Desk was not in a position to offer the upgrade free of charge. Unfortunately I was unable to trace any correspondance asking for a reaction rom the management. If you decide to visit Amsterdam again at some point in the future I would appreciate it if you could contact me directly in order for me to personally overlook your stay.

Kind regards,

Jeroen Bronsveld
Holland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2014

I recently stayed here for the second time. After being extremely happy with the hotel the first time i was afraid it could only be a disappointment this time. I was wrong. I even stayed a night lobger than planned. Mainly because I wanted to enjoy the brand new Spa and go to the Rijksmuseum again.
Now I could go on and on about the staff and hotel and rooms, but I have said how great it is in my previous review. I had yet again a perfectly nice room. This time I would like to mention I used the new Spa and absolutely loved it. Beautifull treatment-rooms and relaxing sauna, steambath and infra-red sauna. Each with their own showerroom. Nice friendly staff and very good treatments. Good Pedicure (also medical), lovely bodywraps and massage and an absolute perfect facial. My eyebrows have never ever looked so good (ask for Joyce) The Spa alone is worth going to Amsterdam for:)

Also had lunch in their awardwinning restaurant. wich was ABSOLUTELY fantastic. Lovely flavours and so amazingly presented.

Ofcourse no Hotel is 100% perfect. Surely little things may go wrong here also. But i find them not worth mentioning as they would totally be irrelevant within the whole experience of staying in this Hotel. I advice everybody to please go and try.

Room Tip: dont think they have ANY bad rooms. If you want the window to open for fresh air ask for a room in...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2014

My wife and me on a short trip to Amsterdam decided to stay at this wonderful hotel owned by the Heineken Family. We had a nice Junior Suite overlooking the Amstel river. A nice large bathroom with a heated marble floor and a large king bed made the stay extremely comfortable. The house keeping and room service staff were efficient. The restaurants at the hotel were great and the staff very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Buenos Aires, Argentina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2014

Excellent hotel over a canal right in the center of historical Amsterdam. I love that you have bikes available at the door and the service, bar is great. Expensive but it's worth it. Ideal for going with your significant other. This is not the best hotel for kids.

Room Tip: Overlooking the canal with balcony is best
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Sheffield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2014

We stayed at the De l Europe at the end of feb 2014 for 2 nights for our wedding anniversary. We upgraded from a standard to a deluxe (cost £100) and on arrival we were upgraded to a junior suite overlooking the Amstel. I had also pre ordered a box of chocolates with a personal note and I was rather disappointed when these were delivered after we had been shown into the room, somehow losing the effect !. We had a curved sitting room (which had very poor lighting at night and an excellent bose sound system which could only pipe music into the bathroom and despite changing the volume on my ipad and on the unit the sound levels remained the same !) a large queen size bed with tv (sound intermittent at times) and a superb marble bathroom (which would plunge you into pitch darkness after a while if you stayed in there too long. The room was also very cold and we had to call reception to ask them to take the room heating off reception control and back to room control. Despite the technical mishaps the room was lovely. On the first night we sampled the cocktail delights of freddys bar which was enjoyable although on a Wednesday night the atmosphere was rather subdued. On our last night we treated ourselves to the 7 course taster menu in the bord'eau and whilst the bill was sufficient to pay for another wedding anniversary weekend it was an incredibly enjoyable experience, from the service, to the recommended wine, to the delight of each course. We also sampled the spa which had all the relevant facilities although the pool was rather small and my wife was disappointed that all available treatments were fully booked but that was our fault for leaving it late. All in all en enjoyable stay but the technical issues in the room knocked our rating from a 5 to a 4.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2014

Spent a week, but could easily live here. Beautiful suites overlooking the canal, amazing bathroom and a wonderful huge bed. The staff are more than just professional, they actually care and truly love their hotel and their city, and it shows. Don't miss dinner at Bord'eau, it's a once in a lifetime experience.

Room Tip: The Jr. Suite blue room overlooking the canal is plush and roomy.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to De L'Europe Amsterdam? Share your experiences!