I visited this venerable Amsterdam hotel 4 or 5 years ago. It was then rated 5 Stars but was certainly not up to modern, international 5 Star standards. Then the hotel closed for major -- actually near-total -- renovations and updates. Wow. What a success that has been.
I am about to finish what has been a marvelous 5-day stay at the hotel. The renovation (and expansion) has brought the de l'Europe into our century without sacrificing any of its charm. Before, the lobby was sort of elegant, but was dark and even musty. Now the lobby has opened-up terrifically, offering a striking view of a canal and pampering guests with comfortable chairs, couches and good lighting. The restaurants and bars are as inviting as ever, but now with a clean, crisp modern feel and menu. The rooms are equally 5 Star -- spacious and luxurious, with all of the 21st Century expected electronic conveniences, including free wifi.
What has changed too is the staff attitude. I seem to remember a haughtiness and even disdain from the previous desk and reception staff. Today that remains only from the doorman, who (for reasons I can't imagine) is aloof and unfriendly. Everyone else oozes charm and helpfulness, without being over-friendly (this is, after all, a 5 Star hotel and staff should maintain some deference to the guest. LOL). The staff is helpful, ready to anticipate desires and so forth. There are moments, actually, when I feel that I'm at a Peninsula Hotel. That's how good things have become at the de l'Europe.
What has not changed is the location. It is superb. Within walking distance of just about everything a tourist seeks in Amsterdam and with 2 key tram stops within 2 minutes walk.
Over all, Hotel de l'Europe has reclaimed its 5 Star status and surely is Amsterdam's best luxury full-service hotel. Nothing comes close. It alone is almost reason to return to this charming city.
- Also Known As:
- De l`Europe Amsterdam Hotel Amsterdam
- De l`Europe Amsterdam Hotel
- Hotel De l Europe
- De l Europe Hotel
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Landmark Hotel with Victorian exterior, located opposite Flower Market in the City Centre, overlooking Amstel River & Munt Tower. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Splendia, Tingo, EasyToBook, Priceline, Otel and Venere so you can book your De L'Europe Amsterdam reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.