“Grand Old Lady” 4 of 5 stars
Review of De L'Europe Amsterdam

You added De L'Europe Amsterdam to your Saves list
De L'Europe Amsterdam
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Nieuwe Doelenstraat 2 - 14, 1012 CP Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Red Light District)   |
Hotel packages
Special Price
15% off room rate
Ranked #16 of 345 Hotels in Amsterdam
Stockbridge, Massachusetts
“Grand Old Lady”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

One of the leading hotels of Europe keeping up nicely with its tradition.
Located in the glorious center of towns surrounded by the canals was perfect to stay for a couple of days and discover Amsterdam highlights in all its facets as all museums, restaurants all in a walking.
The room was large and luxuriously decorated in good taste. The bed was very comfortable and surrounded with amenities like I pad tablet, i phone console all interconnected with the room music system !
My wife and I were disappointed by the hotel's terrace restaurant which was embarrassingly skimpy on the serving of pedestrian but expensive wines as well as the food was not to be remembered but by its overpricing. Still the location on the canal is fabulous and may be worth not going to the even higher priced restaurant inside on the premises.
Breakfast buffet or a la carte was great and the atmosphere, again overlloking the canals, was very pleasant.
Overall it is great dutch hospitability and friendliness that shall win you back here... possibly asking for a "view" (in the back),and know to leave my car at one of the town outskirts parking lots to avoid the steep about $60 a day at the hotel.

Room Tip: Room in back with a balcony overlooking the canal is the tip !
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (198)
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

Amsterdam was not a place on our itinerary, but we loved it and we loved L'Europe as well. we were upgraded (bonus) to a junior suite that was one floor up on the corner overlooking the canal. We had 2 balconies, a small off the bedroom and a long one that wrapped around the corner of the lounge. We felt totally spoilt and the facilities were incredible. I've never seen so many towels offered in a bathroom - everything, head rest for bath, nespresso coffee in the room and the staff were happy and extremely helpful. We hired bikes and rode around the city and the location is perfect. I would love to stay there again if the budget stretches.

Room Tip: a Room over the canal is really worth it -the canal comes alive at night, especially I guess in summ...
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012 via mobile

While booking my 'normal' room over the phone I explained the staff that the stay we had was to celebrate our fifth wedding anniversary. While checking in we got a fantastic surprise; we got a serious upgrade to the fantastic suite with a view over Amsterdam, a bubblebath and fantastic interior. What a great start of our stay. The staff is extremely friendly, professional and guest focused. After a nice breakfast with very friendly personnel we could use the 'hotel bikes' to cycle through Amsterdam. We have had two fantastic days in this great hotel. Compliments for the design, interior, the art and most important great staff. Customer service at the highest degree! The location is fantastic since it is in the center but very close to the Jordaan (what we prefer over the city center) and close to musea and concert venues. We will for sure come back.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Bradenton, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

My husband and I just returned from our European vacation and this hotel was by far the best place we stayed. We had a junior suit with a balcony. We arrived early Sunday morning and was very tired from our 8 hour flight. The bed was so comfortable and had the biggest pillows I have every seen. The bedroom was quiet and dark so no problem sleeping during the day. Room service was very accommodating bringing up anything we needed. When we got up we sat out on our balcony and had the best time watching everyone passing by on their boats. They were having a blast. Family's and friends had pot luck style dining, drinking and did not have a care in the world. So much fun. The room was amazing. The bathroom had the best tub I could have relaxed in it all day. The location was perfect walking distance from shopping and the square. Everyone was very helpful and so nice. I did not get to try out the spa, but it looked really nice. If you want a romantic place to get away to for the weekend to relax and have a lot of fun this is the perfect place for both.

Room Tip: Rooms with a balcony on the river.
LAX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

I recently stayed in a beautiful junior suite facing the canal and the room was beautiful, quiet and spacious. The hotel itself is in a wonderful and charming location but there were several service issues that I encountered during my stay and then again when a friend and I went to dinner on Sat. night at the Hoofdstad Brasserie. I had already had one meal there by myself sitting on their wonderful terrace but it was a less busy night and the service was fine and the meal delicious. I went back on Sat. night and the service was terrible and disorganized and our waiter's excuse was that there was a private party of 14 that was causing the delays. We had asked for a table by the window since it was supposed to rain and they would not let us continue to sit outside but then once seated, they made us move again saying that table was reserved already. So, we sat at a less than desirable table but no one did ever show up for that window table and then our main course arrived a full hour after our starter course. The restaurant seemed to be very short staffed and our waiter was frazzled and not very service oriented.
The front desk personnel were friendly and helpful but again, there seemed to be some disorganization as requests made prior to arrival were not on record.
I loved the hotel itself and can recommend it but don't expect 5star service in every area.

Room Tip: I only saw my room which was a junior suite facing the canal(no terrace) and it was very comfortable...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Brussels, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

I have been attending this hotel for a venue end of June. the setting and atmosphere in this hotel are unmatched. Food is delicious, the rooms are excellent; I would recommend this hotel to all travelers, looking for affordable luxury.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
melbourne, australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

Not sure how I should rate this hotel. Our first room was pleasant enough, nothing special, but we were woken up at 5am by the floor light sensors coming on. Feeling somewhat jet lagged, we tried to ignore it but it wasn't soon till they went off again. A couple of minutes later, the noises we could hear in our room made it obvious we had a 'visitor'. I bolted up out of bed whilst my husband looked around to investigate but couldn't find anything so we turned the light back off and tried to go back asleep. Within seconds the glasses on the table were clinkering and that was enough for me. We rang reception and they offered to send someone up but we told them not to bother, we were going to shower and pack our bags so they could find another room for us.
We were upgraded to a large suite that was very nice, but considering the circumstances it was probably the least they could do. The continental breakfast was nothing special and on check out we were questioned if we 'took some bacon' one morning, which we didn't, which wasn't the most pleasant of conversations to have, especially after the charades of our first night! The dinner on the terrace was quite nice. The location of the hotel was convenient to everything we wanted to see foot, although we did take a taxi to and from the station as it was too far to walk with luggage.
Overall, I think I would still recommend this hotel, just beware of the ' Siberian Hampsters'.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to De L'Europe Amsterdam? Share your experiences!