“Beautiful hotel needs to address a few issues” 3 of 5 stars
Review of De L'Europe Amsterdam

Save Saved
You added De L'Europe Amsterdam to your Saves list
De L'Europe Amsterdam
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Nieuwe Doelenstraat 2 - 14, 1012 CP Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Red Light District)   |
Hotel packages
Offers & Announcements
Free room upgrade
Ranked #13 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
New York City, New York
“Beautiful hotel needs to address a few issues”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012 via mobile

I arrived early after an exhausting flight from NY knowing the room may not be ready. My luggage was stored for me while i went to walk around. I returned around 2pm, and the room still was not ready which was disappointing. Finally, i was shown my room after a brief tour only to find it very small. It has a nice view of the canals from one small window. The staff did follow my request for a quiet room, away from elevators. This is probably the smallest room i have ever slept in and i find it hard to accept in such a high level hotel. The bathroom is very luxurius and large with heated floor but no double sinks. There is a Nespresso coffee machine which is great and the iPad is great too. The Concierge by the name of Eel, correct my spelling, is superb, warm, helpful and wonderful. He guided me on some wonderful walks, recommended places to eat, lent me books of Amsterdam etc. Other staff is great but not as helpful as that man. Now, problems..... On my first day in the hotel, i found 4 flies in my room. They were going crazy above my head. How could housekeeping allow this to happen? Called front desk and was told to wait or someone. After several min, i called back bc noone showed up. This is when the wondeful Concierge showed up and managed to get rid of 2 flies. He arranged for an insect zapper or me so i could kill the remainng flies. The room is clean but not as it should be. Wood floor areas are dusty and dust balls stuck to my suitcase. Tables are dusty also. Housekeeping is inconsistent. On my first day, i had no bath mat, dont dusturb sign, hand cream and body scrub. On second day, i got some of the bath amenities but not all and the room was cleaned very late at 2pm. On the 3rd day, i got all the amenities and finally the dont disturb sign. In this level hotel, housekeeping should be superb. In all, i think this hotel is overpiced so beware of the high prices especially for the tiny rooms.

• Stayed July 2012
DeLeurope, Front Office Manager at De L'Europe Amsterdam, responded to this review, July 26, 2012
Dear Agnes,

Thank you very much for having taken the time to give us detailed feedback on your recent visit to De L'Europe. Your compliments on the design of the hotel are also much appreciated!
I am very sorry to read that you found your room to be on the small side. All are rooms are unique in size and design and we will always do our utmost best to address an area of discontent when being made aware.
I am pleased to read that our Head Concierge, Eef has made such a positive contribution to your stay. Your comments about the room cleanliness have been passed on to our Executive Housekeeper who will investigate and address the matter. It is our policy to have all rooms double checked by Supervisors on a daily basis. Please accept our apologies for the inconsistancy experienced.
Agnes, I hope we will get the pleasure to welcome you back at some point in the future. Please contact me directly when this time comes in order for me to personally ensure that you will be well looked after.

Warm regards,

Jeroen

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (178)
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012 via mobile

Great friendly staff, yummy food, centrally located and walking distance from just about everything! We were upgraded to a deluxe suite and it had heated marble floors!!! Wow! Staff was very accommodating, and helpful. We would stay here again!

DUBAI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

Very nice hotel location in the middle of the city .. very friendly staff fast check in .. I booked through booking.com and front desk upgrade my rooms to suits .. very nice suits and very comfortable large enough .. coffee machine in the room and nice TV with IPad connected to the internet free of charge ..every room with different decoration and very nice decorated ... this hotel recommended by my wife ... very easy to reach the shops and restaurants .. nice Islamic restaurants around the hotel.. parking cost 57 euro

Room Tip: some rooms and suits with poor view .. then I you want a view you should ask the hotel before .. kee...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

Beautiful hotel, quirky as probably any large site in Amsterdam would have to be. Our rooms were large and beautiful, with gorgeous views over the Amstel River. Weather permitting, eating outside provides a nice canal-side experience. A few small flaws (some confusion at check-in, occasionally inattentive service in the restaurant, hot water issues in one of our rooms, hard-to-figure-out video system) did not meaningfully detract from otherwise responsive and polite service. Very good concierge. Easy walk to major sites.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

Staying in the Hotel de L'Europe was a highlight of my trip to Amsterdam. The hotel is in an excellent location, my room was beautiful, overlooked the Amstel River, had a large bathroom, included the use of a iPad and a I had lovely chocolates upon my arrival. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful, breakfast in the restaurant was a great way to start the day and having a cocktail in the lobby was a great way to end the evening.

I was very sorry to have to leave and I hope to return again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

This place has it all! In fact, for us, it was kind of laughable as they had so many new and innovative electronics and technology that we not only had a great stay, but we had a learning experience. Jerome who is at the front desk is charming and helpful. The greeter, Mohammed was just extra nice and helpful. Everyone was smiling and this helped make the experience a great one for us. The hotel is centrally located on one of the canals, but they also have an outside patio for drinks or food...and why go anywhere when you are at the best! Food was delicious and they had a varied menu. We loved their bar as well. We had a Junior Suite. I just can't think of anything negative to say about this place.

Room Tip: You probably do not have to get a Junior Suite inasmuch as the main bedroom is designed beautifully.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012 via mobile

Since years one of my favorite hotels in Amsterdam.
First of all the lOcation. Second service and offerings.
Very nice bar with cigar lounge. One of the best terasses in Amsterdam with moderate pricing.
Excellent service.

• Stayed July 2012

Been to De L'Europe Amsterdam? Share your experiences!