“Very pleased with this hotel; Rate it in the top 20% of 5-star level city hotels” 5 of 5 stars
Review of De L'Europe Amsterdam

You added De L'Europe Amsterdam to your Saves list
De L'Europe Amsterdam
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Nieuwe Doelenstraat 2 - 14, 1012 CP Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Red Light District (De Wallen))   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #16 of 355 Hotels in Amsterdam
new york city
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2012

I was upgraded via Amex Platinum from a river view junior suite to a deluxe suite river view. It was one of the smaller suites #138 but it was prime property with a balcony over the river facing an intersection that gives you a good flavor of the living city, and very nicely decorated if you are into the color red. The bathrooms are very good in this hotel. Climate control in the room was also very good. Service was good throughout and I liked all the food and beverage outlets, having tried them all. At the gourmet restaurant, i was confused about the charges on the menu and got a bill that was about 40 Euro more than I expected. The manager, the moment he found out that I was perturbed, reduced the bill and let me know that he wants my return business. This was one of those 50/50 situations but the manager didn't want me unhappy. I really liked that. I saw several other suites in the hotel and they were all different and interesting; the provocateur suite on the 3rd floor of the dutch masters wing was a real cool suite that I'd want if I returned. Interesting design, bright and a great view. Two cautions -- when I checked out of the hotel, the valet put me into a taxi that wound up overcharging me to the train station telling me that there is a flat rate of 15 Euro anywhere in center city. I called the hotel afterward to let them know about this and to inquire if it were true and was told that I had indeed been overcharged (and for them to know about this so the next guest doesn't get the same deal). So don't assume that just because they put you into a taxi that you will be charged the correct rate; check before the taxi leaves the property. Second, the hotel's in-house handbook on the in-room iPad advertises a spa as of Fall 2011 and it ain't finished yet. Massages are given in your hotel room and the jacuzzi is an extension of the swimming pool at swimming pool temperature. One fellow guest was very irate about this; they gave him cocktails for 2 at the bar. I noticed though that the situation is honestly described on the hotel's website so I can't really complain. The hotel's gym is adequate. Third, if you hire a car and driver thru the hotel concierge, expect to be billed 90 Euro per hour. The service is being marked up quite a bit. That matters if you've booked a decent number of hours. But otherwise, the hotel deserves a rating of Excellent and it rates in the top 20% of city hotels.

Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
DeLeurope, Front Office Manager at De L'Europe Amsterdam, responded to this review, June 15, 2012
Thank you very much for giving us such a glowing review!
Feedback is important to us in order to continuesly monitor and improve our services and facilities. I am therefore very glad that you have taken the time to discribe yor experience in such great detail.
We hope to see you back at De L'Europe again very soon.

Jeroen Bronsveld

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (234)
  • Turkish first
Park City, Utah
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2012

This is an excellent hotel that exceeded our expectations in every regard. Our blue room was well appointed and nicely laid out. The view was great and the overall feel of the room was positive. Room service was friendly, on time, and excellent. The staff were friendly and accommodating and the location cannot be beat. We recommend renting a bike from the hotel and enjoying Amsterdam which overall also exceeded our expectations. I cannot think of anything that we did not like about this hotel and feel that it is the place to be in Amsterdam. Green light go, this hotel is it.

Room Tip: The blue and red rooms feel better to me than the green rooms.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2012

We spent two nights at the L'Europe on a stopover from a Baltic cruise.
We found the service to be exceptional. All front desk and other staff involved with greeting guests were unfailingly polite and helpful.
Our room, while small, was adequate for a short stay, however if we were staying for a week we would prefer a larger room I would think.
However despite its size, the room had every conceivable luxury including an in-room expresso machine which was much appreciated.
We purchased a couple of wonderful cakes from the bar in the foyer, and with the coffee from our own machine, we had a delightful afternoon tea watching tv.
For a five star hotel we felt the breakfast range was a bit limited compared with other five star hotels we have stayed in, however this is a very small complaint.
The hotel has recently been redecorated and is an absolute 19th century delight with modern conveniences. Its position on the bank of one of the major canals was excellent and within walking distance of some amazing shopping.

Room Tip: It was quite warm, and the doona on the bed was far too hot for us.....we did request a top sheet an...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Paris, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2012

As a former hotel owner, I have a critical eye, especially for details. This place really works, and its "sings" not only due to its perfect location, beautiful design, quiet and incredibly comfortable rooms, but most important: its staff. Clearly they are hired based on good attitude and style, and then trained well, with special mention of their front desk manager, Mr Eef, who couldn't do enough to help us. Not only did I enjoy our stay, but we spontaneously extended it, just wanting another day of delicious comfort and calm. This place is a winner.

Room Tip: facing the canal, third floor up..
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
DeLeurope, Front Office Manager at De L'Europe Amsterdam, responded to this review, June 5, 2012
Dear James,

Thank you so much for this amazing review! This is truly the best compliment one can get and I will ensure that your kind words are shared amongst the team!

Jeroen
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

We spent two nights at this hotel before boarding a river cruise boat. The location is wonderful and the service outstanding. The employees they hire are obviously select and well trained. The hotel is owned by Heineken and their pride in the hotel is evident in the value they offer. The decorating in our room was a bit odd (bright reds), but the view of the canals from our balcony was wonderful. The food in the two restaurants in the hotel was fabulous, and there is a charming bar. Our only complaint was the inability of both us and staff to understand how the lighting system in the room worked. But that was a minor annoyance compared to our overall excellent experience.

Room Tip: It's worth the extra dollars (Euros) to get a room that has a balcony.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
DeLeurope, Front Office Manager at De L'Europe Amsterdam, responded to this review, June 6, 2012
Dear Guest,

I am thrilled to read that you have enjoyed your stay as much as you have! I will ensure your comments are shared with the entire team.
Please accept my apologies if you have experienced inconvenience with our lighting system.
Some of our lights operate on a dimmer system which do require some instructions. Please contact me directly when planning your next trip to Amsterdam. I be more than happy to show you all our different styles of rooms and ensure that the lighting system will also be explained properly.
We look forward to welcome you back!

Jeroen Bronsveld
jbronsveld@leurope.nl
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2012

I probably would have booked and enjoyed The Exchange on Damrak's top rooms had they been available, but they weren’t so I thought that De L’Europe should be checked out as one of the finest that Amsterdam has to offer.

It is indeed the nicest Five Star I have been to in Amsterdam, although still suffers from lack of space, commensurate with Amsterdam Central itself.

The service is impeccable, all of the staff are truly international best in class hotel professionals and deliver nothing short of five star service, although one serving lady behind the bar looked like I had just named her Sisyphus when I ordered some wine, a little grim.

Really nice evening hours in the plush lobby and bar areas with a truly classy pianist and truly classy clientele, I didn’t see much riff raff, if any.

One of the best parts of De L’Europe that people who know Amsterdam is its wonderful water level terrace right at the end of the central canal belt. It has to be one of the best terraces in the city. The problem is, even as a Hotel Guest, you can’t always get a table there, it isn’t big so it isn’t surprising, but it is an amazing terrace for when the sun shines, but don’t rely on getting a spot on it even if you are staying there.

Small but plush room, and perhaps that is one of the impressions that you are left with, that it is a beautiful hotel, pure class…how Five Star Hotels in Amsterdam should be (but are not), but the rooms are just so small….then again that could be said about every Hotel in Amsterdam aside from the Suites…

Great to have an Ipad already hooked up to the Wifi next to the bed, really easy and inexpensive way of giving guests the ultimate way of finding out anything about their location…you can order room service from it too…

High end TV and channels to match, Bose sounds, well-stocked mini bar…super comfy bed and a view of the roof of the lower levels. I am sure that some of the rooms must have amazing views however mine did not.

No Bath in this room…disappointing for Five Star...it has to be said…

Check in and Check out was easy, very…

Requested and was granted a late check out on the day I left, which is always a sign of a good Hotel, they can’t always do it if they are full, but if they have late guests arriving or can shuffle and do if you request it then they can go to a lot of trouble for you for free…so that was nice…

One of the finest locations in Amsterdam, much more the better end of town…although not far from the tourist strips…

Excellent Concierge as all Five Stars should have, have to wait for a Taxi though, having said that if you are staying here you want to be Central and probably walk, which you pretty much can to most places of interest…

A really nice experience but to be honest I am left thinking that for the price the room was just too small…

It is certainly worth considering that this is one of Amsterdam’s finest Hotels if you are planning a high end trip here, unless you go for suites then you won’t get much better than this as Standard Rooms. There is a massive difference between this Five Star and some others that are not very far away at all.

Then again, the price reflects it.

This is a stylish Hotel, not hip stylish, old school stylish, old school Amsterdam in a great location.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Laguna Niguel, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2012

My daughter & I just stayed in this fabulous hotel that is centrally located on the canal that is decorated really nice fit for the architecture, comfortable bed, your own espresso machine, ipad in your room, heated floors, rainfall shower and the most efficient and friendly staff. The head Concierge Mr Sparla was right on with his restaurant and sightseeing recommendations based on our preferences. Overall these made our stay more enjoyable and memorable. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Amsterdam.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family