“Wonderful, comfortable base...central to all attractions in Amsterdam” 4 of 5 stars
Review of De L'Europe Amsterdam

You added De L'Europe Amsterdam to your Saves list
De L'Europe Amsterdam
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Nieuwe Doelenstraat 2 - 14, 1012 CP Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Red Light District)   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #17 of 343 Hotels in Amsterdam
Windsor, United Kingdom
“Wonderful, comfortable base...central to all attractions in Amsterdam”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2012

Working and living now in Netherlands just one hour from Amsterdam in Den Bosch has really only seen us a "day trippers" to the city...as especially when we have guests of our own. We decided to stay a night and enjoy the city for a full 24 hours.
After reading many reviews we chose De l'europe. It is in the heart of the city, only 100m from the floating flower market. We arrived before official "check-in". Our car was valet parked (extra charge) as there is no car park. (the hotel is surrounded by canals!) and luggage was taken care of until our room was ready (promised around 3) after we checked in. This was OK for us as we were dressed ready to hit the beautiful streets and canal-ways of the city! The hotel is very chic with a sumtous deep red/pink colour in the light, bright large comfortable lounge with a spectacular sparkling bar close to the bay window overlooking the canal.
We returned at 6 to be disappointed to hear that our room was still not quite ready ...some trouble with the linen for the bed! We were shown around our room which was a deluxe room with a large marble bathroom (slighly complicated lighting system) with huge walk in shower! There was a Nescio coffee maker and bose sound system for our ipods. It was very spacious. I was dissappointed with the view- a courtyard roof...and not the canals. I believe you need to pay an extra 200€ for that! The bed was done when we returned from our dinner in the West canal region and a cognac in the hotel bar.
Breakfast was in a light airy room. The usual fare....nothing special there. The service at the hotel was very friendly and helpful. We did hear a common excuse that 'the hotel was fully booked the night before and that is why rooms are not ready..., etc. ' too any times at reception. Was this supposed to make me feel special that we had picked a popular hotel and lucky to be there? To be honest...that should not be my problem. AT the time we were understanding but on thinking on this further, being full is a good thing for the hotel and they should be set up to deal with this and not inconvenience or make people aware of this for THEIR visit to the hotel as this is now OUR stay there and service should be set up for us (at over 300€ a night) and not the fact other people had enjoyed themselves there the night before. Overall I would recommend the hotel and go back. It is lovely and in a super location.

Room Tip: Check the view you expect o have ith the room you book...especially if you hope to have canal views.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (197)
ub
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2012

The classic and elegant hotel in the heart of Amsterdam. The hotel is renovated in 2011. The room was spacious and the bathroom was superb with separate shower and bathtub.
The internet is free of charge and in the suite they had an iPad. The only shortcoming for me was lack of light in the bathroom for make_up and in the room there is no mirror for doing make-up. The staff is extremely nice. The breakfast did not have vast veriety: cold cuts, cereals, suasage and eggs, but I liked the fresh orange and grapefruit juices, they had.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

I stayed here recently for one night only but I will return. This a classic hotel that has been renovated in the not-too-distant past. The room I was is was very large and comfortable with a large bed covered with crisp, clean linens. The bathroom was marble throughout but in-floor heating made it warm and comfortable.

Service was friendly and attentive. I only had breakfast there and I found the experience to be rather ordinary but my table bynthe window provided an exceptional view over the canal.

Overall, it was a fine experience and I would not hesitate to reccomend to anyone looking for a comfortable and clssic hotel.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Garden City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2012

Summary: relax in luxury, but with no stuffiness. The room is total comfort, the toiletries first class, the staff friendly and the brasserie superb. Take in a deep breath, exhale and enjoy.

Details:
1. this is a superb hotel
2. I arrived about noon and my room was not ready yet, so I was instantly upgraded to a junior suite, overlooking the courtyard, quiet, with a sitting area and the bedroom. A Samsung LCD TV in each area, the same brand I have at home.
3. the sitting room has an iPad with free internet, which is great since I am a veteran Mac user. There's also a safe, coffee/tea maker, & minibar.
4. the bedroom has luxury linens, the biggest pillows I have ever seen and a comfy king bed.
5. the bathroom is all marble with adjustable heated floor and big thick big towels, nice bathrobe and premium shampoo, soap, etc.
6. the dining options are several: I had late night in-room dining one night and it was delicious. The Brasserie, which overlooks the canal, is superb with very friendly wait staff and super value 35 euro prix-fixe 3 course menu. I was dining alone and had ongoing banter with the wait staff throughout the meal - it made the experience pleasant. The wine by the glass list is extensive and well-chosen, ranging from 5 to 11 euros. The bar is called Freddy's and has light food. Lastly, there is a gourmet restaurant, Bord-Eau.
7. when I was ready to print my airline boarding pass, I asked where the business center was [it was downstairs]. But the staff member I asked, named Titta [from Finland], said she would personally assist me with the printing and we proceeded to her desk and had a pleasant chat while doing the printing. That's the level of service here.

Summary: Is it expensive? yeah, but not outrageous. Is it total luxury? Yep. Is it worth it? I think it's a good value. I cannot wait to return.

Room Tip: a courtyard room provides total tranquility
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Philadelphia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2012

We stayed here for our first trip to Amsterdam. As others have noted, it's a gorgeous property but what really made the trip memorable was the staff, especially the doorman Rene. The whole staff makes you feel you are, if not the only, then certainly the most important, guests.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2012

We just returned from a 4 day trip from Amsterdam and an excellent stay at the Hotel De L'Europe. We stayed in a one bedroom suite in the newly refurbished Dutch Master's Wing with a view of the Amstel. The suite's many amenities were impressive. Bose sound system (with IPOD hook up), a room IPAD, free Wi Fi (so refreshing not to pay for Wi Fi!), luxurious linens and an elegant bathroom. We very much enjoyed Hoofdstad Brasserie and Freddie's Bar. Most impressive was the staff. Many of the staff have been with the property for years and their commitment to excellence is evident. Each staff member went out of their way to make our stay more comfortable and to help with plans for each day, including hotel management who can often be found in the lobby ready with helpful suggestions and guidance. One of our best trips to Europe at one of the best hotels in Europe. We are already planning our next trip to the Hotel De L'Europe!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the Amstel.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Oslo, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2012

Stayed 3 nights in the Premium Deluxe Room with my family. Excellent room standard with iPad available at the nigth table and free WiFi. Delicious royal style bathroom. Staffs friendliness, hospitality and quick response to requests made the stay even better. Very nice breakfast served in the room.
Location at Muntplein is perfect with 5 min walk to Rembrandtplein.11 tram and bus lines halts just outside and connects you with all parts of the city.
Only drawback was the credit card bill I received back home, but it was worth it.

Room Tip: Ask for channel view.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family

Been to De L'Europe Amsterdam? Share your experiences!