“Great location, beautiful rooms, but it's the staff that puts it over the top!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of De L'Europe Amsterdam

You added De L'Europe Amsterdam to your Saves list
De L'Europe Amsterdam
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Nieuwe Doelenstraat 2 - 14, 1012 CP Amsterdam, The Netherlands   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #15 of 346 Hotels in Amsterdam
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2011

I was a little worried about booking Hotel De L'Europe for our recent trip to Amsterdam based upon the reviews on Trip Advisor, but there was no need. The hotel was fabulous!

We booked a Junior Suite with a river view and found it to be perfect for our needs. We travel a lot on business and prefer a living room separate from the bedroom. That is exactly what our junior suite provided without the full suite price. The ceilings in our suite were high, and combined with the river view really added so much to the room. The bed was amazingly comfortable. The bathroom was beautiful - done completely in blue mosaic tiles - not marble like everyone seems to be doing these days. Well lit, excellent water pressure and the tub was a dream!

Other reviewers have commented on the internet connection, but we experienced no problems. The Bose system even played our US dvds which was terrific at the end of the day. The location of the hotel is wonderful - located in a charming neighborhood and central to so many of the things you will want to see, but quiet enough to relax.

But it was truly the staff that made our stay so wonderful. The check in was smooth and charming. The bell staff was helpful (showing us the controls for the room) and efficient. The concierge was great - made us reservations at a romantic restaurant for our special dinner and helped me ship items home to the US (customs paperwork is so annoying). The delightful reception staff gave me clear directions a couple of times that made finding odd things (like super glue) a snap.

We will definitely be staying at Hotel de L'Europe again.

Room Tip: Get a river view. Watching the people and boats go by really makes the trip special.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
DeLeurope, Front Office Manager at De L'Europe Amsterdam, responded to this review, September 29, 2011
Dear Guest,

We are very happy to read that you have enjoyed your stay in our Dutch Masters Wing and are even more excited to read your positive remarks about the team. I will ensure your comments will be shared with all the staff which will undoubtedly put an even bigger smile on their faces!
We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Jeroen Bronsveld

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (211)
BEVERLY HILLS
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2011

We loved staying here, everything from the rooms to staff to service was great. We specially enjoyed the breakfast and the room in which it was served every morning. The hotel is located in the center of action where all the shops and restaurants are but the rooms are very quiet.

• Stayed May 2011
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2011

The hotel is physically beautiful and well designed. The bed in my room was enormous, and the bathroom is luxurious.

My room had a little balcony, just big enough for one person to sit on a chair and relax and enjoy the view of the canal, which was fabulous.

The staff were very polite and helpful. The pillows were large and comfortable. Bath robes were luxuriously heavy. The bathroom was wonderfully appointed with numerous towels of many sizes, which I liked. One thing they definitely got right here is the towel supply in the bathroom- I didnt count exactly, but there were on the order of 15 big towels in the bathroom. Perfect! I like to take several baths during the day when relaxing on vacation, especially after I've been out walking in the hot summer sun.

The housekeeping was pristine. They spent 30 minutes to an hour each day cleaning up the room, vacuuming the floors, putting everything into pristine condition. Very pleasant and refreshing.

Glitches - one of these for me was the internet. If you don't care about the quality of the internet access and only need to occasionally check some emails, skip the next few paragraphs. If you need good internet service for work-related or personal reasons, this is an important thing to know about this hotel.

Wired internet access is not available, though the telephones in the room were IP telephones, with "Ethernet" ports marked on the side. I plugged a cable in to this port but could not get a connecton; when I asked about it, I was told these ports were inactive and only wireless is available. This means that the hotel has a working intranet, which is how the phones work, and they *could* turn on the Ethernet ports on the telephones with minimal expense if they wanted to. However, they have chosen not to. Wired internet would be useful for many guests, who have devices that require a wired connection, or for when the wireless signal is not fast enough.

The wireless internet seems to be capped at maximum speed of 1 megabit per second. Generally, I found my download speeds to be around 0.7 mbps, sometimes as slow as 0.3 or 0.4 mbps. When I complained about this to hotel management, I was told "Sorry, there's nothing we can do, if many guests are using the internet at the same time it will become slow."

This response is way behind the times. If a guest picked up the telephone and got no dial tone, would they say "Sorry, looks like many guests are using the phone at the same time, so we can't give you a phone line." Or if there were no hot water in the morning, "Sorry, many guests have used hot water this morning, the hotel no longer has any hot water." Or if the electricity went out, would they say many guests are using electricity at the same time, there is not enough electricity left for you? This is ridiculous and reflects a very old-thinking mentality about the interwebs. It CAN and IS possible to wire the hotel properly to GUARANTEE each and every room fast internet. I won't get into the details, but this is bread and butter IT work and would actually be quite inexpensive to do. Give me a monthly budget equal to one or two days

Checking online, the average home in Amsterdam can get 120 megabit/second internet connectivity by cable modem for 50 euro a month from UPC netherlands. Other service providers offer similar speeds and prices for fiber optic, cable, and DSL connections. Wikipedia states that the Netherlands is tied with Switzerland as the most connected country on the planet, and this hotel is near the Amsterdam city center. They have no excuse for not offering better internet service. Comparing this hotel to other 5-star hotels in Amsterdam, at the Hilton I never had download speeds slower than 6 megabits per second when I stayed there, which was satisfactory.

Also, the wireless signal was poor. Since wired internet was not available, it would be important to have good wireless signal. I found that I could not maintain a wireless connection reliably in the bathroom (using iPad in the bathtub) or on the balcony. Even in the room, there were "good" locations and "bad" locations. I found the best location and did my work there. That's pretty sad, especially when they don't even offer a wired connection.

A few other minor things.... The room service menu was sparse, even though the hotel restaurants have lots of items that weren't offered. When I asked for a menu, they suggested I look at the menu on the in-room iPad, which opened a web browser to the menu on the hotel website, which was slow. It was difficult to review the menu as only a certain # of things fit on the screen at any one time, and it was slow switching between categories since the internet connectivity was poor. When I asked for a physical menu, I received a stack of paper that had been printed from a printer. A regular printed menu would be more convenient.

Room service quality was also spotty. Several of the dishes were quite tasty and well prepared, but overall consistency and attention to detail were lacking on a few occasions. Once they brought me a cheese platter and a bowl of soup at dinner, without any bread. When I asked for bread, they brought three small and unappetizing rolls, which looked and felt like they had been sitting on a shelf for a few days, and which were insufficient for soup and a cheese tasting platter. They also delivered an ice cream dish along with a big meal which was melted by the time it was time to eat it. Couldn't they think of some measure to prevent this, put it on ice, deliver it later, put it in some form of insulation?

Anyway the hotel is overall quite beautiful, gorgeous rooms and generally excellent service, but with a few glitches. They need to bring room service up to snuff, with a larger variety of things to order and better attention to detail. And, the internet service is far behind the times, especially for a hotel of this caliber.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
HotelrepAmsterdam, Front Office Manager at De L'Europe Amsterdam, responded to this review, August 18, 2011
Dear Sir,

Thank you very much for having taken the time to give us such extensive feedback with regards to your recent visit to De L'Europe. Feedback like this is important to us continuously monitor and improve our services and facilities.
It is great to read that you have been able to enjoy one of our rooms with super king size beds and I am also pleased to read your feedback on our luxurious bathrooms and amenities. Your kind comments on our staff, especially Housekeeping, is also noted and will be shared with the entire team.

I am truly sorry to read that you have experienced such difficulties with the Internet. This is indeed a service which should be impeccable and flawless. In general, the feedback on our complimentary wireless service has always been positive therefore I am sad to read that you have experienced these glitches. Please note that all your comments have been forwarded to our Administrator and are currently being reviewed.

Please also accept my apologies for the inconveniences you have experienced whilst ordering Room Service. Your comments have been passed on to our director of food & Beverage who has since addressed the issues raised.

I do hope that we will have to pleasure to welcoming you back to De L'Europe soon and when that time comes, please do contact me personally in order for me to be able to personally overlook your stay and room allocation.

Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2011

We just returned from the most AMAZING stay at the beautiful De L’Europe. From the moment we entered the hotel, we were warmly welcomed by the General Manager (which is unusual at hotels these days), as well as the accommodating and oh so sweet Marie Julie Craeymeersch and Lizette Hassell. Marie Julie had been my initial contact at the hotel and she definitely went above and beyond to make sure we were taken care of and spoiled. Everyone we encountered at the hotel beginning with the doormen, restaurant and bar staff to housekeeping and the entire concierge staff was both helpful and friendly.

From the beautiful room overlooking the Amstel River to the comfy bed, radiant heated bathroom (which has every amenity desired, plus some…including full size samples of shampoo, conditioner and bath gel, a makeup mirror, an abundance of fluffy towels, bathrobes and slippers) we absolutely LOVED it and can’t recommend it enough, even to the most picky travelers. We are in the media, have traveled throughout the world and stayed at some of the most exclusive properties. De L’Europe is certainly among the best and is five star on all levels from its ideal location, luxury accommodations, delicious food and superior service.

Special Note: We want to thank all of those of you at De L’Europe for the extra special touches you provided us during our stay! We were greeted by a fresh floral display in our suite, along with champagne. When we returned to our room, there was a gift in celebration of our anniversary, as well as a fruit basket, each left for us with personal notes.

Thank you to all of you at the hotel for your warm and most special reception during our stay in Amsterdam. De L’Europe is a gem in a charming city. Frankly, we can’t wait to return and hope it will be soon!!!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for sharing this amazing feedback with us.
We are especially pleased to read that, as an experienced traveller, your stay at de newly renovated De L'Europe exceeded your expectations.
We have done our utmost best to ensure our guests are offered the highest level of comfort
and luxury and we are delighted to read that this is being noted.
We will ensure that the lovely comments you have made about our team are passed on and we look forward to welcoming you back to De L'Europe in the not too distant future!
ca
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2011

The hotel recently underwent a renovation adding new world to old world and destroying the character of the hotel in the process. They destroyed the look of the lobby with some big ugly copies of rembrant paintings. They took the beautiful wood bar out of the bar and put in some ugly Crome thing. I did however enjoy the cigar bar. Now onto service. The staff extremely nice and accommodating. They have a big problem with housekeeping who shows up every day about the time you get back. They also take all the soap every time and do not replace it so you might find yourself standing in the living room soaking wet on the phone with them

Lastly, we had a problem with the tv not working and asked to be moved. We spent an hour packing to have them first move us to a room that was uncleaned and then to another room. We tested the tv only to figure out that every tv in hotel was out not just our first room. How dumb was that. To have us pack and move for nothing only to have to go back to original room wasting hours for nothing.

In closing let me say the architect ruined the look of the hotel and it now seems the hotel is being managed by some owners idiot nephew.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Sir,

Please allow me to start by thanking you for the lovely comment about our staff. Hospitality is a passion of the entire team and it is great to hear when this is recognized.

We do appreciate that the design of the hotel is not to everyone liking however the collaboration between one of the country's most renowned architects, Mr Cees Dam, and the Rijks Museum is generally seen as a success.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused whilst moving rooms. At a certain moment the hotel experienced a short disruption with TV reception which had an effect on the entire hotel. We should of course have checked an alternative room prior to having moved you there.

We do hope that we get the opportunity to welcome you back to De L'Europe. Please feel free to contact me directly in order for me to personally overlook your stay and room allocation.

San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2011

We stayed at this hotel for 3 nights in July 2011. Absolutely loved it and the service was fantastic. We had a suite type room with a river view.... The room was pricey, but made our trip... (they even provided us with an Ipad to use while in the room). Have our own, but thought this was a nice touch. Also great location for getting around the city. Free fast wifi is nice as well... surprised how many hotels don't over this.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Thank you very much for these positive comments!

It is great to hear that the iPad, which also features our hotel directory and menus and is a standard feature in all our guest rooms, is appreciated as well. We are also happy to read that the room you stayed in 'made your trip' and we look forward to showing you some of our other individually designed rooms in the not too distant future!
Auckland, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2011

Location,service,staff,food and bars are all first calss. There is even a lovely well ventilated lounge off the bar for smokers! The only slight negative is that the lighting is rather dim. We were in the new rooms.Throughly enjoyable stay and a world class hotel.

• Stayed August 2011
We appreciate your feedback and are glad to hear that you have had such a pleasant experience at de L'Europe!
Our lighting systems work with dimmers and can be adjusted accordingly. I do apologise if this had not been explained to you properly however I have made a note in your profile to ensure ample lighting is available when you choose to stay with us next.
We look forward to welcoming you back to De L'Europe in the not too distant future!

Been to De L'Europe Amsterdam? Share your experiences!