“Was okay...” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Vondel

You added Hotel Vondel to your Saves list
Hotel Vondel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Vondelstraat 26 | City Centre - Rijksmuseum, 1054 GD Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Vondelpark)   |
Special Offer
Package Deal
Ranked #149 of 350 Hotels in Amsterdam
Old Saybrook, Connecticut
“Was okay...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

Hotel is in a great location, and room was generally ok -- though very small, and with a tiny bathroom. The rooms are pretty worn, and beds weren't comfortable for me. That said, the hotel is decent, and there is a nice bar / restaurant down stairs.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Management_VH, Manager at Hotel Vondel, responded to this review, August 11, 2014
Dear Jilian M,

Thank you for taking the time share your feedback on Tripadvisor, I’m happy to read that the location of the hotel was to your liking. Sorry that we were not able to completely meet your expectations throughout your stay with us.
You can always let us know during your stay if you experience any issues in your room so we can check if we can do something for you.

Thank you again for taking the time to write this review and despite the experience we hope that we can welcome you again in the near future.

Warm regards,
Suzanne Bubenik – Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
  • Finnish first
Sliema, Malta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

This lovely hotel is located just a one minute walk away from the main entrance to the beautiful Vondelpark and is also very close to the Rijksmusem.
Reception staff were always kind and helpful.
The room was quite cramped but well designed and a very comfortable bed.
Overall an excellent base to explore the city, if you prefer to stay out of the noisy centre.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Karlito81,

First of all I would like to thank you for your kind words on this website.
Your kind words are highly appreciated and I will make sure they will be shared with our team.

We hope to welcome you again soon in our hotel

Cairo, Egypt
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014

I had booked a standard room for a two day stay in Amsterdam. I arrived at 9 am after a long middle of the night flight. When I explained how tired I was, the desk clerk said he would upgrade me. An hour later when I was shown my room I was grateful I had been upgraded because I didn't want to imagine what the standard room was like. Naturally the room was quite small as is normal in most European cities. However I had two twin beds which, if I had been so tired, I would have explained that I needed at least a double bed. The one bed near the bathroom had a sloping mattress, so that night I slept in the other. And the next night I flipped back and forth between each.Also, the mattresses were most uncomfortable. They were quite thin. Lesson learned - speak up right away. The sink in the bathroom was extremely shallow - which would not be a problem, but I wash my hair in it each day. Obviously this would not work. So I showered each morning. Now, the shower. I am not a tall person - I am 5'3". So, to get into the tub, which was quite a step up, I had to stand on my tip toes. Not comfortable. What was good about the Vondel? Well, the restaurant was quite nice - far better than my room. The breakfasts are varied and ample. What I learned from this was if I return to the Vondel I will book either an executive room or a junior suite.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Iowa City, Iowa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

The Hotel Vondel is a beautiful property in a beautiful neighborhood. The room was comfortable and clean, although slightly worn, and we slept soundly on this quiet side street off of a bustling square on one end and the popular Vondel park on the other. Unfortunately the service drops our review to average. We asked for more tea and coffee bags that, supposedly, come standard in each room. The request for tea bags was ignored and the request for coffee was addressed only after a second request. More importantly, one of our requests for a wake-up call was ignored and we missed a business meeting in the early morning because of that. The final straw was a hand-written note from the management left in the room two days before departure asking us to come to the lobby to pay our bill to-date. Upon calling to ask why this was necessary the woman at the desk said that they were worried that we would leave without paying despite the fact that we had given them a deposit on our credit card (which they cashed) and the fact that we submitted the same card upon arrival. By the way, we did not go down to the lobby to pay at that point and we paid upon check-out as was our expectation with no problem. They must have been cheated in the past and this is sad but, frankly, their request was insulting.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Management_VH, Hotel Manager at Hotel Vondel, responded to this review, August 11, 2014
Dear Karla M,

Thank you very much for taking some time to share your thoughts on your recent stay in Hotel Vondel. Since it is with feedback like yours we can recognize points of improvement in our product and services I highly value your comments. I am glad to learn that in general you appreciated both the location of the hotel and the room; however, I am sorry to understand though that some experiences throughout your stay were not satisfactory.

For this I sincerely apologize, I truly hope that we will be able to welcome you back again to show you our true passion for hospitality. Please contact me directly for any questions or remarks.

Best Regards,

Skoghall, Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

Accualy the whole thing started with a problem with our booking. We were supposed to be at De Hallen but by misstake there was a double booking. We were a little worried coz we got to De Hallen almost at midnight but the service was OUTSTANDING! They arranged a cab to Hotel Vondel were we got an apartment room on the 4th floor and it was AMAZING! Airconditioned livingroom and bedroom. Full equiped kitchen, larged livingroom, nice bathroom. The hotel was at walkingdistance from everything. You have the park 2min walk away. SHopping was not more then 5min walk. It was close to the museums. And at the end of our stay they arrainge with a cab back to De Hallen so we could get our car that was parked there. So i must say again FIRST class service, FIRST CLASS hotell. We will come back for sure!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Management_VH, Manager at Hotel Vondel, responded to this review, July 30, 2014
Dear Zestis,

Thank you very much for your great review on this website! We are very happy to read that, although the double booking, everything turned out fine for you and that you enjoyed our fantastic loft suite, the location and our service!

We hope to welcome you back in the near future in one of our hotels

2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

Great location, not in centre of town, right next to vondlepark

Rooms we're not so clean and the toilet stank. Originally put in the basement room as this was an upgrade! It smelt musty and is next to generator!! Avoid!

• Stayed July 2014
Management_VH, Manager at Hotel Vondel, responded to this review, July 22, 2014
Dear Nick M,

Thank you very much for staying at Hotel Vondel and spending some of your valuable time to share your thoughts on this. I am glad to learn that the location of our hotel was to your liking, but sad to read that you did not enjoy your stay in general due to some housekeeping points of attention. Off course this is not how we envisage a stay a Hotel Vondel, I welcome the opportunity of feedback though and will definitely make sure this will be discussed with the responsible department heads.

Should travel bring you once more to Amsterdam, I would be honored to show you our true colors; please contact me directly so I can take care of your booking.

New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

Located just a couple blocks from Leidesplein (where you can get the bus to the airport as well as trams basically anywhere). You really can't beat the location! The staff was incredibly friendly & helpful. It's a bit cramped in the stairways & elevator... but the room was fine. It was comfortable & clean. Amsterdam is a very expensive city so it's not cheap... but I'm not sure you'll do much better. For convenience it's perfect as long as you don't want to be RIGHT in the middle of the action!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Management_VH, Manager at Hotel Vondel, responded to this review, July 22, 2014
Dear Aaron M,

Thank you very much for your kind words and thank you for choosing Hotel Vondel! I am proud to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us and experienced our staff as very helpful and friendly.
Should travels bring you to Amsterdam once more in the future, we look forward to welcome you back in our hotel.

Suzanne Bubenik – Hotel Manager

Been to Hotel Vondel? Share your experiences!