“good for what you pay” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Vondel

Save Saved
You added Hotel Vondel to your Saves list
Hotel Vondel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Vondelstraat 26 | City Centre - Rijksmuseum, 1054 GD Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Vondelpark)   |
Ranked #128 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
“good for what you pay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014

me and my partner stay in amsterdam twice a year and like to try different hotels/apartments. we usually pay quite a lot for 3 nights but this was only £208 for 3 nights which is great. Hotel itself was lovely with great decor and rooms seemed nice. Only downside is we could not check in until 3 and we arrived by 9:30am so had to walk around in the wet for many hours but that was our fault as we knew check in was 3pm. Also as the building is old our room slanted which at times made you feel slightly sick, mattress topper was like a soft plastic which at night you stuck to and pillows wernt the greatest and considering im like 5'5 my feet were hanging out the bed. Maybe we should have upgraded as we were just in a standard double. Overall the stay was good, breakfast ok and if you want a nice hotel in a great area and for a great price i would definatly recommend this

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2014

I have been in amsterdam more times that I can even count and this is one of my favorite hotels in the city. I can coming for a quick weekend trip from Friday and then leaving Sunday so I arrived WAY before check in to just store my bags. The member of staff welcomed us to the hotel around 1030 and said she would check on my room. She was very knowledgeable about my reservation and even knew my booking details just by my last name. I decided to book directly through the hotel after I cancelled my initial reservation made through another outlet. She knew that I had stayed there before and they welcomed me back (this was all being done while she was on the phone and walkie talkies making sure our room was the next to be made up). We were ready to start exploring the city so we just said no rush on the room and we will be back later and dropped our bags. She gave us a map of the city, and told us that she would be there to check-us in until mid-afternoon and hoped we had a great day if she does not see us before she leaves for the day... So fast forward to 1pm and we come back to the hotel. We check in and we get an upgraded room (even the smallest room here is fine) and a small thank you letter for booking through the hotel with two drink vouchers. Great! The room is great and the entire stay was comfortable and hassle free. This hotel has a very hip vibe and I honestly think it is priced way below considering the level of service. Had a beer at the bar (with the voucher) and the service was above par. I look forward to returning soon.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014 via mobile

What a wonderful place. From a friendly, easy check in, to the handwritten welcome note in my room, this hotel exceeded my every expectation. The food was fantastic, they have an excellent breakfast buffet, friendly helpful staff and overall just a wonderful intimate hotel that contributed hugely to a wonderful week long stay in Amsterdam.

• Stayed January 2014
Oxford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed at Hotel Vondel for 4 nights earlier this week. We had no problems with the booking and the staff were all very friendly. We arrived before 3pm (you can check in after 3) and were taken straight to our room and were given a map of the city which was very helpful. The room was a standard double, which is a lovely room with a very sophisticated and boutique design! The only complaint was that the room was a little small, and was a bit tricky to get around as the bed almost touched the wall at the other end of the room. On the plus side the shower was lovely!
We didn't pick a breakfast option as we wanted to try some of the other options close to the hotels (cafes and bars ect).
The area that the hotel is in is lovely - its located on a safe side street where there were a few other hotels and some nice restaurants to eat in. Only a 5 minute walk from the Leidseplein Square we couldn't have been in a better location.
We both decided that we would definitely stay again, the price was extremely reasonable for the service we received and for how comfortable we felt in the hotel. I would recommend this to families and couples, but maybe not big groups of friends as it is quite a walk from the bar/club/red light district area.

Room Tip: Try to get a room thats not in a basement as I've heard this can be a little noisy and stuffy.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Athlone
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2014

Stayed at this hotel in September 2013. It is a really nice hotel in a perfect location in Amsterdam. Located about 3 minutes walk or less from the nearest tram stop - it also on a quiet and safe side street which meant it was easy to sleep. Five minutes walk to would bring you to Leidseplein Square which has some lovely pubs and a great vibe. Ten minutes walk would bring you to Dam Square and the main shopping street, Kalverstraat. It is also a few minutes walk from the beautiful Vondel Park - we rented bikes and cycled around the park - perfect for those of us who didn't want to negotiate the numerous tram lines and cycle tracks of the city. Breakfast was a lovely relaxed affair and the staff couldn't have been more helpful. I will be recommending this hotel to friends visiting Amsterdam.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
holidayhappydays
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

Visited Amsterdam to ring in the New Year and were told by friends to stay in this area and with so many hotels to pick from we just didn't know where to start! Finally we settled on this hotel, we called to book and staff were very helpful over the phone with our booking. On arrival we found it to be in a great location only a 5 min walk from the tram line located in Leidseplein which was a great place to be.
We found that we managed to walk to all our destinations from here although trams are easily accessible as well if you don't want to walk. On arrival reception staff were very helpful in recommending places and providing maps etc, our only disappointment was that our room wasn't ready even though it was 3.30pm and we were told we could check in from 3pm. However we went into the hotel bar were the very nice barmen provided us with drinks and then on settling the bill 45 mins later he provided our drinks for free due to the delay with our room... all was forgiven!
Our room was located on 5th floor to the back of the building and was standard double, this was a good room, little small although didn't bother us as we only intended to sleep and dress there. Tea & Coffee provided (bonus) and room was clean and tidy, shower was lovely large and great shower.
We were very pleased and would happily book here again, holds happy memories now as we got engaged here as well on New Years Eve... Best place we have ever celebrated New Year!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Hamburg, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2014

This nice design Hotel in Amsterdam is like nearly all Hotels fitted with small rooms, but nevertheless very stylish and with cool interior. My room was with a huge comfortable bed, bottomhigh and huge flatscreen. Breakfast very good, situated just in Walking distance to downtown. Highly recommendable.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business

Been to Hotel Vondel? Share your experiences!