“Chic hotel with tv in the bath room” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Vondel

Save Saved
You added Hotel Vondel to your Saves list
Hotel Vondel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Vondelstraat 26 | City Centre - Rijksmuseum, 1054 GD Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Vondelpark)   |
Ranked #115 of 345 hotels in Amsterdam
Oslo
“Chic hotel with tv in the bath room”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

We passed a week-end in Amsterdam as we attended a reunion for former international students. The hotel has a clear design profile. The breakfast was rather expensive, and we did not find that it was worth the price. The room was voluminious and had big windows giving to a nice back yard.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

685 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

A flying visit to Amsterdam and a short stay in this hotel - I should start by saying make sure you have the right hotel a few in the area have similar names.

I walked the length of Overtom to get to the wrong hotel and had to cab it back to the correct hotel. This was late at night - I was tired and not happy. The staff at Hotel Vondel greeted me with smiles and friendly happy service. Not the normal dutch service especially at 11:30 pm. I found the same happy friendly service at checkout and again over breakfast - they must be doing something right!

I had one of the basement rooms which I think is fine for a quick stay - not sure I would want it if there for more than a couple of days. The room was ok - bed was nice and soft. I didn't hear noise but I was very tired. Thought the bathroom was nice - great toiletries and shower was strong.

I'm used to hotel irons being terrible so when I called the front desk for an iron I was made up with the state of the art iron. No limescale and dirt came out of it and was better than the one I had have at home making my shirt nice and crisp.

Breakfast was delicious very fresh and great selection. The decor of the restaurant was relaxing just what I needed before a day of meetings.

I would stay here again to see if a longer stay makes me feel the same.

Room Tip: Avoid the basement for longer stays.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
West Bloomfield, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

We checked in at 9 A.M. to be told that the room would be ready at 3 P.M. At 9 A.M. I reminded the desk personnel that I wanted a quiet room. When we returned at 4:45 the room was not ready. We had flown over night so were very tired and this was irritating. I reminded the staff at 4:45 P that I wanted a quiet room. I was told that the room would be quiet. It was a cool evening and we had the window open. All night long we could hear staff from a close by hotel playing football of some sort on and off in the street. Finally had to close the window at 3 A and put the air on to filter out the noise. Room was very nice. Bed comfortable. Breakfast was ample and very good. I gave the 3 because of the delay and noise.

Room Tip: Not sure where the quieter rooms are because others on our tour complained that it was noisy in the...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Beverley, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Two nights over a hot weekend. Not a cheap hotel which charges extra for its air-conditioning! Our room was at the front which was very noisy from 10pm-2am. We should have suspected something when the guy in front of us at check-in was actually just organising a room change. OK, it's a 'boutique' hotel but considering it's rates, it's not good value for money.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the rear.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

Having just returned from a 3-day stay at Hotel Vondel, I am quite shocked to read the recent poor reviews of the place. My trip was a last-minute thing organised by work so I hadn't checked out the reviews but I found the hotel to be perfectly clean, modern,and in a great location. I had a room on the 4th floor, room was huge (as was the bathroom), and the bed was comfortable. I also found the staff to be lovely and extremely helpful. Overall a great hotel and I would happily stay again for either work or pleasure

• Stayed July 2013
Hong Kong
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

A Hotel that appears so-so in interior decorating with poor staff ....poor service and poor everything!!!!!!!
Every day you have to ask for something that was not replaced - house keeping forget to replace the towel with a clean one, then the water glass, do not wash the tea mug, do not replace the face towel..... every day you have to ask for for something that is missing.
The mattress is so old and soft you can watch TV and smell your big toes while on your bed - my back is killing me. Why do they not replace the mattress ???
Check in and out is a nightmare as staff are young and inexperienced!!!!!!!
YOU SHOWER AND THE TOILET IS SPRAYED WITH WATER AS THE SHOWER DOORS IN 201 JUST DOES NOT SEAL THE SHOWER OFF.!
CANNOT OPEN THE WINDOWS AS YOU CAN JOIN A CONVERSATION WITH THIOSE WALKING OUTSIDE - NO sound proofing.
What a nightmare!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

Do not accept a room in the basement. Woke up every morning to tables being moved in the restaurant directly above us. You cannot leave the shades open as the windows look out on the sidewalk and anyone can look in. The comforter was a size too small and barely covered the bed. The giant brown splatter on the wall near the toilet paper in the bathroom was never cleaned. Asked to change rooms but none were available.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Vondel? Share your experiences!