“a quiet hotel in a great area” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Piet Hein

You added Hotel Piet Hein to your Saves list
Hotel Piet Hein
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Vossiusstraat 52 - 53, 1071 AK Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Museum Quarter (Museumkwartier))   |
Ranked #191 of 357 Hotels in Amsterdam
melbourne
“a quiet hotel in a great area”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2010

This hotel was selected for us through work & I would highly recommend it. The staff were very helpful, rooms clean & light, we even had a balcony. Excellent breakfast, fast free internet & a small cute bar at the front. It is opposite Vondel park, around the corner from the Van Gogh Museum & can be reached by trams 2 or 5 from the central station easily. You can walk to most places from here.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business

Helsinki, Finland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2010

The smell in the room was very bad. They might have a bug problem (or maybe they just solved it?) because the whole room smelled like bug insecticide, in other words, toxic used to kill bugs. This made my stay quite unpleasant.

Otherwise the room was clean, although a bit on the small side. The staff was very friendly.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank flyingman1981
ghnad
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2010

I have stayed at Peit Hein when visiting Amsterdam on many occasions. Location is great, meters away from the fashion district and high end restaurants. Breakfast is pleasant. Staff friendly. Value for money. Rooms are small, too small but this is Amsterdam. Cleanliness is a great concern in Amsterdam. On my last trip I noticed grime in between the tiles in the shower and the overall appearance of the bathroom was dirty, worried, I was reluctant to use it. The dirt observed was obvious and not cleaned the following days. I started feeling unsure about the bed sheets too. I am worried this hotel is masking its overall appearance with the boutique look. I will not stay here again. But, having said that some 5 start hotels in Amsterdam are getting worse reviews. Amsterdam is not a place for clean cut visitors. It is a very dirty place when you pay attention to detail.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 stars
NY, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2010

My partner and I booked an executive double room at the Piet Hein for November 2009. Their web-site pictures showed an elegant and spacious modern room done in greys, tans and black. Good lighting, nice linens and updated bathroom!! I actually called the hotel to secure the reservation, making sure an executive double was available. It was to be the last stop on our 3 week trip to Europe and we planned to spend 6 nights there. We wanted to end on a high note. This would be our most expensive hotel at just under 200 Euros a night.
Our taxi driver could not find the hotel but this is not an uncommon phenomenon. The hotel is situated on Vondelpark. The public entry is very stylish with a nice seating area, chic and busy small bar and a few computers near the front desk for the clients' use. The lobby has a young, business traveller feel. We were shown to a room on the top floor. All white. It was just large enough to hold the queen size bed and allow the room door to open. An attic room, the ceiling was slanted and a small beam ran down it so that in bed one would hit one's head if turning towards one's partner!! There was a small window looking out at the park. The bathroom was of almost equal size but had been modernized (but several things were in disrepair). I realized this was not the room I had seen on the website and thought an error in booking had occurred. Not so. This WAS the executive double. I urged the young man behind the desk to visit the website with me. I showed him the room that was pictured/offered and that I thought I had booked. "I want that room!", I said. It doesn't exist. The photo is a mock up that is intended to give a "feeling" of the style of the hotel!!!! I was furious. This was a clear case of misrepresentation. Much drama followed. We booked somewhere else and I threatened to slam the hotel on the internet. Finally 2 new behind-the-deskers worked with me to find a quiet, much less expensive "older" room.
We ended up enjoying our stay. The reduced rate helped a lot. Breakfasts, included, are very good with ample amounts and choices. The staff were helpful with giving directions and calling cabs. Not so true of their restaurant suggestions but I recognize that this is a highly subjective area. We loved the location.
All in all I would not advise against staying at the Piet Hein I would just warn .. buyer, beware!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lina
Englewood, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2010

Great location in the heart of the old city, walking distance to all the great museums and night life. Nice, hotel with breakfast and a small bar for a late night drink.

Stayed June 2008, traveled solo
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2010

Do make your booking directly with the hotel on its website instead of through any agent because the price quoted is much the same BUT only the former includes breakfast.

Price: Comparatively, the price is good among the hotels in Amsterdam. Euro 80@ single room.

Location: Convenient though not in the main area of Central Station (train). You may take number 2 or 5 trams to and fro (15 mins ride). One way fare Euro 2.6. I used to stroll in the city rather, 3 mins walk to Museum Van Gogh, 30 mins to Dam Square/Anne Frank House, 50 mins to Central Station. There is a bus no. 197 from airport to Museum Van Gogh. Feel safe in neighbourhood.

Hotel: Modern, neat, clean. There are 4 free computers at lobby and I enjoy browsing the youtube every morning after waking up at 4am.

Room: Clean, neat, space ok. Well equipped with hairdryer, safe. Bed is sooo comfortable. Temperature control is good (it is so cold out there and I find the room inside warm enough but not too warm as I experienced in other European countries).

Noise problem: I learnt from this web and a guest in breakfast room that there is noise problem. I was not disturbed luckily as I fell asleep at 8pm already when people had not returned I suppose. I did heard the footsteps from the ceiling and the noise of opening/closing door locks though. I specially requested a quiet room on higher floor upon booking. My room is facing the park.

Breakfast: Very good buffet. The yolk of boiled egg is semi-solid, fantastic! The staff is ok already as I had unintentionally "tested" them. I ever unintentionally spilt the whole cup of hot chocolate over the table and floor. I apologized and said thank you when the lady was cleaning. She still could say "you're welcome!" though sounded not so welcoming at the first instance upon learning what happened. By the way, commonly the cup in Holland bear a metal handle which can be easily dismantled from the cup body. I found it unsecured to use.

Service: Staff at reception ok, but they are more friendly and patient when there are fewer guests around. The lady checked me in is nice enough to give the room early (11am) and offer me free breakfast when I was waiting.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled solo
FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2010

My wife and I stayed at the PietHein for 2 nights and enjoyed the hote;. It is within walking distance to anything and next to a beautiful park (Vondelpark). The hotel is very moden with LCD tv, keyless entry (knd of) and an in room safe. The only annoyance was the shower curtain did not meet the floor and the whole bathroom floor got wet every shower. Friendly staff and free internet access in the lobby and with wifi adds a nice touch. I would defintely stay there again.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple