“Guilty of false advertising” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Piet Hein

You added Hotel Piet Hein to your Saves list
Hotel Piet Hein
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Vossiusstraat 52 - 53, 1071 AK Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Museumplein)   |
Ranked #157 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
NY, NY
“Guilty of false advertising”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2010

My partner and I booked an executive double room at the Piet Hein for November 2009. Their web-site pictures showed an elegant and spacious modern room done in greys, tans and black. Good lighting, nice linens and updated bathroom!! I actually called the hotel to secure the reservation, making sure an executive double was available. It was to be the last stop on our 3 week trip to Europe and we planned to spend 6 nights there. We wanted to end on a high note. This would be our most expensive hotel at just under 200 Euros a night.
Our taxi driver could not find the hotel but this is not an uncommon phenomenon. The hotel is situated on Vondelpark. The public entry is very stylish with a nice seating area, chic and busy small bar and a few computers near the front desk for the clients' use. The lobby has a young, business traveller feel. We were shown to a room on the top floor. All white. It was just large enough to hold the queen size bed and allow the room door to open. An attic room, the ceiling was slanted and a small beam ran down it so that in bed one would hit one's head if turning towards one's partner!! There was a small window looking out at the park. The bathroom was of almost equal size but had been modernized (but several things were in disrepair). I realized this was not the room I had seen on the website and thought an error in booking had occurred. Not so. This WAS the executive double. I urged the young man behind the desk to visit the website with me. I showed him the room that was pictured/offered and that I thought I had booked. "I want that room!", I said. It doesn't exist. The photo is a mock up that is intended to give a "feeling" of the style of the hotel!!!! I was furious. This was a clear case of misrepresentation. Much drama followed. We booked somewhere else and I threatened to slam the hotel on the internet. Finally 2 new behind-the-deskers worked with me to find a quiet, much less expensive "older" room.
We ended up enjoying our stay. The reduced rate helped a lot. Breakfasts, included, are very good with ample amounts and choices. The staff were helpful with giving directions and calling cabs. Not so true of their restaurant suggestions but I recognize that this is a highly subjective area. We loved the location.
All in all I would not advise against staying at the Piet Hein I would just warn .. buyer, beware!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Englewood, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2010

Great location in the heart of the old city, walking distance to all the great museums and night life. Nice, hotel with breakfast and a small bar for a late night drink.

Stayed June 2008, traveled solo
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2010

Do make your booking directly with the hotel on its website instead of through any agent because the price quoted is much the same BUT only the former includes breakfast.

Price: Comparatively, the price is good among the hotels in Amsterdam. Euro 80@ single room.

Location: Convenient though not in the main area of Central Station (train). You may take number 2 or 5 trams to and fro (15 mins ride). One way fare Euro 2.6. I used to stroll in the city rather, 3 mins walk to Museum Van Gogh, 30 mins to Dam Square/Anne Frank House, 50 mins to Central Station. There is a bus no. 197 from airport to Museum Van Gogh. Feel safe in neighbourhood.

Hotel: Modern, neat, clean. There are 4 free computers at lobby and I enjoy browsing the youtube every morning after waking up at 4am.

Room: Clean, neat, space ok. Well equipped with hairdryer, safe. Bed is sooo comfortable. Temperature control is good (it is so cold out there and I find the room inside warm enough but not too warm as I experienced in other European countries).

Noise problem: I learnt from this web and a guest in breakfast room that there is noise problem. I was not disturbed luckily as I fell asleep at 8pm already when people had not returned I suppose. I did heard the footsteps from the ceiling and the noise of opening/closing door locks though. I specially requested a quiet room on higher floor upon booking. My room is facing the park.

Breakfast: Very good buffet. The yolk of boiled egg is semi-solid, fantastic! The staff is ok already as I had unintentionally "tested" them. I ever unintentionally spilt the whole cup of hot chocolate over the table and floor. I apologized and said thank you when the lady was cleaning. She still could say "you're welcome!" though sounded not so welcoming at the first instance upon learning what happened. By the way, commonly the cup in Holland bear a metal handle which can be easily dismantled from the cup body. I found it unsecured to use.

Service: Staff at reception ok, but they are more friendly and patient when there are fewer guests around. The lady checked me in is nice enough to give the room early (11am) and offer me free breakfast when I was waiting.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled solo
FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2010

My wife and I stayed at the PietHein for 2 nights and enjoyed the hote;. It is within walking distance to anything and next to a beautiful park (Vondelpark). The hotel is very moden with LCD tv, keyless entry (knd of) and an in room safe. The only annoyance was the shower curtain did not meet the floor and the whole bathroom floor got wet every shower. Friendly staff and free internet access in the lobby and with wifi adds a nice touch. I would defintely stay there again.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Carrboro, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2009

This is not the worst hotel I've stayed in, but was close. The room was tiny and uncomfortable (and I do not need a big hotel room.) The staff was totally unconcerned about problems, including a nonworking wireless internet and nonworking facilities. I would absolutely not stay here again. I felt as if I were in a youth hostel.

Stayed July 2008
Los Angeles
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2009

Our room in this hotel was small, but that's to be expected in most hotels in Europe, specially in mid priced hotels, but the room was clean. The location was pretty central to most transportation and within walking distance to museums. All in all, the hotel is decent, but I rated this hotel poor because of my horrible experience with my checkout at the hotel. My friend and I checked out early that morning and the person that checked us out was trying to charge us for the breakfast that according to my email communication with the hotel, it was included with the room rate. I tried to explain this to him and he was very flip about it as if I was just trying to get out of paying the bill. I told him that I believed I may have the email in my room that I just checked out of and I wanted to get it, he replied by saying, "why would you leave it there?", so I proceeded to go to the room, what I didn't know was, until my friend told me that remained in the lobby, that the person at the front desk, locked the front door to the hotel, as if I may escape without paying, which was pretty much impossible since I had some pretty big suitcases right at the front desk. Unfortunately I couldn't find my email, so I reluctantly paid my bill and decided to just try and get the refund through management at a later time. I communicated with the hotel via email when I got back to the US, even forwarding the email proof, but to no avail. They did apologize for the checkout person's behavior, but it doesn't really help the situation.

I love to travel and do it often, my experiences are usually good, this has never happened to me and it hasn't happened to me since. I love recommending hotels but not this one, good service is important and part of that is trying to make things right when there was an obvious grievance that was done to a customer.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled with friends
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2009

I stayed at Hotel Piet Hein for one night in August 2009 with friends. Our room was very clean and a good size and there is an elevator in the hotel which is a bonus as the stairs in Amsterdam can be very steep and a nightmare to carry your luggage up. The only small downside is that the hotelrooms don't have a minibar or facilities to make coffee or tea. The location is great, very near the entrance to Vondelpark and close to Leidseplein with tram lines.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel Piet Hein? Share your experiences!