“Excellent hotel but... ” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Piet Hein

Save Saved
You added Hotel Piet Hein to your Saves list
Hotel Piet Hein
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Vossiusstraat 52 - 53, 1071 AK Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Museumplein)   |
Ranked #145 of 345 Hotels in Amsterdam
San Francisco, California
“Excellent hotel but... ”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

This hotel is deceptively great. A thing to note... The rooms may look like the website but the two different ones I received were not similar (very small) . The bed was super comfy though.
It's ideally located opposite a park and 40min walk from Leidseplein (excellent night armosphere).
SUPER TIP: when booking using their website, they will quote you lowest for a room that is available all the days... But it could be, for example, that cheaper room is available for 4/5 days. So I booked the lower price one for 4 days and the more expensive one for the one expensive night (instead of 5 x expensive!); also look for the free breakfast coupon code on their home page to enter and get free breakfast.
** if you like the above tip, please vote for this as a helpful review **

Stayed September 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

I stayed for 4 nights at Hotel Piet Hein whilst attending a conference at the RAI. I don't generally give reviews, but I so enjoyed my stay that I feel obliged to say something about the hotel.

It's a great location: close to the Leidseplein and Museum Square, overlooking a tree-lined street near the tram stop. The hotel itself is chic in an understated way - not plush, but very comfortable, clean, functional and well maintained for the most part. At the moment it's also very affordable considering all the above factors, although I hear that the prices may be going up. That would be a shame.

The breakfast is excellent - fresh ground espresso, fresh juices, freshly made omelettes - even the croissants and danish pastries are baked on the premises.

Finally, and most importantly, the staff are FANTASTIC. All friendly, all helpful, intelligent and responsive. I felt welcome all the time, whether I was at front desk, in the restaurant or talking to the housekeeping staff. They are a lovely team of people.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW via mobile

I stayed here for a night before jumping on the bus bound for the rest of Europe for 3 months, I enjoyed my stay here so much and the city of Amsterdam that I returned for an additional week at the end of my trip! It's in a great location, right across from the popular vondelpark and I was lucky enough to have a room facing the park. It's in a quiet street but just a 2 min walk to the town centre. Staff were great and friendly and were great company to keep while enjoying a bevvy at the bar. They also returned to me 90 euro that fell out of my pocket while sitting at the bar they found while cleaning which I was unaware I had dropped at the time. Staff were extremely helpful with providing directions and tips of top things to see and do.

• Stayed October 2013
Taormina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW via mobile

On 11/8/2014 my wife and I booked into the Piet Hein in Amsterdam. Supposedly in a "deluxe room".

We where given room 351, which is the worst room I have ever stayed in all the years I have been travelling in Europe. I have heard of better rooms in backpacker motels.

The motel was recommended to us and as such we had great expectations of this motel. Then room we were given was 351 which as it turned out was a rooftop room in an annex to the main building. Something we were not aware of and as a result their web site photos are very misleading.

The room was tiny, the bathroom was a joke with a glass partially frosted door open at the top and bottom. I had to duck to get into the double bed. Half the lights did not work.

We reported the lighting problem to reception and they said they would address it.

That day we returned from an outing only to find an unsupervised tradesman fixing the lighting. The door was open and all our possessions on full display. The tradesman left with white plaster all over the floor, bed and our luggage. And even then the light above the sink did not work and one of the down lights.

The staff on reception where very good but powerless to assist. "It was the owners issue".

I would strongly recommend against this motel, unless you can inspect the room first (insist on the main building) and even then I am not convinced your possessions will not be open to all and sundry.

Not good value for money - look else were.

Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Preston, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

This hotel is in a great location and is very handy for most attractions. We bought a 48 hour tram ticket on arrival in Amsterdam but only ended up using the tram twice as we could walk to most places we wanted to go to. There are plenty of bars and restaurants close by to suit all budgets. The city sightseeing bus stops at the end of the road which is hop on and off so can also be used for getting around. Our room was small but nicely furnished, comfortable and very clean and perfectly adequate for a long weekend break. We had a room a the back overlooking the garden and terrace which was very peaceful. All the staff we encountered were friendly and helpful and the general atmosphere of the reception and bar area was lovely and welcoming. The only downside for us was that there were no tea and coffee making facilities in the rooms which I missed especially first thing in the morning. Amsterdam has so much to offer and we only saw a small fraction of it on a weekend break so we will be retuning soon and will definitely book into this hotel again and will bring a travel kettle!

Room Tip: Rooms at the back overlooking the garden are very peaceful
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
Beirut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Hotel Piet Hein, is a very nice small hotel. I stayed for 5 nights, it was very comfortable, clean and quiet. Facing the Vondelpark, near the museums, and easy transportation to all places.
Short walk to busy areas, just cross the bridge.
Barbara at the reception was very helpful when I arrived, and I was checked in early.
Chris, also at the reception is the jewel of this hotel, he helped me in booking all my tours, giving me directions, and never complained. Actually all, I mean All staff are nice and helpful.
The breakfast was good, and the garden is also nice.Free Wifi.
S

• Stayed September 2014, traveled solo
Sofia, Bulgaria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

The hotel is in a very good location. We stayed for two nights. The room was clean and warm. The atmosphere was friendly the staff also. We payed for breakfast and it was great. I definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Piet Hein? Share your experiences!