“Not Exactly Blyss but Comfortable Enough!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Blyss

Save Saved
You added Hotel Blyss to your Saves list
Hotel Blyss
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Vondelstraat 74-78, 1054 GN Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Vondelpark)   |
Ranked #310 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Not Exactly Blyss but Comfortable Enough!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2014

We stayed here on our first trip to Amsterdam a few years ago.

The hotel is located within a nice upmarket area and is very close to the famous Vondelpark. It's close to the museum district but quite far from Centraal Station. This didn't bother us. The sun was shining and the walk led us to fall in love with beautiful Amsterdam.

If you don't fancy the walk there is a tram stop close by. We missed the tram one night and took a taxi back to the hotel. It was reasonably priced and we had no problem getting in late at night.

I'll admit to being a little disappointed when I saw the room. The joinery was bad and I was annoyed that Blyss had been described as a boutique hotel. I got over this very quickly. I already knew that small rooms were the norm in Amsterdam and this room was a lot larger than I had expected. Our bed was comfortable and the room provided everything that we needed it to. There was some hustle and bustle outside our window in the morning but what do you expect staying within a city centre? Personally I found it interesting! The garden was stylish and a great place to relax. The hotel definitely needed some work but by the end of our stay we didn't care. Looking back, the staff were typical of many hotel workers in Amsterdam. They did their job and welcomed us in a normal fashion. They weren't rude and they certainly weren't the worst that we've come across.

I would consider staying here again if I needed to be in the area and the price was right.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
North Augusta, South Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

This hotel was HORRIBLE!!!!! It was hot and NASTY!!! There were no attendants on duty after a certain hour. The first night we stayed there the people beside us partied all night, slamming doors yelling in the hallway and being that there was no one at the front desk we had no one to fix the problem. .. this was definitely the bates motel.. I wouldn't send my worst enemy here.

Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

Please do not go to this hotel. I had stayed for 2 days on this property. To begin with the staff at the reception who checked me in was very rude. I still don't understand why they charge 5per tax when you pay via credit card. The room was so small I felt that the walls would fall on me. The alleys are dirty and one could get a much better hotel for similar or cheaper price in the same area.

• Stayed July 2014
Calgary, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

I needed to stay in a cheap hotel in Amsterdam but this place was a nightmare! I don't even bother to explain why!!!! and they charge you 5% if you wanna pay with credit card which makes the place super overpriced!!!!
The place smell like garbage all the time . And no elevators !!!!!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

Good grief! This has got to be one of the worst excuses for a hotel I have ever seen. While I cannot argue with its location being convenient, that does not outweigh rude staff, mice infestations, uncomfortable beds and filthy rooms. Because it was a business trip I was looking forward to getting on with some work in the room, however the internet was so slow I couldn't. In fact I was forced to tether my phone which was a lot lot faster than the so called wi-fi. I ordered pizza and had planned to eat it in my room whilst I worked, but was told this was not allowed as there was a mice infestation in the building and that the hotel would not be held responsible for any costs incurred. And this was delivered to me rather abruptly. I can see where the rodent problem is though, the rooms are disgusting! Truly filthy. Conclusion: I cannot recommend enough that you find somewhere else!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Cairo, Egypt
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

For me staying at this hotel was a nice experience. Safe and calm neighborhood, close to transportation, clean and bed was so comfy.
The ladies working in the reception were so helpful !! they did a great job in instructing me of how and where to go :)
Room was small but i was solo and just used it for showering and sleeping. As i am sensitive to hot weather; i would prefer if there is a fan in the room but it is my own nature as i think it was not so hot during my stay but it will be a problem for others in July and August.
Thanks for Donna, Sandra and Elena for their support during my stay, they were so professional and helpful. i am sure i will stay there again when visiting Amsterdam.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

Positives: Close to the museums, nice neighbourhood, after hours front door security lock

Negatives: Our room was VERY dirty, outdated, and smelled like a sewer pipe had burst; breakfast was skimp and not worth the cost; no in-room coffee or tea kettle; noisy construction every single morning

We will not be returning and cannot offer any sort of recommendation.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Blyss? Share your experiences!