“Avoid this hotel!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Blyss

Save Saved
You added Hotel Blyss to your Saves list
Hotel Blyss
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Vondelstraat 74-78, 1054 GN Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Vondelpark)   |
Ranked #298 of 343 hotels in Amsterdam
Kaunas
“Avoid this hotel!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2013

This hotel is terrible. Dirty, smelly, messy, ugly, anty hygienic. Room door closes hard, some light bulbs in the room are burned-out, wind blowing through the windows, etc.
Poor breakfast - dry bread, uncertain quality villainous ham and weak tea. Decay apples and no vegetables.
It must be closed for a renovation. I simply can't believe that such poor quality hotel may be in Amsterdam. Who gave him 3 star rating? It is worth a maximum of 1.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business

210 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
winchester, England, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

The only thing that rates this hotel is the location for the Museums.
I had what I can only describe as a garret room in the roof with a vellux
window that didn't shut. The room was extremely tired.
For the price, it was so shabby and in need
of total renovation. A one star not 3!
The breakfast was 10euros extra and one of the worst buffet choices
I have ever seen. A rip off. Better to head toward the nearest cafe.

The sad thing is this hotel is busy as the demand is so high for the location,
guests will book it as the web site is better than the real thing. I over heard a guest making a complaint to the
owner, it was water off a ducks back. Not interested at all, no surprise there!
I found the staff polite and friendly but would I not return to the Blyss even on a free ticket!
The Hotel Vlondel further along is a much better bet choice.

Room Tip: there is no choice room as far as I can see.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Stockholm, Sweden
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

Dry white bread, jam and butter. Bland coffee.

The standard of the rooms are quite poor. The front desk clerks are not attentive or helpfull. For once our room lacked à remote controller. The bath room wasn't properly cleaned. The isolation was terrible in terms of noice

Next time in Amsterdam I'll stay someplace Else.

Stayed November 2013
Brisbane, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

This was not bliss. The hotel and service was terrible. I booked 3 nights via Booking.com and regret I did. Euro195 total.

Room 24 was a joke:
A narrow small sized room converted from what looked like was previously the entrance hallway of the building. I've stayed in hotel rooms in Japan known for their small size. Room 24 was smaller than typical Japanese hotel rooms.
The bathroom is a fully tiled small space comprising of a shower, shower curtain, hand basin and toilet. The whole floor space of the bathroom got wet turning into a "swimming pool". To use the toilet I had to wait until the water on the floor drained away and then towel dry the toilet and floor.

Inhospitable and incompetent staff:
The receptionist was not overly welcoming, nor informative. Upon check in I was asked to pay in full. I was short of cash for the 3 nights so offered to pay for 2 nights and pay the balance the following day after getting more cash. That was not good enough for her, I had to pay in full for the 3 nights upfront. She instructed me to go to the ATM around the block.

The receptionist also failed to inform me their routine of locking the reception doors each night thereby eliminating my main route of entry to my room. She didn't instruct me on the alternative route I needed to take which involved a few flights of stairs and many corridors. I had to figure that out late at night by myself with nobody around to ask for help.

Not clean and lack of security. I found a couple of long hairs on the bed upon checking into my room on the first night. Housekeeping were careless leaving my room door unlocked and open after cleaning my room.

Some positives:
Good WIFI. Nice backyard garden area.
The location is very good for Vondel Park, Van Gogh Museum, Stedelijk, Rijksmuseum and Leidseplein are all within minutes easy walk. Centraal train station, Anne Franks haus and Red L.D are a short tram ride away.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Terni, Italy
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

I’m italian, I stayed in this hotel last year, during the winter for my holidays in Amsterdam with my wife.
This Hotel is terrible!!It’s old, nasty and dirty, the rooms are small and the carpet is filthy!
The beds are combined, broken and the bathrooms is very small!!
The only positive thing is that it’s near the centre of the city and Vondelpark, but it’s expensive and the staff are rude.
The breakfast is very poor and low quality and you must do it in a room like a cellar
Avoid this Hotel!!

Room Tip: Avoid this Hotel!!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Freiburg im Breisgau, Germany
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

Very basic indeed. Our double room looked like a sleeping hall with four separate beds lined up in parallel along the wall. The remote control for the TV did not work - no battery power. The soap container in the bath room fell apart. The cleaning staff left dirty towels on the floor. Most receptionists (new ones every day) were uninterested or close to unfriendly. The bar could not serve what they proposed.

The only good thing was the location - close to Museumplein, Bagels & Beans (where we had breakfast) and the old town. That was the main reason for booking this hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

I travel to Amsterdam every September and have stayed in quite a few of the 'budget' hotels and generally they are quite good. This was apparently 3 star. The reception was a 3 star and so was the bar and garden that NEVER open. When we arrived the miserable receptionist just look at us, we informed her who we was and demanded that we pay for our stay on arrival. This WASN'T on the website. I generally like to pay when I leave. Anyway, we went up to the room which was a twin when we requested double, the room smelt of damp, the bathroom was not clean(smelt of sewers and damp). Stain on the carpet which looked 'dubious'. The next morning we asked for a different room as we DID ask for a double, the same receptionist refused. I asked to see the manager and she changed rooms for us. However the stay was tarnished by now and we willneverstay there again. False, Rude and downright horrible attitude-room was dated and probably last decorated in the early 90's-NO WAY a 3 star. Sorry but was rubbish!!!!

Room Tip: Dont go unless desperate Terrible Service Rude staff
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Blyss? Share your experiences!