“BED BUGS” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel De Gerstekorrel

You added Hotel De Gerstekorrel to your Saves list
Hotel De Gerstekorrel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Damstraat 22, 1012 JM Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Red Light District)   |
Ranked #175 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
Kahului, Hawaii
“BED BUGS”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

Hotel is in a Great location. Has no AC or elevator. So if that's something important to you, you might want to reconsider. Hotel Front desk staff very friendly. Rooms were small but ok. Bed Bugs found in room. (NOT HAPPY WITH THAT!) Other them the Bed bugs I guess hotel is Clean! Very steep stairs to go up. If you don't like stairs suggest lower floor.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Gerstekorrel, Front Office Manager at Hotel De Gerstekorrel, responded to this review, July 25, 2014
Dear Mauireview2014:
We appreciate your taking the time to write a review of our hotel. Hotels have recently faced an increase in bed bug claims that concern operators and hotel guests. When we are notified of a possible bed bug issue, we respond immediately with a professional expert to inspect the room. There are occasions when the claims are illegitimate, when they are legitimate every step is taken to remedy the problem and prevent future problems. Rest assured that we take this matter very seriously. We hope that you will stay with us the next time you are visiting Amsterdam as returning guests are given top priority. Best regards, the Staff at the Hotel de Gerstekorrel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
  • Turkish first
Bermuda
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

The room was the smallest I have ever seen, stairs are also the worst. Booked a room for 3 days, checked out the second day went to the DoulbeTree for the same price. Worst Hotel I have ever seen. If you want a small cramped room and some exercise getting to it this is the place for you.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Bermuda: Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. Our hotel is located in the heart of the historic section of Amsterdam which indicates the classic, Amsterdam architecture of narrow buildings characteristic of the World Heritage Site. Many travelers come to Amsterdam specifically for this old world novelty architecture and enjoy their time with us as part of the authentic Amsterdam experience. Best regards, the Staff at the Hotel de Gerstekorrel
Malta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

This hotel is right in the Center of Amsterdam with less than 5 mins walking distance from Dam square and less than 15mins from central station. Location is therefore perfect. The space restriction hits you at first, starting from the small reception area, the narrow, steep staircase and the room dimensions. The shower/toilet room was especially challenging to use. In fact there is no breakfast area but this is served to your room, at a time to your convenience. However I understood that most hotels in central Dam are structured this way and after a day or two you get used to it. Overall room was clean and serviced well. Breakfast light but very fresh. I would reconsider booking to this hotel again in the event of another visit to this beautiful city. Not sure if something can be done to remedy, but TV location on top of bed was somewhat uncomfortable, whilst carrying jam packed suitcases down those stairs was somewhat of a killer. Also, our room lacked air conditioning - it was not really needed and keeping window ajar was good enough when the evenings got a bit warm. Otherwise pleasant stay! PS. Would have given 3.5 rating if available - considering basic services provided I think this is fair.

Room Tip: If carrying heavy suitcases watch out for floor level. This could be a trade off with having street...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Pete61Malta:
Thank you for your review of our hotel. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed our central location in the heart of the center of Amsterdam. We are currently assesssing television placement in the rooms and thank you for your feedback. We hope that you will visit with us again soon! Best regards, the Staff at the Hotel de Gerstekorrel
Staten Island, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

I stayed here for 4 nights and I couldn't be happier with my experience. The location for the price I paid was absolutely amazing. There is no better place t stay in Amsterdam than dam square. There are countless stores bars coffee shops and restaurants all over the place. And the hotel is a 5 min walk from the red light district as well. The hotel is very clean and the beds are extremely comfortable. The staff are also very friendly and some of them are even American, like the lady at the front desk. My only two complaints are the slowest wifi I have ever used in my life, and climbing up 5 flights with a 50 pound suitcase at check in, because there is no elevator. The stairs are the steepest steps I have ever seen. But this I'm sure is due to the fact that the building is quite old and there is no elevator. But overall this hotel was awesome and I would definitely return

Room Tip: ask for a room on one of the lower floors so you don't have to climb the staircase of death
Dear YanB:
Thank you for your feedback. We are very happy to hear that the location of our hotel and the hospitality of our international staff made for an enjoyable stay for you. We hope that you will visit with us again soon! Please contact us when planning your next visit so that we can be certain you get the room of your choice, as returning guests are given top priority. Best regards, the Staff at the Hotel de Gerstekorrel
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

First off I would like to say the staff was very friendly. I stayed for 4 nights from the 19th of June and my friends for 3, and on the last day let me keep their bags in my room. The luggage room was unguarded on the first level away from the lobby and although they would hand out the key as needed, there was no telling who it could be handed to. Let's get right to the room.

Contrary to other reviews, I honestly didn't find the steps so steep (but get used to it, this is Amsterdam) I stayed in the non smoking half of the hotel. Remember this hotel has no lift (elevator). I was on the second floor facing an alley way. Noise levels were random but weren't enough to bother me in my sleep. The mattress was comfortable and the bed literally took up 3 quarters of the room. On the bed were these ridiculously over sized blue pillows which could not be used for resting, I just set those aside. I May I remind you these rooms are SMALL. But who cares? I had no plans to dance Salsa in my room. There was a small TV on the wall which I never turned on. 1 electrical outlet accessible (European non-recessed outlet) next to the table and an open cubby hole with a couple of hangars to place your clothing. Pretty basic room but accommodating. No safe available but there was one downstairs at a cost.

One of my only complaints was the bathroom. A tall guy like me couldn't wash his face in the sink, as it was way too shallow and the faucet way too tall. I was splashing water everywhere keeping my distance, trying to avoid my forehead hitting the faucet, and at the same time backing up against the toilet, which between the two would maybe be a distance of just over a foot. I could sit on the toilet in perfect posture and wash my hands comfortably just to give you an idea. Perfect for those out on a late night bender prone to vomiting, you're covered on both ends!

The water pressure was excellent and the water instantly steaming hot as I liked it, unfortunately the shower sits only an inch below the rest of the floor with no real barrier stopping the water from working its way past the curtain to the rest of the floor.

Below the hotel was a bike rental shop and a New York Style Pizzeria which the hotel gave you a 10 percent discount on. Must try at least once if you love pizza like I do. A minute from Dam Square and a block from the red light. Central station was only 10 minutes walking from Dam Square.

All in all for the price and location, even with it's spacial limitations I would stay here again.

Dear JDSGlobeTrotter:
Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review. We are happy that you found our international reception staff helpful and friendly and that you enjoyed the historic architecture for which Amsterdam is famous, although as you noted, it does come with space constraints that are typical for our location in the historic center. We hope that you will visit with us again and soon! Please let us know in advance of planning your trip so that we can be certain you are booked to the room of your choice! Best regards, the Staff at the Hotel de Gerstekorrel
Rotherham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

Stayed at this hotel for three nights from the 20th of june.
Upon arrival we were greeted by a very welcoming lady who allowed us to store our luggage in a cupboard until our rooms were ready, was quite weary we were just handed a key and when opened the cupboard other peoples luggage were also in there so felt quite uncomfortable leaving our suitcases when they could have been easily taken. However we was able to get an early check in a hour later which was great!! When checking in we were informed there was a tax payment to be made which i had no idea about when i had made the booking, it wasn't a problem i just wish i was made aware when booking, also a £50 deposit had to be made which i gave my card for the lady to use and on check out i was told would be released back into my account as the room was fine, yet a week later it has not re appeared, i have emailed the hotel but yet to receive a reply.
I have to say the location is perfect could not have picked a better hotel, everything you need right on the door step!
Rooms and bathrooms were clean, beds were very comfortable. The nets in the bedroom could do with replacing though as they had a few holes in. There is no lift and the stairs are quite steep but luckily for us we were on the first floor.
On our first nights stay we were followed to our hotel by a group on lads but as we went in our hotel the nightporter had stopped them from entering to which i thought brilliant, great security! However 5 minutes later we had a knock at the door and to my amazement it were the group following us, they told me they got stopped but the night porter said if they gave him 20 euros he would tell them our room! I had to force the door shut to get them out!!!! The next day i brought the situation up with the young girl on reception, she basically looked at me gone out and was making out i was making it up , she said i should bring it up the night porter myself as he was on again that night!!! I could not believe it and just decided if she could not be bothered to do anything then what would be the point??!!!
Everything else was fine, my advice if you stay at this hotel is just to be wary, i pay the deposit in cash do not give a card!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the first floor, over looking the main street!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Ol1_Bax: Thank you for giving us top marks! We are happy that you found the hotel location convenient and our beds comfortable. Our hotel is located in a very safe area of Amsterdam near the Royal Palace and the Dam Square. We are equipped with security cameras for our guest’s protection. Guests are requested to call reception immediately if they see suspicious behavior or people in the building as we take security issues very seriously. We hope that you will visit with us again soon! Best regards, the Staff at the Hotel de Gerstekorrel
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

Stayed here for two nights and was very happy with the experience. The staff were incredibly friendly and helpful, the rooms were clean and the location was amazing considering the price. Would definitely stay here again if we return to Amsterdam!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel De Gerstekorrel? Share your experiences!