“Perfect Location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel De Gerstekorrel

Save Saved
You added Hotel De Gerstekorrel to your Saves list
Hotel De Gerstekorrel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Damstraat 22, Amsterdam 1012 JM, The Netherlands (Red Light District)   |
Ranked #195 of 343 hotels in Amsterdam
Linlithgow, United Kingdom
“Perfect Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

Found this Hotel via Tripadvisor & certainly wasn't disappointed with my choice. It is situated fairly central & only 15 mins walk from the train station. It is located on a relatively busy street but the noise wasn't a problem. It was nice late in the evening to sit outside one of the pubs in the street just watching the world go by (under a heater!). The reception staff in the Hotel were very efficient & friendly. Our room (15) was a decent size & included a very small but functional shower & toilet room. The room was a little dated but clean & tidy which is what was important to me. From our Hotel we were able to walk to all the main attractions with plenty of restaurants & bars around about us too. If I ever go back to Amsterdam I would opt for this Hotel (unless I win the lottery!) as the location is excellent and it provides great value for money.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Gerstekorrel_De, Front Office Manager at Hotel De Gerstekorrel, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
Dear Jingsabove:
Thanks so much for taking the time to write such a nice review of our hotel. We were delighted to read that you enjoyed "watching the world go by" on our cozy little block in the center of Amsterdam. We hope that even if you do win the lottery you will still stop by to say hello! If not, we hope that you will consider us your home away from home and book with us again soon. Returning guests' preferences are given top priority. Be certain to check with us before booking to see if discounts are available. Best regards, the Staff at Hotel de Gerstekorrel

293 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
  • Turkish first
Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013 via mobile

If you're staying in Amsterdam & want the perfect location then I highly recommend this hotel. It is based in busy city centre right beside dam square & the red light district. Myself & boyfriend stayed & got a double room....it was very clean with bathroom & the size was big enough. The bed was very comfy, for us anyway. The hotel is 2 separate buildings. breakfast has to be ordered & eaten in yor room as there isn't a dining area but this suited us fine as there are plenty of places to eat on your door step. If you're a smoker you can request a smoking room. Our room was at the back no 52 so didn't hear a thing from the busy street but brought ear plugs just incase as we did expect noise with this location. The staff are very friendly & polite & you can purchase/borrow items like hair dryers, toiletries etc in case you forget to bring your own. I read in a few of the reviews about the stairs being very steep.....this is to be expected as most buildings in Amsterdam have steep small stairs so it is unfair that some people mark this hotel down because of that.
We will be definitely staying here again.

• Stayed July 2013
Gerstekorrel_De, Front Office Manager at Hotel De Gerstekorrel, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Dear Kerriann B:
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your visit with us. We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you appreciated our classic Amsterdam architecture and that your experience overall in Amsterdam was enjoyable. Let us know when you are planning to visit us again so that as a returning guest your room preferences can be given top priority! Hope to see you soon! Best regards from the Staff at Hotel de Gerstekorrel
Buffalo, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

Amsterdam is one of the most expensive European cities for lodging. From my own research, I had wanted to stay within the "Canal Ring," where it seemed as though most of the action/landmarks/museums were happening. This was the cheapest hotel that I could find that had a few favorable and not horrible reviews on TripAdvisor (although it was still $165/night).

The pros of this hotel:
-Very central location. Arriving and departing from the train station (Amsterdam Centraal), it was a 10-minute walk, which was very convenient.
-Five-minute walk to the Red Light District, shopping district and a variety of restaurants
-Very friendly and knowledgeable front desk staff who helped us navigate our way through the City
-Free WiFi

The cons of this hotel:
-As with many European hotels, the room fit two single beds, and there wasn't much room for maneuvering
-Tiny bathroom with a shower with a one inch ledge, so it frequently flooded the entire floor
-The room was very warm and musty
-I had a shirt stolen when the housekeepers cleaned my room. I am positive of this as I had just purchased the shirt and left it out, and when my room was cleaned, the shirt went missing. I reported this to the front desk, who assured me that the "housekeepers were trustworthy." I mentioned that maybe it had gotten mixed up with the towels or sheets, but my inquiry seemed to fall on deaf ears. This was very distressing to me, and changed my opinion of this hotel from an average/good experience, to a lesser one.

Overall, if I had to do it again (I am a 28-year-old female, who was traveling with my younger sister), I would have trusted my original instinct to stay outside of the Canal Ring, in the Museum Quarter, which is not only cheaper, but in my opinion, was near more attractions and closer to Leidseplein, which is the best area in Amsterdam for restaurants, nightlife and shopping.

Room Tip: There are no elevators--dragging your suitcase up three flights of stairs can be a challenge!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Gerstekorrel_De, Front Office Manager at Hotel De Gerstekorrel, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Dear Ms. Peachrayz:
Thank you for taking the time to write a detailed review of our hotel and thank you for your compliments regarding our knowledgeable staff, very central location and competitive pricing. Our room and bathroom sizes are typical for what one would find in such a central location in a 2 star hotel in the heart of the center of Amsterdam.
We, the staff at the hotel clearly remember your case of the missing t-shirt and considerate it an unfortunate incident indeed. We are proud of our housekeeping personnel, as they are carefully screened and trained professionals. We have not had issues with theft or with items disappearing from rooms. All items left by a guest or found in the hotel are recorded and tracked on our hotel software system and kept in lost & found for quite a long period of time. This gives our guests ample time to contact us and reclaim the item. The morning after you made the inquiry regarding your t-shirt to our reception we had the housekeepers do a thorough search of all outgoing laundry but unfortunately, the t-shirt did not turn up. Possibly we did not do a good enough job at communicating to you how concerned we were or how thoroughly we searched, hence your feeling that your loss “fell on deaf ears” and for that we do apologize.
Though we understand that you like the Leidseplein area, should you decide to stay in the Dam Square area again we would be happy to welcome you back to the hotel!
Best regards,
Tampere
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

I have stayed in several small hotels in Amsterdam city, and this was the best one so far. Number one point is the location. Number two is the no smoking rule and I never smelled any type of smoking during my 4 nights stay. And the third point is the super friendly and helpful service in the reception. And to all Finnish travellers : "Täällä puhutaan myös suomea, mahtava etu !! " We had no problem that there was no breakfast room. There are so may nice cafeterias all around and we enjoyed every morning a great breakfast in different cafeterias. That was a nice program for every I was recommended this hotel by a friend and I was so happy for that. I will definitely come back to this hotel again.

Room Tip: we had a room in the third floor and no noise from outside came to the room.
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

Superb location close to the Damrak this is a simple hotel for a budget price. My room was small but fine with good shower and comfy bed. Free WiFi which worked. On the 2nd Floor so a bit of a steep climb up the stairs (no lift). The hotel has no facilities other than the reception and the bedroom though they will do you breakfast on a tray. Staff were helpful and polite.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

Booked 3 nights at the Hotel de Gerstekorrel, has to be said that the location is excellent. Polite American lady at reception & pretty easy to find. As a lot of people have mentioned we were charged tax upon checking in and yes a room deposit as well.
Food places are every where (usually open till 4am) & all the hot spots are walking distance. We stated in a room which over looked the street (room 32) so it did get very noisy & hot (no air con) at times which did make sleeping awkward.
Downside of the trip we discovered that we were sharing a room with a mouse!! We called reception who offered to move us (which we did) but this point alone I would not recommend this hotel just by the fact that it’s probably a rat, the unhygienic thought of it and the thought of it running across the room at night or when we were out is enough to make me not return.

After complaining the next day upon checkout I did get a refund for the night, but again I would not stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Gerstekorrel_De, Manager at Hotel De Gerstekorrel, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Dear Madam,
Thank you for your review. I am happy to hear that you fined the location exellent and the staff friendly.
Regarding the mouse in the room we are obviously really sorry and of course it should have not happened. Since the hotel is located in the old city center it is very unfortunate that sometimes the mice start to move around in the center and sometimes they even try to come inside. To avoid all pests we have a company who comes here regularly to check the premises.

I also hope that you would have informed the receptionist during your stay in case of any problems in cleaning. We are doing our best to keep the rooms clean and the customer satisfaction is very important to us. That is why we do have lot's of regular customers who come to visit us when they come to Amsterdam.

I hope that the refund you received from us would also give you the reason and trust to come to visit us again.

With best regards, the management
Geneva, Switzerland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

Do not believe their website a second!! This place would have been OK for my 18 year old son bag-backing and stopping in Amsterdam for a night or two. Our Medical conference at the RAI center recommended this terrible place for us at 150 euros a night... unbelievable!! I would have may be paid $80 for such a place but no more. Four floors, no elevator and extremely stiff to not say dangerous stair cases. The day before the check-out, we've been told that the check-out time was 10:30am... that was the icing on the cake!!! I've been traveling everywhere in the world and have never see this... why not 8am!!
The good news is that I'm a good sleeper, otherwise do not forget your ear plugs... The location being more than animated and the building windows having no insolation of any sort...
No breakfast room, you must have your breakfast in your room, no choice... Not talking about the breakfast itself. No choice, a slice of Dutch cheese and a piece of bread visible heated-up in a microwave.
But the worst is probably the cleanness of the place. I took a few pictures that I attached to this review.
Finally the Internet is Free, hopefully free because extremely lousy!!!
AVOID THIS PLACE!!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dear Sir,

Thank you for your review.

I am really sorry that you did not like your stay by us. The customer satisfaction is very important to us and we try to do our best to satisfy all the needs of our clients.

We are located in the city center and like in all the hotels in the center it can be noicy. However we also have some rooms on the backside and perhaps we could have moved you there. Did you mention about the noice at the reception?
For the breakfast we have three choices and indeed we do serve it up to the room, which make lot of our clients very happy. You mentioned that the bread is heated up in the micro but we actually bake it here.
The size of the room is actually very normal size of a two star hotel in Amsterdam city center but I don't know actually if the rooms are much bigger in four - or five star hotels in Amsterdam.
All the two star hotels in Amsterdam are actually without an elevator.

Regarding the cleaning I hope that you would have mentioned about it during your stay. We clean the rooms daily and if there are any problems or requests, we of course coem to clean again.
Hotel wants to provide the customers extra pillows and blankets, but of course to provide more space in the room, we can move those extras.

Like I said the customer satisfaction is very important to us and we do our best to meet the wishes that our clients have. Even being a two star, we are very much liked among to our business clients as well.
I hope that we would be able to accommodate you again in our hotel and hopefully then your stay would be much more pleasant.

With best regards, the management

Been to Hotel De Gerstekorrel? Share your experiences!