“Adequate hotel for our needs” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel De Looier

You added Hotel De Looier to your Saves list
Hotel De Looier
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Derde Looiersdwarsstraat 75, 1016 VD Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Jordaan)   |
Ranked #247 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
los angeles
“Adequate hotel for our needs”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

Previous reviews I read on this hotel on Trip Advisor helped me choose this establishment. It met my expectations after reading all reviews. Good location and easy to get to by tram. It is on a quiet side street. Other reviews said room was small but I felt it was a good double/twin size compared to other European twin rooms I've stayed at. Free wi-fi worked fine for me. Bathroom was exceptionally clean which I place much emphasis on my review. I booked reservations directly on the hotel website which I got a better deal. The price for 2 nites was same as if I booked through Travelocity or Orbitz, but my price included continental breakfast. So sometimes it pays to look directly at the hotel website because booking via Travelocity and outside travel vendors you thnk you're getting a good deal price wise but dont qualify for extras.
The hotel does not have air conditioning so it was a little warm & humid. But I wasnt expecting Amsterdam to be so humid since I thought The Netherlands was kind of north.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Hebrew first
Lombardy
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

This hotel was easy to reach by bus from the airport and is in a quiet neighbourhood.
It is clean but very basic although there is a lift. Free wifi that did not work compensated by a computer in the lobby for the use of guests Arriving in the evening there was no chance to buy a drink except from a dispenser with a very poor choice and the welcome from the receptionist left a lot to be desired. The young man serving breakfast was most helpful and very friendly. Unfortunately the breakfast was of a very low standard and the breakfast room very basic..

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Malmo, Sweden
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

Good location in a quiet side street, in walking distance to city centre - and who doesn't like to stroll along the canals? Reasonably sized rooms and an elevator are things which you can't take for granted in a mid- level Amsterdam hotel. Average staff - some need to learn to smile and to be more focussed on customer service. We complained about a constantly flushing noisy toilet; asked for another room; instead the receptionist promised to get it fixed, but forgot.
In summary a hotel we will return to - maybe.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

Yea it's cheap considering hotels in Amsterdam but it was Average at best (2.5 out of 5). It was clean, which is the most important thing. Room was very quiet, good shower, free wifi. The safe wasn't working nor was the TV. The guy came to look at the safe, couldn't fix it and said don't worry, just close the door of the safe and the cabinet, it's ok. We were surprised and shocked by his response and lack of concern, we ended up taking all our valuables with us. He got the TV to turn on but after he left we realized after we couldn't turn it off with the remote so we had to climb onto a chair, then the desk to reach for the plug and then plug it back in again when we wanted it on. The room is small and furniture worn, the website pictures must have been taken awhile ago. We didn't eat there, found cheaper food down the street. Great location, walking distance to everything and if you're tired you can hire the bicyclists to drive you around.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

I stayed at Hotel De Looier in June for a birthday treat. While the hotel is in an excellent location in the heart of the Jordaan neighbourhood, the hotel is very basic, considering the prices they charge. I was also very surprised that they were charging money to use wireless. Seeing as you can get it free in every café and restaurant, I was unimpressed that a hotel that was already charging quite a lot of money for what they were offering, was happy to charge extra for what should be a free service.

However, the day after I returned home, a payment of €564.90 was taken from my account by the hotel. I had paid the hotel bill in full already so I was very surprised by this. I contacted the hotel immediately with a scan of my bank account to prove what had happened and they said the money would be refunded immediately. This was on 18th June. It is now 16th July and I still don’t have my money back!

I was in touch with them nearly every day for the first few weeks about this and they kept saying that the money was being refunded which was clearly not true. I have not had any replies from my last 3 emails. The only reason I know that a refund is due to happen this week is because Booking.com, who I made the booking through, told me.

I have had to open a dispute with my bank now. They refunded the money for me within 20 minutes. As and when the hotel decide to give me my money back, my bank will then take their money back.

Do not stay at this hotel if you wish to hold onto your money. I am amazed that they have done this and amazed that they have now stopped responding to me altogether. I have now complained to booking.com about this and requested they remove them from their website if they want to avoid any further complaints.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Huntington Beach, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

Booked at last minute. Located in South-west part of Central in a quiet street. Clean room - we had three beds though only required two. Nice shower and lots of clean towels, TV, safe and free wifi. Reception staff were helpful and friendly. Quick walk to shops and restaurants and maybe 10 minutes brisk walk to center of town though you can rent bicycles or get tram nearby. Really good value for money if looking for basic accommodations. They have breakfast at the hotel but we had an early check-out and didn't eat there.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Tortona, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

This hotel is cheap, considering amsterdam's prices, and well located. You can easily go everywhere in Amsterdam by public transports (less than a minute walk) or renting a bike (it's more fun). Rooms are small and furnitures are worn out but i easily passed 4 nights there sleeping fine. If i'll have to get back in amsterdam i think i'll book this hotel again. Breakfast is not cheap and altought i didn't book it, i've seen in the breakfast room it had to be poor in front of its price. Personel was kind

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel De Looier? Share your experiences!