“Walls are thin like wafers, totally not soundproof, Bathroom is very basic.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Albus

Save Saved
You added The Albus to your Saves list
The Albus
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Vijzelstraat 49, 1017 HE Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Rembrandtplein)   |
Offers & Announcements
Free room upgrade
Ranked #74 of 345 hotels in Amsterdam
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
London
“Walls are thin like wafers, totally not soundproof, Bathroom is very basic.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2011

My boyfriend and I has picked this hotel due to the good photos we saw, reviews and location. We had quite a few options for hotel but somehow ended up picking this one.

Came over to spend 2 nights for Valentine's day. As we're only here for short 3 days 2 nights and my boyfriend hasn't been to Amsterdam before, therefore, I've planned quite a busy schedule for us to see the most out of Amsterdam within those 3 days.

Arrived Amsterdam Centraal around 12, as we know, check-in is at 2pm, therefore, we walked around sightsee abit with our luggage to kill time and have lunch. Went into the hotel to check in at 210pm, expect the room will be ready. But disappointingly, receptionist staff said our room is not cleaned yet due to the previous customer has checked out late and they're busy to clean all other rooms.

Which wasn't a good start as I expect to quickly get ready in the room and go out and spend the rest of our day sightseeing. We ended up sitting in the lobby to reschedule or plan since we've lost another hour or so. Ended up our original plan was ruined because 2pm the room wasn't not ready. We didn't get to have our room til nearly 245pm!!

Perhaps for some, an hour or so, not make any difference, but when you've a tight schedule to see and do the most, it's a lot.

We've booked a smart city room and I've been trying to find out before we arrive if bath-tub is included or not as we do fancy a nice bath after a long day out. Even had an email respond saying bath-tub is available in some smart-city rooms.

So when we check in, we asked for one, but ended up, the staff said we'll have to pay 10EUROS extra per night for that kind of upgrade. We didn't take it as most times we're not gonna be in the room anyway, but just a pitty charging extra if you want bath-tub as well. Mind you, they couldn't give us a room on time for a start then still want to charge 10Euros extra if we want a room with a bathtub. Kind of disappointed service. Most other hotels if things like this happen, would be offering us the room with a bathtub since the room was free and available and rather than keeping the customer unhappy and waiting in the lobby for their designated room to be cleaned.

Bad start - then when we walk into our room, was shocked, how small it's compare to the photos we've seen.

At least the room is nicely decorated and comfy bed and pillows.
The room was so dark, as there's no ceiling lights, only 2 bedside lamp which you can move it up and down but 1 of them the cable was lose, only on in certain angle. The table lamp doesn't even work!!!! So we only had the 2 bedside lamp and the dimlights from the back of the TV wall. VERY DARK indeed. It's still daylight, and our room was at the back, even had all the curtains open, still dark!

Bathroom - I should say SHOWER ROOM instead.
VERY BASIC - like some people were saying, the bathroom/shower-room certainly doesn't match with the rest of the room as the room is modern contemporary style, but bathroom is very basic standard!

Worst thing about the bathroom/shower-room is, there's NO HOOKS to hank your towels or clothes. The only hook is behind the door, which there's already a bathrobe hanged and also the door isn't technically close to the shower is. So if you hang your towel there, you'll have to walk a few steps to get your towel when you're soakingly wet.

Of course no hooks to hang the hand towels. The only place you can hang your towels besides the door hook is the rail above the toilet, which is extremely stupid to put it there because all the towels were original placed over there, and 2 hand towels on top of each other.

When I pull 1 hand towel off, the other one also slide and guess what.. drop straight into the toilet!!!! Embarrassing to say, it NEVER HAPPENED to me in my entire life of travelling!

They really should invest some money on improving their facilities in the bathroom/shower-room.

The shower also is very annoying. It's nice to have a head shower, but, it's fixed and there's no other way of getting water from the shower besides from the top of your head.
Walk in shower without door or anything just half blocked by the wall, the water still splashed everywhere, makes it very wet and messy on the floor.

We already opened the window, and the steam from the shower, just stays in the shower-room for ages! when I say ages is at least good half an hour or even longer. Ended up I have to clear the mirror with towels! Perhaps installing fan in the bathrooms will be ideal too. Lights again in the bathroom is very yellow and dark as well.

So after a long day out and back to the hotel ready to sleep at 1030pm - thought we will just drop dead and sleep like a baby til morning. WRONG!

First the next door irresponsible Spanish tourists - been so so so loud and noisy for good hour or so, the noise sound so abnormal, then we went outside to check, their door was wide open, and we've noticed, it's not some party nose. We did not exactly see what happened but there's few people in the room, banging, screaming and smacking someone. Then we've noticed someone was drug overdose. Either was passing out or dying whatever that is. We had our TV on still can hear them so loud, got to a point we want to sleep, but they're just getting louder and louder. We called reception - the staff was polite, but obviously knows something going on, and said next door someone is very sick, waiting for ambulance.

We're dying for the ambulance to turn up and take that irresponsible disturbing neighbour away from us. The whole incident was a good 2 and a half hours long until it goes quiet.
Alleluia.. as we slowly fall asleep.. me and my boyfriend were taking turn waking up by some knocking sound, banging sound throughout the night.
Perhaps is Valentine's night, you expect people will be up for some romance.

I must say, Albus hotel walls are seriously thin like wafers. Never stayed in any hotel that you can hear noise all night long which isn't coming from outside the building.

Can hear people walking on corridors either outside our room/upstairs/downstairs. Knocking or Banging whatever on the wall and strangely the noise do pass from the back of your head on the wall. As if you're wearing some earphones surround sound keep hearing knocking. Strange thing is our room is the last room at the end of the corridor which there's no right hand side neighbour. But the sound sounds like it's from the right hand side of the room. Kind of creepy as we thought, it's the end of the building and not attached to another building, where is the knocking come from? some kind of ghosts? lol. That's how bad it's about the walls in this hotel.

My boyfriend woke up 3 times in the middle of the night thinking someone was knocking on our door. I woke up 6-7 times throughout the night because I just couldn't stand anymore.

TERRIBLE night! DID NOT SLEEP well and much at all, waking up feeling worse than not having any sleep. Doesnt even matter how comfy is the bed and pillow anymore. It's all these noise killed our night.

Then we thought shall we ask if we can change room for our 2nd night.
But then we've unpacked our stuff, will be annoying to pack and unpack again since it's just 1 more night and also we dont have all day, on tight schedule as a tourist.
If we stay more than 2 nights we would of asked to change to another room.

So we thought forget it, perhaps, it won't be as bad on the next night.
Which was better than 1st night, but still some knocking noise throughout the night.

Like some people were mentioning - breakfast not included and they gave us 25% off if we want to purchase breakfast but it's such a rip off, cafes, mcdonalds are just few steps away, not worth taking breakfast here.

Saying it's a 4* hotel, internet is not included which's disappointing and it's so crazily expensive is another ridiculous thing.

We've regretted choosing Albus Hotel as we could of pay the same money for same convenient location, same standard, include breakfast and free wifi. Sound is another thing which maybe other hotel will still have the same issues. But at least you get more out of your money after all.

Tourist like us in a tight schedule needs a good night sleep which this hotel didn't give us at all.

Having said about all these negative things.

I also want to say some good things about this hotel to end my review -
1. Nespresso coffee machine in the room - can't get any better in a hotel room!!
2. Location is fairly central which going to anywhere is just walking distance. Saving money and time for transport!
3. Lobby is modern, nicely decorated.
4. Room is very clean.

That's all the positive points I can think of.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple

681 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
  • Polish first
Utrecht, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2011

Very nice and beautiful hotel. Completely renovated and refurnished. Everything was very new, but most important everything was very clean. The rooms are spacious en and comfortable. And you have your own nespresso machine in your room (for free!)
The location is simply perfect, also for the night life of Amsterdam
We had diner in the also renovated restaurant Senses in the hotel. A thing you must try. We had the 5 courses chef's menu. Best meal ever in A'dam.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Albushotel, Owner at The Albus, responded to this review, March 3, 2011
Thank you for your nice comments and especially for the restaurant. The team worked hard in the past months to be ready for the new start and such a compliment is very good for the motivation
Athens
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2011

The hotel was very central, 2 min from the floating flower market and the closest tram stop, 5 min from Rembrand square. The staff was very polite and checking in and out was very quick.
The room was clean and spacious with modern and comfortable furniture. We loved the cow patterned stool! They had two complimentary water bottles for us the day we arrived and the room was also equipped with a nespresso machine.
The bath was large and clean, not as modern as the room but very nice and functional.
We had a room at the 5th floor with street view, which was a bit noisy. It did not bother us but light sleepers should rather ask for an inside room.
In general it was a very nice hotel, very good value for money and we would certainly return. If ti had free wifi it would have been just perfect!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2011

This hotel definitely exceeded my expectations. I read plenty of reviews about tiny, smelly, noisy rooms with unpleasant staff (in other Amsterdam hotels), so was a bit scared this hotel is going to be like that too. But everything was nearly perfect. The lobby had really nice ambiance achieved through combination of lighting, candles and music. The staff was very helpful (lots of smiles) on couple occasions, they did go out of their way to really help me to the extent that they didn't have to go.
The lift (it's an old building but refurbished inside) - was always there, in some hotels there is always a queue to get into the lift, esp. during checkout time.
The room was big, with large bathroom, huge LCD screen on a wall with lots of entertainment options for 15 euros per night (thumbs down for TV Internet though,very very slow plus resets itself all the time, definitely need improvement there, may be if you have a laptop its different story).
Nice big bed with comfy pillows.
My windows were facing some backyard, so it was very quiet, although I could hear people in the corridor smashing their doors.

Amazing thing - they had a Nespresso machine in the room with 4 free coffee pads (replaced daily), couldn't believe my eyes, thats very generous of them. In addition to that they have free espresso coffee in the lobby till 10am. As a side note, once I came down at 9:50 and the girl at the desk said the coffee is only till 10am, but I said but its not 10 yet, and she says yes it is, at that moment I look at her computer and it's 9:54, so I pointed it to her and she says go the bar they will make it for you. Weird, but I got my coffee.

But the cherry on top for me was their scrambled eggs for breakfast. I know that taste is personal thing, but I haven't had such delicious scrambled eggs in many years. Top thumbs to their chef. Having said that there were three French tourists and one of them returned a fried egg, don't know what was wrong with it.

The strange thing - there is no fridge, probably ok in winter, but in summer it's good to keep the drinks cools or whatever else needs refrigeration.

The only thing I didn't like about this hotel is "creative billing", in other words charges that I didn't expect. For example, I had "Pay 2 nights - stay 3" special, so with a daily rate 64 Euro how much do you think is a total charge? If you said 197.30 Euro, you were correct (which I doubt you did, because 64*2 is 128 and 64*3 is 192) . Plus additional 10 euros or so of city tax on top of that. Of course, they have explanation for everything if you read "the small print", but I prefer to know about the charges upfront, rather than being surprised (not in a good way too). This could be an Amsterdam thing - I don't know as I haven't stayed in other hotels there.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
Dubai
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2011

If in Amsterdam for leisure you can't go wrong with the location. Central and 10 minutes walking distance from anything!
Rooms are well appointed, clean and definitely good value for money.
My partner and I booked a room with double bed which was smaller (and cheaper) than the twin bedded room... no big deal as we only stayed 2 nights but for longer stays next time we will book a twin room.
Helpful, professional and smiling staff met in all areas.
Only tried the breakfast during our stay....good selection and quality of food!
We definitely recommend it and will book again for our next trips to Amsterdam.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Lancashire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2011

We stayed in the Hotel Albus for 3 nights Bed & Breakfast inbetween Xmas and New Year. The hotel is excellent and I would definately recommend. The staff were friendly and helpful and the hotel was very clean. The breakfast had everything you could want and the quality was good.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Albushotel, Owner at The Albus, responded to this review, January 28, 2011
Thank you for your nice comments, After a complaint in the past from an other guest we actioned and it's good to read that you were happy with your breakfast
Perth
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2011

Very cute rooms- quite small, but thats what you expect in Europe! Friends of ours upgraded their room, which was much bigger- so if you need some sitting space, then pay the extra.
Spotlessly clean, comfy beds. Loved having the nespresso machine in the room- just awesome. The flat screen TV was great, and they even personalised it to greet us when we came into the room.
We didn't have breakfast included, so can't comment on that, but we did order room service, which was quite good.
The location is just opposite the flower market, and only 2 mins walk from the tram, so really easy to get everywhere.
Overall, thought it was great- and I would definately stay here if I returned to Amsterdam.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Albushotel, Owner at The Albus, responded to this review, January 28, 2011
Theank you for your nice comments. Concerning the size of the rooms we have 5 different room type's. Check our website the next time you are booking The Albus for a bigger room.

Been to The Albus? Share your experiences!