“It's alright... not outstanding” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #57 of 345 Hotels in Amsterdam
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Hong Kong
“It's alright... not outstanding”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2010

The hotel is nice. But the building walls are too thin, that I can hear clearly the tv next room and people walking outside.

Management are yet to be improved, such as baggage storage service is one of the least secured practise among the hospitality industry. They simply led me to their baggage storage room, opened the door and allow me to put my bag onto the rack by myself. Without any receipt or ticket, I simply requested the front desk staff to enter the storage room when I was back, went inside and took my (or someone else if I felt like to!) bags and go. Staff had already walked away before I came out, and only if I were nice enough to help them close the storage room door.

Also a little bit disappointed on my request of having a 2pm check out which required a sucharge of 50 euro (60% of my room charge per night). I told the nice lady manager I have to be leaving by 1-ish, as I need to catch up my flight, but she kindly offer me to stay until 1pm without charge. I felt like making a bargain at the flea market! I didnt mind to have a strict NO, but the bargaining part sounds cheap to me. This lack of flexibility is also not too competitive among the hospitality industry, as most hotels in town can offer a 2pm check out on request. As said, if availability is not affordable, a strict no would not be a problem instead of a flea market bargaining!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
Albushotel, Manager at The Albus, responded to this review, October 11, 2010
Thank you for your review. I am disappointed with the outcome and action has been taken. The porter situation is in progress and hopefully we have appointed someone at the end of October 2010. In the mean time our reception staff will look after the luggage. Late check out is at a charge of € 50 till 17:00 hours. Hope to meet you the next time.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (203)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Appleton, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2010

I loved the location of the hotel, it was easy to walk to many of the tourist sites and great shopping. The city is beautiful and historic in this area. We had a room with a king and single bed and this seemed to be the most affordable option for the two of us at 200 euro. It included decent breakfast. The only complaint I have is that the room was on the street side so it was loud at night. We were so tired from walking that I slept just fine anyway (I am a light sleeper) but I would request a room not on the street. We arrived by train to Amsterdam and easily caught a tram right outside to the hotel. I would stay here again. Staff were all very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
Albushotel, General Manager at The Albus, responded to this review, October 11, 2010
Thank you for your nice comments and perhaps we can meet when staying in the Albus the next time.
Berwick upon Tweed, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2010

4th tram stop from Central Station, easy to find.
Hotel reception modern, friendly, helpful staff. Efficient check in. Even with 5 customers arriving on different days, I felt sure my complicated booking would be a mess, but they had no problems with it.
Only one elevator, so if it is busy you will have to wait.
Rooms are modern, comfortable and clean.
Great shower, very important...
Bar is not as expensive as you would expect.
Breakfast was good.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business

Been to The Albus? Share your experiences!