“In the Heart of Amsterdam” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #57 of 346 Hotels in Amsterdam
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Munich, Germany
“In the Heart of Amsterdam”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

100 m from the flower-market, Restaurants near by. The Rooms backside are not on the speedway. Good hotel, excellent position to old Amsterdam. It's my next Choice to visit Amsterdam. Service is good and very friendly.

Room Tip: Backside Rooms are away from the speedway.
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (217)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW via mobile

I will never hesitate to book her. Im american and was afraid i wouldnt like the hotel, but boy was i wrong! The staff is so friendly and polite and all speak very good english, i enjoyed the restaurant and the location is a few feet from the tram stop, so you can go anywhere in the city easily.

Stayed March 2015, traveled with family
Taco v, Eigenaar at The Albus, responded to this review, yesterday
Dear precious guest,

Thank you very much for your review. I'm so happy to read that we exceeded your expectations and that you were very happy with our staff, the restaurant and the location.

Thanks again and I hope we will see you again!

Community of Madrid, Spain
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

The total lack of common sense.

My fiancée and I had planned a quick getaway to Amsterdam (One night). We got to the Hotel at 21:30. We had thought that we would have just the time to check-in, get a quick shower and go out to enjoy Amsterdam by night.
Unfortunately we did not plan for the utter stupidity of the hotel policies.
Upon arriving, I noticed that I had forgotten my credit card. The hotel staff informed us that they had to take a cash deposit of 100 Euro to cover for any extras which is perfectly understandable.
With the room, it brought the total to 283 Euro. I had 200 Euro in bills of 50 Euro and a bill of 500 Euro. When I handed the 500 Euro bill, the person at the front desk informed me that they did not accept bills of 500 Euro which again might be understandable.
I asked if there was a solution. We were told that we could try to change the bill in an exchange office but that the only one who might be open at that hour was in Central Station (25 mn walk) and that it closes at 22:00 so we might get there too late.
So we asked if there was another solution. I offered to leave the 500 Euro as a deposit until the morning when the banks would be open. My offer was rejected.

I was told to try to change the bill at one of the small casinos nearby. I had to leave my fiancée at the lobby and run around the Casinos trying my luck! All my requests were rejected.

After two hours of negotiations, we were told that there was no solution and that we would not be able to check-in!

So we had money but since the hotel had decided to refuse a bill that is legal tender in Europe, we could not get our room!
At that point they told us that we had no choice than to try another hotel and see if they would accept a 500 Euro bill.

We were already in shock but we were resigned and our vening was ruined anyways so we got our stuff and started heading out. Before leaving I asked (as a joke) if they would charge my credit card anyways for the room. The hotel employee answered in a very serious way that they would!!!!

So to sum up, we got to the hotel, were charged a 100 Euro deposit, were denied the room we had booked because the hotel management refuses to accept 500 Euro bills, were forced to go look for another hotel at midnight and on top of that would have to pay for the room that we had been deprived of!!!! That is... INSANE...

At that point my patience ran out and I told the Hotel that I would not leave unless I get a paper waiving the charge. Otherwise, I would call the police to denounce that rip-off.

Finally the hotel employee told us that he would do us a favor (!!!!) and waive the deposit!

So after making us lose more almost three hours, after ruining our evening, the Hotel finally offered a solution...

What a shame...

• Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple

Taco v, Eigenaar at The Albus, responded to this review, 4 days ago
Hello precious guest,

Thank you for sharing your honest feedback. I am truly shocked by your experience!
I would like to offer you my sincere apoligies for what happened, In your situation, we should have been more flexible and should have found a suitable solution directly.

I wish I could have personally apologized to you while you were here. Do not hesitate to contact me on lisa@albushotel.com if you wish to elaborate.

Lisa Jurgens
Deputy Manager
Wurzburg, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

The Albus is my favorite Hotel in Amsterdam. Best located for all the Museums and places you have to see. Don´t buy any tickets for bus and tram because you can reach all by Walking in 10 to 15 minutes.
Rooms very comfortable, Special 505. The Albus Team is very friendly, thanks a lot.
Breakfast is good. For the evening there are a lot of Restaurants nearbye where you can eat for a fair Price.
When you arrive by Train take tram no. 16 or 24 to the Hotel. It takes about 5 minutes.

Room Tip: order a room in a higher floor located not to the main street
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple

Dear Henry,

Thank you so much for recommending us on TripAdvisor. I'm glad to read about your positive experience in the Albus and that you loved our location, the staff and our rooms.

I hope we may welcome you again for another blissful stay.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW via mobile

Great first hotel. Liked it aLot cleaners weren't up to scratch didn't clean every day when they did it was crap, would come in the room and just only make the bed not empty the bins etc was just annoying

• Stayed March 2015
Taco v, Eigenaar at The Albus, responded to this review, 4 days ago
Dear Maryanne,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I’m very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us. However I’m sorry to read about your comments about housekeeping and we're sorry that your stay with us wasn't perfect because of this. Please know that we will take appropriate actions within the housekeeping department.

I hope that you will give the Albus a second chance if you will be back in Amsterdam!

Dunfermline, Scotland, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

The Albus is in a very good location within walking distance of all the major attractions. Bed was very comfortable and the room was functional. Staff very helpful. There is a restaurant in the hotel but it's quite expensive so I would recommend eating out - there are loads of little bars and cafés that serve excellent breakfasts and lots of different restaurants serving a broad range of cuisine. We got the hotel shuttle bus from the airport direct to the hotel at a cost of €17 each but decided to get the train back. This was very easy to do as the tram to the station stopped outside the hotel (every couple of minutes) and the trains to the airport are every 15 minutes. It cost €7.70 each in total. We were able to book tickets for all the museums and boat trips (and even tram tickets) at the hotel and this saved a lot of time and queuing, especially at the museums. A vey enjoyable trip and the Albus was a good place to "crash" at the end of a tiring day sightseeing.

Room Tip: We were in a smart city room. It was adequate for what we wanted. We were offered an upgrade at a pr...
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Dear Janice,

I would like to thank you for your compliments about the location, the room and our staff. Our staff always loves to help our guest by purchasing their tickets in advance to save money and also to avoid queues! I'm very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us Janice.

If you wish to visit us again, I can recommend that you book through our own website (albushotel.com) so you can receive a 25% discount on our breakfast buffet.

Thanks again and I hope we may welcome you again.

Annemasse, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Nice hotel in the heart of Amsterdam. Rather big bathroom but not enough hooks to put the towels for the family on.
The room was clean with good beds and bedding but the lay out of the furnisher made it seem a bit small for any family accommodation.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled with family

Dear Margot,

Thank you so much for your kind compliments about the location, cleanliness and the big bathroom.

I'm glad that you and your family had a wonderful stay and I hope that you enjoyed the city of Amsterdam just as much!

Thanks again and I hope we may welcome you again.

The Albus

Been to The Albus? Share your experiences!