“Pleasantly Surprised” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Fresh Meadows, New York
“Pleasantly Surprised”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2014

After we booked I noticed that there were some reviews that complained about the lack of Air Conditioning and that the upper floors were very hot. This definitely concerned us and we were pretty critical when we arrived.

First off, the staff was extremely friendly upon our arrival (and throughout the entire stay..more on this later)

The hotel was very chic and the common areas were nice and cool. When we got our room and the front desk said " You are on the 5th floor" The couple accompanying us got a room on the 4th floor...all we could think was "Nooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!" we sucked it up and went to our room.

There was a fan there and the window opened fully (I have seen some reviews where visitors said theirs didnt) The room was not hot or warm for that matter. A little small (this is Europe after all) but very comfortable and the mattress was amazing...like a memory foam. The other couple had a similar experience (we actually talked about how good the beds were over breakfast). Im not sure if heat wasnt a problem because of the moderate weather we had but the fan was enough and we even turned it off in favor of the nice breeze coming through our window

The staff was amazing! They always greeted us with a smile and made themselves available at all times. They made calls for us to get reservations at some restaurants (being from the US the call would cost alot). There was even one night when we came back late and the restaurant was closed. I asked for the best place to get some bitterballen and she said most spots were closed. as we were heading to the elevator she came to us and asked if we would like to have some made by the chef. of course we agreed and she took our room numbers and brought it up as room service.. there were AMAZING.. make sure to get some.

The hotel is located centrally and close to everything transportation (great if you get the iamsterdam city pass), restaurants, bakeries, coffee shops, cafes, the blomenmarket and rembrandtsplein...(lots more)

I really enjoyed this hotel. Id return and recommend it

Room Tip: room 509 was small but nice and quiet and the window opens fully. No Bugs either
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Taco v, Eigenaar at The Albus, responded to this review, September 5, 2014
Hello precious guest,

Thank you very much for leaving such an extended review!

I am happy to read that you have enjoyed various facets of the hotel and that you have even tried the famous Dutch snack "bitterballen" prepared by our own Chef!

Make sure that you try some more of his unconventional food art on your next visit, as all he cooks in Senses restaurant is truly amazing.

Thank you again for recommending the Albus and hoping to see you back soon!

Deputy Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (224)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Perth
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2014

We really enjoyed our stay. Location is perfect for exploring the city, and easy to get to from central station. Staff was very professional and helpful! Only thing we missed was a fridge in the room.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Taco v, Eigenaar at The Albus, responded to this review, August 21, 2014
Hello valuable guest,

Thank you for your nice review!

We are keen to be green try to minimize the waste of energy. Therefore we do not provide fridges or minibars in the rooms. However, we do offer roomservice without any delivery charge so you can still enjoy some cool drinks in your room. We are also happy to bring up an ice bucket to your room to chill your beverages at any time.

We hope to welcome you again soon for another consious stay in the Albus!

Miami, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2014

Cute boutique hotel right in the center of the city. Very friendly staff. In regards to the lack of a.c. it was no problem because of the high-powered fan. We stayed in August (probably the hottest time of the year) and felt no discomfort because of the lack of a.c. Would definitely stay here again during another visit to Amsterdam!

Room Tip: We emailed in advance asking for the best possible view and got a great view of the city!
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
Taco v, Eigenaar at The Albus, responded to this review, August 21, 2014
Hello precious guest,

Thank you very much for your wondeful compliments!

I am glad to read that you have enjoyed a comfortable stay and that the soundless fan helped to cool your room during the warm summer days.

We will be honoured to welcome you again in the Albus soon!

2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014

Arrived to check in and the rooms were not ready for another 3-4 hours.....almost 5:30pm. Understaffed as even the next day,..folks were waiting for rooms. When we received rooms, we were in the basement for both (had only booked one of those rooms for our daughters) and so we were comped breakfast for the difference in price between the sub-terranean rooms and deluxe we had originally booked,..but I had to ask for that,..they did not inform me of the error. When we took a shower, the shower leaked and the bathroom floor was flooded. This would possibly explain the musty, wet odor we encountered when we first entered the room. In fact, the entire hotel smells oddly musty when you enter. No air conditioning so they provide fans which does not really do the trick, especially if underground. Breakfast is good but not worth $25.00 US per person. We placed our passports in the safe and it somehow locked up and a technician had to come and literally dismantle it. Perhaps it is the underground rooms with all the issues as we did not get to see the room we actually booked. Staff was friendly and tried to address the issues as best they could but it simply seems that senior management might need to get a handle on things as it is clearly understaffed and folks seem a bit overwhelmed trying to handle all that is clearly not running smoothly. There were many, many irate guests. We simply dealt as I felt somewhat sorry for the staff but did have to kindly inform of the issues as it was simply not worth the money spent. It is unfortunate as the location is excellent but the value for what you pay for is not. I would expect more for 300 euros a nite for two underground rooms as we travelled in B&Bs for half that amount per nite and had triple the service and accommodations. All were booked however as August is clearly a busy month.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Taco v, Eigenaar at The Albus, responded to this review, August 14, 2014
Hello precious guest,

I am sorry to read that you stay wasn't flawless! I thank you for aharing all your comments and I will seriously think about your experiences and the role I have as a manager to improve certain processes.

Regarding your room, I understood from the receptionist who checked you in, that she did offer you a room move to the correct roomtype, but that you preferred to have complimentary breakfast instead. She also asked you about your stay on several occacions and she did not receive any complaints or feedback from you. I am sorry that we could not do something about your feelings while you were here and you that you have now left with mixed feelings about the Albus

I do hope that you are willing to give the Albus a second chance. Just contact me directly on lisa@albushotel.com when you have any plans to travel to Amsterdam again so we can make your next stay as blissful as possible!

Manchester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014

I made the booking a couple of days before I travelled. After a very busy day, I arrived at the hotel around 11pm (I had told them that I was arriving late), only to be told by the (very pleasant) gent at the desk that there had been "a problem with the booking system", and that I would need to stay at anther hotel - further out of town.

I told them that this was unacceptable. I hadn't booked another hotel - I booked The Albus. If I wanted to stay at another hotel, then I would have booked another hotel!

I have been at this hotel before and one of the people I travelled with had to stay in another hotel because of overbooking! Surely this happening twice could not just be a coincidence! I know that *some* hotels overbook, hoping that some guests don't show up. The hotel reception staff seemed to know what they were doing (offering free breakfast, another hotel, room upgrade, etc.), so I suspect that this is something that they are used to!

ONLY BOOK THIS HOTEL IF YOU DON'T MIND A "MYSTERY HOTEL"!

There was a (printed) note from the hotel manager and a small bottle of Prosecco in the room when I finally got in there on the second night. This makes me suspect that this is a standard occurrence.

The complimentary breakfast was ok. the beans looked like they may have been their some time and the chef was quite rude after my fiancee didn't replace the bacon tweezers properly (imagine!). The rest of the staff we very polite.

Our upgraded room had a very big bed, but other than that, was quite small, had no mini-bar, no bath (just a shower) and NO AIR CONDITIONING!

With temperatures outside at 20 DEG C (ish) the room was very warm. There was a fan, but the windows didn't open very far. It was too warm at night to have the fan off, and too noisy with it on. Welcome to 3 hours of sleep!

The reception was air conditioned. Still, as long as the staff are cool, eh!

I had raved about this hotel to my fiancee. I looked like a fool! I will not be staying here (or anywhere else they decide to put me) again.

Room Tip: Make sure you stress when you book that ANOTHER HOTEL IS NOT ACCEPTABLE!
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Taco v, Eigenaar at The Albus, responded to this review, August 15, 2014
Hello precious guest,

I am sorry to read about your experiences and that we could not accomodate you on your first night! I appreciate your choice for the Albus and I completely understand your frustrations.

We absolutely try out utmost to avoid overbooking at all times, but unfortunately it does occur once in a while due to system errors or even maintenance related causes.

I understand your comment about the staff who seemed to know what they were doing. In fact our staff is well trained to handle each situation in a professional way including unfortunate cases like yours. They have tried to make up for the inconvenience as much as possible while you were here.

I really regret it that we might have lost you as a returning guest and I will personally e-mail you to see what we can do to make you feel better about the Albus.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

Upon check-in we were told to have a seat on the sofa and they came to us with the check-in papers and complimentary tea and coffee. This was very relaxing and different than the regular stand at the desk check-in.

There's a Nespresso coffee machine in the room with complimentary pads. The TV welcomes you with your name and the room was clean. The location of the hotel is also good.

The only con I can think of is the size of the room. It was on the small side but still fine for us.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Taco v, Eigenaar at The Albus, responded to this review, August 13, 2014
Hello valuable guest,

Thank you very much for your nice review!

We offer different room types, from the Smart City Room (the smallest) to our Stunning City Suites (most spacious). All rooms come with the same facilities such as free Nespresso and mineral water and an extended inroom enternainment system.

I am glad that you have enjoyed your room despite of the size and I hope that you will choose to stay in the Albus again upon your next stay in Amsterdam!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2014

I have stayed here on two separate occasions and the location, staff and rooms can't be beaten! Will definitely stay here every time I go to Amsterdam. If possible ask for a room on the top floor on the street side - the views are great!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Taco v, Eigenaar at The Albus, responded to this review, August 13, 2014
Hello valuable guest,

Thank you so much for your positive review!

It is great to read you compliments on our staff and the rooms, I will definitely share them with eveyone here.

We hope to welcome you back soon, just make sure you mention your preferred room with your booking so we can hold it for you for another blissful stay!

Deputy Manager

Been to The Albus? Share your experiences!