“Overall disappointment ” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Albus

You added The Albus to your Saves list
The Albus
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Vijzelstraat 49, 1017 HE Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Canal Ring (Grachtengordel))   |
Offers & Announcements
€5 off room rate
Ranked #58 of 357 Hotels in Amsterdam
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
London
“Overall disappointment ”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014 via mobile

The hotel's website really made me excited to stay here BUT on arrival the staff were all over the place and didn't seem to know what was going on. There is a hidden €50 deposit in which I hadn't accounted for on my short stay. When you get the deposit back they take tourist tax off it as well around €8 which they didn't mention when they took it. I would have expected to pay this when paying for the hotel before the stay. The room was clean but small and boiling hot. No aircon. Large clean bathroom but looked dated. The bed was nice and comfy but me and my boyfriend ended up with a gap between us. (2 singles pushed together) I was extremely disappointed with the hotel and the price and star rating does not reflect what you are paying for.

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank HonestJKD
Hello valuable guest,

Thank you for your honest feedback!

I am sorry that you were not informed about the € 50,00 deposit as a guarantee for possible extra's and about the 5.5% city tax that all hotels in Amsterdam are obliged to charge. I am not sure which booking channel you have used to make your booking, but we share this information on our website and in our written confirmations. We also mention our deposit policy and city tax levy upon check in. I am very sorry that you missed all this!

We try to communicate as much as possible about our payment policies on other websites as well, however some external booking chennels do not publish this information. Therefore I always recommend to use our own website for your reservations (and best rates guaranteed!).

Do not hesitate to contact me directly if you have any further questions on this matter on lisa@albushotel.com.

Usa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

Cool hotel, Robin the girl who greeted us was awesome. Rooms are decent size, clean, and modern, but it has no Air Conditioning, which made our stay uncomfortable. We would rush to get out of the hotel, and dread the time to come back.
The hotel has a great price, but we made the mistake of booking in hotels.com, which charged us 70 Euros more per night!!! I would stay here again but not in the summer and booking directly through the hotel.

Room Tip: Book directly with the hotel
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank worldcitizen22
Hello precious guest,

Thank you for your nice compliments on Robin and I am glad to read that you would stay with us again despite of the discomfort that you have expereinced because of the heat. It has been exceptionally warm lately!

Please, do make your next booking through www.albushotel.com or just contact us by e-mail on reservations@albushotel.com for the best rates guaranteed.

I hope to welcome you again soon!

Antwerp, Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

The hotel is clean, well equipped and very well placed (around the corner of the flower market and Rembrandtplein) within walking distance from the train station and the heart of the city. Personnel is friendly, always ready to help, breakfast correct although not a very big choice of food. They also have a “restaurant” offering a modest dinner at affordable price. The only disadvantages that I had experienced, were the busy street (if you happen to get a room on the street side) and high temperatures on floors 5 and up...All together a place to return to on a cooler day!

Room Tip: Not the street side if you like calm nights!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Maria C
Hello precious guest,

Thank you very much for your nice comments on our friendly staff and our restaurant!

In case you have any suggestions for our blissful breakfast buffet, please let me know on lisa@albushotel.com as we currently are working hard to improve the range/variety of the buffet. We do believe that all we offer should be of excellent taste rather than an overload of products of inferior quality, but there is always room for expansion or changes. Your personal feedback is more than welcome!

Hoping to welcome you in the Albus soon for an even better breakfast and blissful stay!

Arlington, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

This hotel has no air-conditioning, as others have noted. Our room faced a busy street, so when it was warm outside, it was loud when the windows were open. Our first night here, it was quite warm, so we had the windows cracked and a fan on, so the temperature was manageable, but it was noisy. Worse, there were mosquitoes in both of our rooms and our children and we got several mosquito bites. The noise and mosquitos made for a very bad night.

Phones didn't work in our rooms, which created some difficulty when trying to make some last-minute flight adjustments. I got several different answers when asking how to dial an outside number before it was determined that phones in our rooms did not work.

Breakfast is ridiculously priced at 19 Euros/per person, but fortunately there are decent bakeries and cafes in close walking distance. In general, food in the hotel restaurant is way overpriced. We did not eat there because there are about 1000 good restaurants nearby.

Most of the staff were friendly and helpful, but a few weren't. The rooms were fairly spacious and up-to-date except for the lack of A/C. The location is pretty good - near Rembrandtsplein, Koningsplein and a nice shopping street.

If you're coming in summer, it is probably worth it to look for a place with A/C. Otherwise, I would recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: If you need quiet, ask for rooms away from the main street.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank cynthcore
Hello valuable guest,

Thank you for your extended feedback and for recommeding the Albus!

I completely understand that musquito's did not contribute to a good night sleep and I am sorry for that!

I am sorry to read that you find our restaurant overpriced. The creative food art that our chefs prepare for lunch and diner and the service delivered are of superb quality and Senses restaurant is also highly rated on Tripadvsor (#60 out of 2239 Amsterdam restaurants).

I hope that you have the chance to try it yourself during your next trip. I recommend to try our 3 course Senses surprise menu, I am sure that you will be amazed!

Sun Prairie, Wisconsin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

This was our third hotel on a European tour. It was a our least favorite for several reasons. The positives: The location was great! We found it easy to navigate either walking or by tram to any location. The staff were very friendly and we enjoyed having the complimentary drinks in the lobby and coffee and water in the room. Also, the bed was large and comfortable. We were also allowed to check in early when our train arrived early in the day. The negatives: We were placed on the first floor on the busy street side. We talked to the front desk about the street noise and they asked us to stay to "try it out", neither my husband or I like to cause trouble so we stayed put after that even though it was not enjoyable. That was paired with no air conditioning and the need to keep the windows wide open. Even during the day hours we could not hear ourselves think with the window open which was required or it was too hot. We stayed 4 nights, one of which was a world cup soccer game with the Netherlands which we slept with the window closed to try to sleep and spent the night roasting in our room. Another negative was that the bathroom was not clean. It smelled bad, there was mold in the shower, the floor wasn't clean (I found a coffee stir stick from another guest on the floor) and it was dirty/sticky. The hotel lobby and first floor smelled like sewage for two of the days we were there, then we were awoken one day to a sewer truck outside our window with a tube hooked up to the building draining the tank. It filled our room with a very offensive smell that could not be gotten rid of for hours. The first night we plugged in our cell phones to charge overnight and were disappointed to find out that all of the outlets were connected to the light switches. If the lights are off, the outlets were off.
The shower was too small for my 6'3" 260lb husband for some reason there was a tub fixture right in the way of where you would stand to be under the water stream. It appeared this was a problem for others because the fixture had been previously torn out of the wall. There was also a bar to hang on to in order to pull yourself out of the tub and this was also not attached and had been torn out of the wall. I was concerned about the bacteria that was forming and the water that was pouring into the wall behind these fixtures. My guess is that might have been contributing to the foul smell in the bathroom. Also, whenever my husband or I sat on the toilet it made a sound as if it was going to detach from the wall.

I loved the location and we did not let these things affect our vacation in a negative way. However, I would suggest to the Albus to step up their cleaning and maintenance routine. Put more information about their lack of air conditioning on their website, and also to talk to guests about the noise before putting someone front and center to the street activities. We stayed in hotels of similar price in Brussels and Paris and we had a more pleasant experience

Room Tip: This hotel does not have air conditioning in any room. If you have your window open you will be sub...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
      Location
1 Thank Amy N
Hello precious guest,

Thank you very much for your honest and extended feedback!

I take all your comments very seriously and will take the appropiate actions where nessesary. I am extremely sorry for the inconvenience regarding our housekeeping standards, this is absolutely unacceptable. I would also like to apologize for the sewer truck. Unfortunately the company responsible did not honour our urgent request to come later in the day instead of in the morning and we have filed an official complaint.

I am glad that you enjoyed our complimentary drinks in the lobby and in the rooms and that you value the friendliness of our staff. Therefore I do hope that you will return to the Albus for a blissful stay in a cool and quiet room next time!

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

Friendly personel, toplocation, but keep in mind that there is no airconditioning in this hotel. As soon as the outside temperature exceeds 20 degrees celcius, it becomes unpleasantly hot in the rooms. The ventilator that is provided in each room helps, but does not solve the problem. During the first night, we had to stay in a room at the front of the hotel. The noise was so loud that we could not keep the windows open when sleeping, thus increasing the problem with the heath. So bottom line: I will not come here again during the summer. All the design in the world cannot compensate for the basic need of having a cool room that allows for a decent night of sleep.

Vriendelijk personeel, toplocatie, maar hou er rekening mee dat er geen airco is in dit hotel. Van zodra dat het buiten meer dan 20 graden is, wordt het in de kamers onaangenaam warm. De ventilator die in de kamer staat helpt, maar het blijft onaangenaam. Eerst hadden we

Room Tip: Always ask for a room at the back of the hotel. The rooms are smaller but the noise is MUCH less.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank Jan D
Hello precious guest,

Thank you for leaving a review on this website!

I am sorry to read that you did not have the best night of sleep due to the heat and street noise. Unfortunately the location in the heart of Amsterdam comes with the sounds of the city, meaning traffic and (party)people. Nevertheless, I hope that you would like to give the Albus a second chance in winter and I hope to welcome you back in a warm and comfy room then!

Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Albus in one of their one bedroom apartments. We were absolutely delighted! Everything was of course quite small but it was equipped with everything we needed including silverware, dishes, microwave, washer and dryer. Our only regret was not staying longer. The location was convenient and was a very good experience.

Room Tip: Stay in one of their apartments.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear precious guest,

Thank you very much for your nice compliments on our apartment. We hope to welcome you again soon for another blissful stay in Amsterdam!