“Not my favorite hotel” 2 of 5 stars
Review of The Albus

Save Saved
You added The Albus to your Saves list
The Albus
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Vijzelstraat 49, 1017 HE Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Rembrandtplein)   |
Offers & Announcements
Free room upgrade
Ranked #66 of 345 Hotels in Amsterdam
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Sun Prairie, Wisconsin
“Not my favorite hotel”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

This was our third hotel on a European tour. It was a our least favorite for several reasons. The positives: The location was great! We found it easy to navigate either walking or by tram to any location. The staff were very friendly and we enjoyed having the complimentary drinks in the lobby and coffee and water in the room. Also, the bed was large and comfortable. We were also allowed to check in early when our train arrived early in the day. The negatives: We were placed on the first floor on the busy street side. We talked to the front desk about the street noise and they asked us to stay to "try it out", neither my husband or I like to cause trouble so we stayed put after that even though it was not enjoyable. That was paired with no air conditioning and the need to keep the windows wide open. Even during the day hours we could not hear ourselves think with the window open which was required or it was too hot. We stayed 4 nights, one of which was a world cup soccer game with the Netherlands which we slept with the window closed to try to sleep and spent the night roasting in our room. Another negative was that the bathroom was not clean. It smelled bad, there was mold in the shower, the floor wasn't clean (I found a coffee stir stick from another guest on the floor) and it was dirty/sticky. The hotel lobby and first floor smelled like sewage for two of the days we were there, then we were awoken one day to a sewer truck outside our window with a tube hooked up to the building draining the tank. It filled our room with a very offensive smell that could not be gotten rid of for hours. The first night we plugged in our cell phones to charge overnight and were disappointed to find out that all of the outlets were connected to the light switches. If the lights are off, the outlets were off.
The shower was too small for my 6'3" 260lb husband for some reason there was a tub fixture right in the way of where you would stand to be under the water stream. It appeared this was a problem for others because the fixture had been previously torn out of the wall. There was also a bar to hang on to in order to pull yourself out of the tub and this was also not attached and had been torn out of the wall. I was concerned about the bacteria that was forming and the water that was pouring into the wall behind these fixtures. My guess is that might have been contributing to the foul smell in the bathroom. Also, whenever my husband or I sat on the toilet it made a sound as if it was going to detach from the wall.

I loved the location and we did not let these things affect our vacation in a negative way. However, I would suggest to the Albus to step up their cleaning and maintenance routine. Put more information about their lack of air conditioning on their website, and also to talk to guests about the noise before putting someone front and center to the street activities. We stayed in hotels of similar price in Brussels and Paris and we had a more pleasant experience

Room Tip: This hotel does not have air conditioning in any room. If you have your window open you will be sub...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Hello precious guest,

Thank you very much for your honest and extended feedback!

I take all your comments very seriously and will take the appropiate actions where nessesary. I am extremely sorry for the inconvenience regarding our housekeeping standards, this is absolutely unacceptable. I would also like to apologize for the sewer truck. Unfortunately the company responsible did not honour our urgent request to come later in the day instead of in the morning and we have filed an official complaint.

I am glad that you enjoyed our complimentary drinks in the lobby and in the rooms and that you value the friendliness of our staff. Therefore I do hope that you will return to the Albus for a blissful stay in a cool and quiet room next time!

Deputy Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
  • Polish first
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

Friendly personel, toplocation, but keep in mind that there is no airconditioning in this hotel. As soon as the outside temperature exceeds 20 degrees celcius, it becomes unpleasantly hot in the rooms. The ventilator that is provided in each room helps, but does not solve the problem. During the first night, we had to stay in a room at the front of the hotel. The noise was so loud that we could not keep the windows open when sleeping, thus increasing the problem with the heath. So bottom line: I will not come here again during the summer. All the design in the world cannot compensate for the basic need of having a cool room that allows for a decent night of sleep.

Vriendelijk personeel, toplocatie, maar hou er rekening mee dat er geen airco is in dit hotel. Van zodra dat het buiten meer dan 20 graden is, wordt het in de kamers onaangenaam warm. De ventilator die in de kamer staat helpt, maar het blijft onaangenaam. Eerst hadden we

Room Tip: Always ask for a room at the back of the hotel. The rooms are smaller but the noise is MUCH less.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Hello precious guest,

Thank you for leaving a review on this website!

I am sorry to read that you did not have the best night of sleep due to the heat and street noise. Unfortunately the location in the heart of Amsterdam comes with the sounds of the city, meaning traffic and (party)people. Nevertheless, I hope that you would like to give the Albus a second chance in winter and I hope to welcome you back in a warm and comfy room then!

Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Albus in one of their one bedroom apartments. We were absolutely delighted! Everything was of course quite small but it was equipped with everything we needed including silverware, dishes, microwave, washer and dryer. Our only regret was not staying longer. The location was convenient and was a very good experience.

Room Tip: Stay in one of their apartments.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear precious guest,

Thank you very much for your nice compliments on our apartment. We hope to welcome you again soon for another blissful stay in Amsterdam!

Chagrin Falls, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

The staff was extremely helpful, location is great and the atmosphere is definatly upscale. The room is a little small to the American taste, but based on other hotels I've stayed at in Amsterdam, the room size is typical. The elevator was greatly appreciated as some other hotels in this price range require a climb to your room up very steep steps.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Hello precious guest,

Thank you for your nice compliments on our staff and atmosphere.

I hope to welcome you back soon for another blissful stay in the Albus!

3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

The Hotel has a superb location in the heart of Amsterdam. You get a voucher for complimentary glass of wine on arrival. Service is excellent with a very friendly staff who remind you of service in a five star hotel. Their suites are spacious and the hotel is well kept and very clean. Toiletries in the rooms are nice and good quality.

Unfortunately the rooms have no air conditioning and depending on location, can get warm during summertime. The Hotel provides you with electric fans. Depending if your room faces the street or your windows face the noisy side street, rooms are quite noisy because since the rooms have no air conditioning, you need to open the windows. To alleviate the problem, the Hotel provides you with earplugs! Imagine, wearing earplugs to sleep. Ask for quiet rooms if you mind the noise.

The Hotel is a great alternative.

Room Tip: Ask for quiet rooms away from the front and side streets.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Hello valuable guest,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review on this website and for your positive comments on our service standards!

Since we are located in the heart of bubbly Amsterdam which has loads of benefits, street noise is unfortunately one of the disadvantages. I am glad to see that you do value the cleanliness, the rooms and our staff and I hope that your stay has been blissful anyway!

I hope to meet you in the Albus during your next visit!

Decatur, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014 via mobile

Stayed for one night. The location is very convenient for almost anything you'd want to do. A block from the flower market, two blocks from Rembrandt square. Quite a bit of street noise. The clue should have been complimentary ear plugs in the room. This was exacerbated by no air conditioning and open windows. Food was decent, staff was excellent. Room was a decent size.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Hello precious guest,

Thank you very much for your feedback and your nice comments about our staff!

I am sorry to read that the streetnoise has been a bit disturbing during your stay, but perhaps one of our rooms in the back or on the side of the hotel will be the perfect solution for your next trip to lively Amsterdam.

I hope to welcome you again in the Albus soon!

Scotland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for 3 nights and found the room incredibly noisy. Not only was the street noise bad, but bearable, but the sound insulation between rooms was poor. A large group of guests seemed to be departing from 4- 5.30 one morning and the shouting, door slamming, tramping up the corridor etc made it impossible to sleep. In their defence, it was almost impossible to close the door quietly. Otherwise the room was fine for our needs but slightly gloomy and the bedside reading lights were not correctly angled for reading. The Nespresso coffee available in the room and at reception was most welcome, but I really wanted tea-making facilities in my room. Despite asking staff 3 times (although I asked in passing and not at reception) these never materialised. I feel that this is a rather negative review but I left feeling rather grumpy through lack of sleep! However, the hotel was very well placed for all the major sights and the hotel staff were incredibly helpful and friendly. The welcome drink and orientation was most appreciated.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Taco v, Eigenaar at The Albus, responded to this review, July 7, 2014
Hello valuable guest,

Thank you very much for your honest feedback about your stay and your nice compliments about our staff and welcome services.

I understand that you are not happy with the noise made by some of other guests leaving early and I am sorry that you have been disturbed!

Do you remember from which staff you did try to order the tea facilities and would you be so kind to e-mail me this on lisa@albushotel.com? I know our front office team has a properly working guests request system, but of course I expect all of our staff to react on guests requirements in a adequate way.

Hoping to welcome you back in the Albus for a more peaceful stay!

Deputy Manager

Been to The Albus? Share your experiences!