“Convenient Location, Small Room, Poor Service” 3 of 5 stars

Package Deal
Ranked #63 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Convenient Location, Small Room, Poor Service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2014

I deliberated for some time and looked at a few options before finally booking this oner … and have to say that I expected something more for 230.00 Euros a night!
The convenient central location and funkily decorated entrance and small ground floor bar were the highlights – and first impressions were that everything looked quite nice.
The room was really small – I booked a ‘deluxe’ room – and I’m not quite sure how hotels define ‘deluxe’, but ‘standard’ would have been a more appropriate description . It did have a Nespresso machine and a bath robe – but I don’t see how this can honestly class a room as ‘deluxe’.
On the website, with a few well chosen wide angle shots – it looks much bigger – I can’t believe that I wasn’t a bit more savvy to this old trick! The ‘standard’ rooms I guess must be one size up from a postage stamp!
While the room itself has been refurbished and modernized – dark wood floors, white walls and some quite nice bed linen / throws /cushions … the bathroom definitely hasn’t! It still has the same old moulded plastic speckled pattern basin unit and floor covering that it must have had in the early 1990s – when the property would have still been a hotel but under another name.
The windows were big so a reasonably light and you had a great view right into the office block the other side of the Vijzelstraat. You could almost join them for meetings!
The bed filled the room dwarfing everything else … I could hardly fit all my luggage into the room and the desk area was cramped – although it did have a 13A plug socket as well as a euro-plug option which was good. The lighting was also OK. However no fridge, so no-where to chill soft drinks was a bit of a disappointment!
The first day I asked for a taxi to be called for 8.15 a.m. and arrived downstairs at exactly that time … but it took 30 minutes to show up and I missed my first meeting at the RAI exhibition centre, so that didn’t impress me, although it’s hard to blame the hotel directly for being let down by the taxi company!
The internet was rubbish – it didn’t work the whole time I was there – all of 2 days – and so I resorted to using my 3G dongle which saved my backside and zipped along nicely. When I called up to about the internet, they didn’t seem the slightest bothered and just said that they were waiting for their ISP to sort it out. They said the same thing 2 days later, so clearly the Albus Hotel is not one of the ISP’s propriety clients!
I took my laundry down 45 minutes before the ‘same day return’ deadline of 9 a.m. and left it at reception, but when I returned to my room that evening, it was back there, there, still dirty with a note saying that I had not handed it in in time! I could not figure out how 45 minutes in advance was suddenly too late!
On the second night I got in after the exhibition and decided to try room service. However, they could not get a sandwich sorted … only things from the dinner menu. All I wanted was a sandwich, so in the end … I gave up!
Other than that, the staff were reasonably helpful most of the time.
Originally I planned to spend an extra day in Amsterdam and be in ‘the office’, but I didn’t like being in the room at all, so instead took the train to Brussels and spent the extra day there in a far nicer environment.
So … I would not stay at the Albus again and nor would I recommend it. Amsterdam is a place I visit relatively regularly … but I’m still searching for a reasonably priced and good quality hotel in a central location to which I would happily return!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Taco v, Eigenaar at The Albus, responded to this review, February 7, 2014
Hello valuable guest,

Thank you for leaving such an extended review. I am very sorry that you did not experience your stay as pleasant as expected on different fields. We take all your comments very seriously and I sincerely hope that we will get the chance to proof you better next time you will be staying in Amsterdam.

Would you please be so kind to e-mail me on lisa@albushotel.com so I can get in touch with you directly?

With kind regards,
Lisa Jurgens
Deputy Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (178)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Cambridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2014

Although I only stayed here one night (and got a free upgrade to a suite - shame I didn't have longer to enjoy it!) so can't comment on any food provided by this hotel, I found the hotel to be very clean, well maintained and with the very friendly & extremely helpful staff, indeed I would suggest that Mariska (sorry if I spelt you name wrong!) on reception could be nominated as the nicest person in Amsterdam!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2014

I stayed in the Albus hotel with my girlfriend for 2 nights and I must say I had a wonderful experience. As soon as we walked in the staff were ready to serve hand on foot. They gave us a massive run down of the city and gave us information on all of the touristy things to do. The rooms were in superb condition and were cleaned and tidied daily. I would definitely recommend a stay here. Location was good, but was a walk from Dam square. That didn't bother us as there was a lot to see on the way and we are massive walkers when on holiday anyway. All around great stay here.

Room Tip: Room needed two bath robes. We stayed in your deluxe double room.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2014 via mobile

This hotel is in a great location. Good for a short weekend in Amsterdam. Interior and rooms are good. If you are traveling for business and require reliable internet, I would not recommend this hotel. Seems like the management of the hotel are seeing the big picture but are missing the details that's make a hotel really great.

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Huntington Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2014 via mobile

Clean, chic, wonderful staff, friendly atmosphere and the perfect location. Walk to all of the sites and nightlife. Starbucks around the corner, but the nespresso machines in the room are great. Hot water, cold water, coffee, and tea always in the lobby. Had a room by the Main Street, but was not too loud to sleep even with the windows open. Boutique hotel in a great location and beautiful city.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2014

Had a very good stay here last weekend. Very good location near to Rembrandtsplein within walking distance of all attractions. In our room it was peaceful and quiet so sleep was not disrupted despite being close a fairly busy street and around the corner from a busy square and one of the main shopping streets in the city. Staff very nice and friendly.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2014

We stayed at The Albus for three nights whilst in Amsterdam for the weekend. The hotel is really modern, chic and clean. The reception staff are very friendly and offered us hot drinks when we arrived and checked in before seeing us to the room. We stayed in a queen size room, it was small but for a city hotel it was fine. The main thing was it was very clean, and had all the necessities including a pod type coffee machine which was replenished daily as was bottled water.

At reception is a book of recommendations for restaurants, bars etc from the staff themselves. You should definitely take a look at this as we chose where to eat from this book and loved where we ended up each time, it's good to get a locals view.

The staff offered us advice of where to go and were always on hand to help us find locations on the maps they provide. We also purchased our tram tickets from reception, if you plan to travel by tram over the weekend get a 48hr ticket as it works out cheaper then the 24hr ones. We used the trams to get around the entire time, including evenings out as they run to midnight and there is a stop just a bit further up the road than the hotel.

The hotel is very centrally though and you could walk around too, probably 10 min stroll to Dam Square. The hotel is in a nice quieter part of town but still amongst it.

There is a small cafe across the road to the hotel called PKing, on the corner. We had breakfast here everyday for around €14 for two, cheaper than the hotels restaurant which I think was charging over €15 each for breakfast.

Overall great city hotel would definitely recommend and return to if visiting Amsterdam again.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to The Albus? Share your experiences!