“Fantastic service and excellent amenities” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Albus

Save Saved
You added The Albus to your Saves list
The Albus
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Vijzelstraat 49, Amsterdam 1017 HE, The Netherlands (Rembrandtplein)   |
Offers & Announcements
Free room upgrade
Ranked #56 of 340 hotels in Amsterdam
London, United Kingdom
“Fantastic service and excellent amenities”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

I took my boyfriend to the Albus for a surprise birthday trip to Amsterdam mid-August this year. After booking through Expedia, I emailed the Albus directly to enquire whether there were any additional extras I could add on to make the stay special. When we arrived, we were greeted by a very friendly receptionist who asked whose birthday it was - and told us we had been upgraded to a suite! My boyfriend was over the moon, as was I, as this was much more than I expected. The suite was beautiful, very modern with a huge comfortable bed, rainfall shower, Espresso machine, flat screen TV, the works.

Location of the hotel is great - no more than 5-10 mins walk from Dam square however far enough away that it doesn't feel too 'touristy'. Just behind the hotel is Rembrantsplein which is a lovely plaza with cafes and bars with outside seating, perfect for a drink on the way back. We covered the whole of the city on foot from the Albus which proved to be in an excellent location.
As if the upgrade to a suite wasn't enough, when we arrived back to the room after our first day exploring the city we were greeted with a bottle of champagne on ice along with a note from management wishing my boyfriend a happy birthday - these extra touches made the trip even more special and were unexpected however greatly appreciated.

The staff and service were excellent and the hotel itself was great with good amenities and everything we needed - we didn't want to leave the room! Will definately return.

Room Tip: No air conditioning however two large fans in our room kept us more than cool.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Albushotel, Manager at The Albus, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
Thank you for taking your time to write a review. Hopefully you enjoyed the entire surprise trip to Amsterdam. I’m am very glad you loved your stay with us and the gesture from our front desk. We always strive to do something extra for our guests. I hope we have the honour to welcome you back in the future!

Marloes Kunzmann
Manager

604 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
  • Polish first
Subang Jaya, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

My wife and I stayed at The Albus for a night on 25 August 2013 on our returning leg from the US just to break the journey before returning to Malaysia. We took the "TripAdvisor" offer of a bedroom at the rear and was not disappointed. The offer also comes with a welcome drink of either beer, wine, or coffee, and access to free Wifi. We also booked the discounted breakfast at the hotel, just for the experience. We came down late at 10am and was told the breakfast closes at 10.30am, and with most of the food not replenished (especially the fruits), we made do with what's left within the half hour. The room we stayed was the Splendid City Twin Room (22-24m²), with a King bed at the rear of the hotel (after reading the reviews of TripAdvisor) to avoid the noise at the front. Our booking includes a free upgrade to Stunning City Suite (subject to availability upon arrival), but we were quite pleased with what we have got although we did not get the upgrade (we assume none was available). Our room is already spacious, quiet, and comes with a small settee area, with two leather settees. The disappointment though, is that there is no air conditioning in the room, but the hotel did provide two tower fans, which was just about sufficient to cool the room with the windows wide open. There is a coffee maker in the room, but we did not get to enjoy. The bathroom has a rain shower, but the water pressure isn't strong enough to thoroughly enjoy the shower. There is also an alternative shower point for those who prefer to hold and wash up with the shower head and for a stronger water pressure. The reception staff has been great and was very helpful in recommending an excellent local restaurant, which we went for our dinner about 15 minutes walk away (can be shorter if we are familiar with the street). The lift in the hotel can be a bit slow, which at times do test our patience for the lift to come. The hotel is centrally located and is a short walking distance to the flower market, City of Amsterdam museum, and the canal boat ride, and many places of interests and eateries. We took the airport shuttle bus which drops us at the front of the hotel for Euro33 (for two persons), but for the return, we took the taxi (upon the recommendation of the reception staff) at Euro40, to avoid the need to walk to another pick up point. The hotel do not offer Iamsterdam card, so if you plan to visit many museums and use alot more of the trams, do buy the card from the airport. If I return to Amsterdam, I will stay at the hotel again, but not during the summer months, unless the room is air conditioned.

Room Tip: Go for the rear rooms which are quiet.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Cape Town
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

We checked into the hotel on the second leg of our holiday. I booked the hotel based on the reviews on trip advisor and the good web site and app that the hotel has.Our first room was in the basement which would have been fine if it was not one of the hottest days of the year. This was when I discovered that the hotel does not have air conditioning which is something that a "4 star" hotel should have. Our second room that we were moved to was in the front of the hotel which is fine if you don't have a problem with the continual traffic noise. Given the fact that there is no air conditioning we had to sleep with the windows open. This was an impossible and I requested that we were moved yet again. We finally were moved to a back room which was adequate. The bathroom is a wet room so once you have showered, you have to dry the floor otherwise you have a problem when you want to use the toilet. The room has one very small ineffective fan which hardly cooled the room down at night. The hotel has only one very slow lift so we used the stairs most of the time. The breakfasts were good but the wheels fell off on the Saturday when the restaurant was full. They ran out of bacon and we had to wait some time while it was being grilled in the oven. We had to ask for cutlery and plates as they had run out. The restaurant was understaffed. On the plus side, the reception staff were excellent and went out of their way to attend to our every request. They suggested excellent local restaurants and made several reservations for us. Would I stay there again - I don't think so.

Room Tip: Avoid the front rooms
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Livingston, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

When we went over we booked into this hotel, we heard also of neg reviews but when we got ther doubts were removed. I would rate this 4 star in Amsterdam. Its round the corner from rembrant square and club escape and everything is in distance of this place. the rooms are clean and luxururious, we had no problems from beginning to end

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for three nights and were very pleased. All the staff are friendly and accommodating. This includes the dining staff. The room was spotless and that is one of my first criteria. The room is normal size for European standards. The king bed takes up most of it, and the bed is very comfortable. The Nespresso machine in the room for coffee is above any other in room coffee system I have seen. Our room was on the street and the window insulation was very good. We were here on a week-end so the street noise was pretty intense. We did not lose any sleep because of the noise. The breakfast was adequate but rather boring. Ours was included in the room rate, but 19 euros is too much for what is available. The location is great, right on the tram line to Central Station. Easy walk to most attractions. I would stay here again.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Genova
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

I stayed at The Albus for 3 weeks in August, for business, and I was very satisfied with my stay.
I had a Splendid City Room with a king size bed (extremely comfortable). The room was good size, with a big wardrobe where I could store my giant suitcase with no problems. The wardrobe also had a built in safe, big enough to store my laptop.
The bathroom was again good size, with a very nice shower and hair dryer (that, to be honest, wasn't the best, but good enough for the use I had to make of it).
In the room there was a nespresso machine (very nice, and coffee, sugar etc. were refilled daily), a desk, and a nice TV that also had loads of functions that I didn't explore.
Breakfast was a continental buffet (fruit, pastries, yogurts, bread, cheese, eggs, bacon, pancakes and a selection of jams, juices and cereals). Coffee, cappuccino, tea and other hot drinks were available.
It was a decent breakfast, and my company was paying for it, so I was satisfied. To be honest, though, I don't know if I would have paid 19€ per day for it (that's the price), as I'm sure that with less than that money you can have an equally nice breakfast in some cafe. But again, for me it was just fine.
Location: perfect, just in the city centre, at a walking distance from almost every main attraction.
Wi-fi connection was good, but could be a bit slow at times, especially in the evening.
Staff was extremely friendly and helpful, rooms were spotless clean (cleaning staff was very friendly, too), so really the review cannot be anything but positive. :)

Room Tip: If you're a light sleeper, it might be good to ask for a room at the back, as the ones in the fr...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

My gripe is the size of the room. To be fair, I was asked if I wanted to upgrade for 15EUR but I declined. "I'm only going to bed, not having a party" I thought. But the room was pokey. Might I advise travellers to pay the extra and get a larger room. That aside, good location, clean, comfortable, and as others have said, a coffee machine and reasonable shower ( though again a rather dingy bathroom with no window and poor lighting. I didn't enjoy coffee in the morning since the electricity went off in my room at 7.30 and wasn't restored by the time I left. Showering in the dark was 'interesting'. I have stayed in better hotels for less money (197EUR)

Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

Been to The Albus? Share your experiences!