“Very good hotel” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Genova
“Very good hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

I stayed at The Albus for 3 weeks in August, for business, and I was very satisfied with my stay.
I had a Splendid City Room with a king size bed (extremely comfortable). The room was good size, with a big wardrobe where I could store my giant suitcase with no problems. The wardrobe also had a built in safe, big enough to store my laptop.
The bathroom was again good size, with a very nice shower and hair dryer (that, to be honest, wasn't the best, but good enough for the use I had to make of it).
In the room there was a nespresso machine (very nice, and coffee, sugar etc. were refilled daily), a desk, and a nice TV that also had loads of functions that I didn't explore.
Breakfast was a continental buffet (fruit, pastries, yogurts, bread, cheese, eggs, bacon, pancakes and a selection of jams, juices and cereals). Coffee, cappuccino, tea and other hot drinks were available.
It was a decent breakfast, and my company was paying for it, so I was satisfied. To be honest, though, I don't know if I would have paid 19€ per day for it (that's the price), as I'm sure that with less than that money you can have an equally nice breakfast in some cafe. But again, for me it was just fine.
Location: perfect, just in the city centre, at a walking distance from almost every main attraction.
Wi-fi connection was good, but could be a bit slow at times, especially in the evening.
Staff was extremely friendly and helpful, rooms were spotless clean (cleaning staff was very friendly, too), so really the review cannot be anything but positive. :)

Room Tip: If you're a light sleeper, it might be good to ask for a room at the back, as the ones in the fr...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
  • Polish first
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

My gripe is the size of the room. To be fair, I was asked if I wanted to upgrade for 15EUR but I declined. "I'm only going to bed, not having a party" I thought. But the room was pokey. Might I advise travellers to pay the extra and get a larger room. That aside, good location, clean, comfortable, and as others have said, a coffee machine and reasonable shower ( though again a rather dingy bathroom with no window and poor lighting. I didn't enjoy coffee in the morning since the electricity went off in my room at 7.30 and wasn't restored by the time I left. Showering in the dark was 'interesting'. I have stayed in better hotels for less money (197EUR)

Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Christchurch, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013 via mobile

The Albus is a four star hotel, located in the middle of Amsterdam. It is an ideal location, being within walking distance to restaurants, of which there are so many, shopping, clubs and museums as well as being close to Madame Tussaud's.

We booked in early, as we had come off a river cruise, and our rooms wasn't ready - understandably so. The hotel stored our bags until we returned later in the afternoon. We were offered an upgrade for an extra €15, but as we only staying the one night, we declined. Our room, although on the small size, was more than adequate for us. It was lovely, clean and modern with a good sized ensuite. Having access to free Internet in the room was also a bonus.
However, there is no fridge in the room nor air conditioning, but there is a fan which does keep the room cool, when required, although it is not as effective as air conditioning.
The staff are more than friendly and welcoming and I would have no trouble in recommending this hotel, or staying here again.

Stayed August 2013
Fribourg, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

This hotel is nicely decorated and in the city center. there is a Nespresso coffee maker in the room; breakfast is OK; staff is friendly. I recommend for business purpose - for tourism, I prefer a B&B to feel more like home in this city.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Dear precious guest,

Thank you for your kind words about the Albus. We're happy you enjoyed your stay with us and we'd love to welcome you again soon!

Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

Really helpful staff from start to finish of my stay, especially the women on reception. Hotel was very clean and funky, I loved it. Location was brilliant. I wish i could have taken away the bed with me it was so comfy. The shower was amazing too, one of those waterfall showers. Then a coffee machine right beside the bed. Those touches really made it

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi Anita,

Thanks for the lovely compliments, we're happy you enjoyed the facilities and the efforts made by our staff. We hope to welcome you again soon!

Orange
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

I arrived late on Sunday 25-8-13 .I was given room 101. I had previously stayed there and the room was ok and staff very good. This time the room was so small that i did not have enough room to open out my suitcase and i had to shuffle sideways to pass the wall mounted tv and the end of the bed.I gave feedback to the staff and they basically said i was the last to check in so i cop the that room.Tells me they know its crap. It should be converted to a single room.Just very dissopointed and will not stay there again

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Dear Michael,
Thank you for sharing your experiences. I am sorry that you were not happy about the room size.
The room you mention above is a Smart City Rooms, which is our smallest room type (18-22 m). We absolutely have more spacious rooms, such as Splendid City Rooms (22-24 m, this is where you stayed in during your previous visit), Superb City Rooms (24-32 m) or for true indulgence we offer Stunning Suites (32 m). All room facilities, such as the Nespresso machine and free Wi-Fi are the same for all room types.

I hope that we can welcome you back on your next trip to Amsterdam for one of our larger room types to enjoy a blissful stay!

Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel for 3 nights as a mini honeymoon, The whole experience from arrival to departure was fabulous. Our room was absolutely stunning and spotlessly clean. The facilities in the room were fab! The staff in the hotel were really genuine and extremely friendly and made an effort to get to know us. We had a meal on our first night in the hotels restaurant "senses" we opted for the surprise 3 course meal along with wine pairing. The food was absolutely delicious and really different to anything I would have ordered myself, the lady who served us explained each course, and the wine that went with it, all in all a fabulous stay. The hotel bar is so relaxing I could have sat there all day. Every member of staff made our stay really special from the reception team through to the bar and restaurant. We will definitely return!

• Stayed August 2013

Been to The Albus? Share your experiences!