“In the heart of Amsterdam !!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Albus

Save Saved
You added The Albus to your Saves list
The Albus
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Vijzelstraat 49, 1017 HE Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Rembrandtplein)   |
Offers & Announcements
Free room upgrade
Ranked #73 of 345 hotels in Amsterdam
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Zürich, Schweiz
“In the heart of Amsterdam !!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

This wonderfull new design Hotel is locaded in the heart of amsterdam. The friendly and realy helpfull staff either at the bar, the restaurant and also at the reception makes your stay like feel at home from the 1st minute. i just can say good things about "The Albus" since i would book again a room there wile i be next time in Amsterdam.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Albushotel, Owner at The Albus, responded to this review, August 17, 2012
Hello precious guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your positive experiences. It's great to hear that our team has prooved its service skills and passion for hospitality during your stay!

We hope to welcome you back in The Albus soon!

681 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

Two main points to be made:
1) The staff at this hotel are so rude and need some basic manners! The majority had such attitude and were very unhelpful.
2) We had a standard double room which was so small that it couldn't even fit a full double bed inside!
Certainly would not recommend this hotel, it's not even a good price!

Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Albushotel, Manager at The Albus, responded to this review, August 1, 2012
Dear guest,

I am sorry that our team has not has been albe to meet your expectations! I am very shocked by your comments, especially because we consider guest service in The Albus as one of our stronger values as you also may read in previous reviews on this website.

Therefore I urgently request you to e-mail me more details about your encounters with our staff on lisa@albushotel.com. We are always trying to improve where possible and in this case it would be very helpfull if you could provide me with some concrete examples to address the concerning staff members and take further actions where needed.

Again, I apoligize for your unpleasaent experience and I hope to get in touch soon!

lisa@albushotel.com
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

The simple fact the rooms have not A/C makes it a 3-star hotel to say the most.
Also, the beds are the worst I have ever experienced and who suffers from back-ache like myself should be staying well clear of this hotel or your back is going to be in pain for weeks after (and even during) your stay.
The bathroom looked quite old and would have needed to be freshened.

On the plus side;

The service was generally good to be honest, had a room that faced a loud street and was promptly changed upon request. Apart from that the staff were always willing to help and polite.

The breakfast was huge and good (though expensive)

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Albushotel, Manager at The Albus, responded to this review, July 25, 2012
Dear valuable guest,

Thank you very much for your nice compliments about our team and our Blissful Breakfast! Service is our main focus in The Albus and I am glad we have met your expectations!

On the other hand I am very sorry to read that you did not like our beds. Maybe this comes as a surprise to you, but most of our guests (including myself) do just love the matrasses which are made from special astronautes foam that forms to your own body shape. We also get a lot of requests from guests who want to purchase our extra big pillows or comfy bed linen!

I hope your back is doing better and I am thankful that you did mention the plus sides of your stay with us as well. And secretly I do hope to welcome you again in The Albus another time, although I am afraid we will keep the current high quality mattrasses for a while.

Honolulu
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

I found the Albus on tripadvisor and stayed there. Let me stay the location is great and the hotel is not for older people like me. The hall-ways are dark when you get off the lift. A real modern look. Must have good eyes. Not enough good lighting and counter space in the bathrooms. We had 3 people. We moved from the front of the hotel to the back for 50Euro's more for a suite, it was worth it since the tram is right in font of the hotel. No A/C in the rooms The manager was wonderful and staff in getting us around town, tickets for boat tour. etc, just ask. Again, I want to thank the manager for moving us to the back of the hotel, out of street noise. There are a lot of places for breakfast under 20Euro's around the hotel. Starbucks is just a few short blocks away. Free coffee at the hotel. The rooms were clean and cleaning staff were helpful.. God attitude by all staff. I was there for 3 nights.

Room Tip: No bed bugs
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Albushotel, Manager at The Albus, responded to this review, July 25, 2012
Dear experienced traveller,

Thank you for sharing your experiences on Tripadvisor and thank you for your nice comments on our staff. I will proudly forward these to our Front Office Manager Katja.

I must admit that we keep our corridors less lightned to create a sort of mysterious atmosphere. I am sorry that it has been a little to dark for you! Hopefully it will not hold you back from visiting Amsterdam again and enjoy the hospitality of our team in The Albus!

Worcestershire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for 4 night with my boyfriend. I absolutely loved it! We stayed in room 308 which was nice, quiet and the modern decor was fab, with cool lighting and a flatscreen TV. We had a kingsize bed which was soo comfortable, which is essential after a busy day looking at the many sites of Amsterdam. The rooms were cleaned/tidied everyday and new bedding was put on every other day. I liked the simple touches like a fresh complimentary bottle of water daily and when we were at the bar we had free popcorn and nuts bought over which was lovely.

The location is brilliant, just a few minutes from the flower markets and a 5/10 minute walk to Dam Square. There is a tram stop outside which is great if you have arrived by train/tram :)

The hotel staff could not be faulted, they were always polite and really helpful. Check out was a great time at midday and we left our luggage in a locked room.

Overall, this hotel is a great size for a european hotel, the hospitality is excellent and I would recommend it to anyone wanting a bit of luxury during their visit to Amsterdam.

The only negative was the lack of air conditioning, but we did have a really good fan in our room.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a kingsize bed in a queen room. Few pounds extra but worth it :)
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Albushotel, Manager at The Albus, responded to this review, July 18, 2012
Hello precious guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your friendly comments about our hotel and the staff and also for sharing your photos! I will proudly inform our team about your nice compliments.

We are happy that you liked the Splendid city room #308 in the back of the hotel. Our Splendid city rooms on the street side are even bigger! For your next stay you may also consider that we have a couple of fabulous suites for ultimate luxury! We are now working on a new VIP treatment especially for guests who book a Stunning city suite.

Just check our website for any updates and we hope to welcome you back in The Albus soon!

San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

We stayed here a few nights. It's a clean, modern hotel; you can see some of the upgrade construction is a little shabby if you really examine it, but I was there as a guest, not a construction inspector. The room was clean, and we appreciated little things like new bottled water each day, free wifi, and something small to nibble on in the lobby at certain times.

My main criticism of the hotel was the lack of AC couple with lack of air flow. It can be stifling hot - the hallways are unbearable (not that you are hanging out in these anyway). We had to keep the window open and there was a fan in the room because the heat is an obvious problem in summer.

I found the staff very helpful in pointing out places to eat, explaining how to get to places and changing euros since so many places will not accept $100 euro bills (annoying).

As others said, the location is great. I especially appreciated the easy walk to Utrechtsestraat where good restaurants frequented by locals is located.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Helsinki, Finland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

We've stayed at the albus for 2 nights. First as we arrived we were told that our room was on lobby floor and we were offered to pay more and up-grate it to a better one before we even saw it. It was terribly small and on the walking road with huge window to the street so of course we up-grated it. The room we got instead wasn't much bigger but at least it was on higher floor, and still it was horribly noisy,. Shower floor dirty and slippery. Staff rude and nu-friendly. No air-conditioner and even that it was only june it felt like a sauna. This cant be more than 3stars hotel. Location is ok, but for the price you could get much better hotel in much better location. Have been to many hotels in my life and even 2 stars hotel were better then this. Will definitely go back to Amsterdam, but will not return nor recommended this hotel to anyone else then youngsters/party people who would only come to sleep there and even then i believe you'd find hostels with a better price. Just not worth it!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
, Manager at The Albus, responded to this review, July 14, 2012
Dear guest,

I am very sorry to read that your stay in The Albus was disappointing!

Also I am very surprised about your comments on our team and more than willing to improve where possible. Could you please e-mail me some more detailed information about the unsatisfying service delivered by our staff during your stay on lisa@albushotel.com?

Deputy Manager

Been to The Albus? Share your experiences!