“American-style Hotel for the Walmart Traveler” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Casa 400

You added Hotel Casa 400 to your Saves list
Hotel Casa 400
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Eerste Ringdijkstraat 4, 1097BC Amsterdam, The Netherlands   |
Ranked #60 of 355 Hotels in Amsterdam
Mount Pocono, PA
“American-style Hotel for the Walmart Traveler”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2009

Now I am not one to disparage Walmart like so many others do. It has it's place in our economy and their success should be applauded in this day of failing business. They serve a particular niche - bargain prices on utilitarian items. I don't shop at Walmart for designer clothing, high-end electronics or gourmet food. But when I want to stuff the larder at home or pick-up some casual clothing, there's no better deal out there than Walmart.

The Casa 400 hotel serves the same purpose for me when I visit Amsterdam. It's not trendy, it's not pretty and it isn't exactly in the middle of the action, but for a reasonable price you get a clean comfortable room located just a few meters from the subway. On previous visits I wasn't always impressed by the seemingly disinterested staff, but on my most recent stay I found a much more positive attitude at both the front desk and the breakfast room. The bar was very accomodating toward our large group also.

The rooms themselves are a bit spartan, but as long as there were clean sheets, a functioning TV and clean bathroom, what more does one need? You're in freakin' Amsterdam. Party Central. The hotel serves as a nice place to bed down and clean-up. Rooms were quiet, comfortable for European standards (meaning big enough to turn around in but a little cramped if you wish to lay out your suitcase) and reasonably priced. Even if I weren't in a tour group I would consider booking this hotel when traveling alone.

• Stayed June 2009

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2009

When I got into the hotel, I got the impression the rooms were going to be reasonable. The recept area looked alright, and the building quite well maintained, so how bad can the rooms be right? Yeah, the rooms were appalling!! I thought I'd been given the keys to a backpackers! The walls were thin, door didn't feel securely shut. Carpet was filthy! I pulled my duvet over at night hoping I wouldn't wake up with bites the next day. Furnishings were old, broken or unfinished! Dirty walls. Bathroom? Don't even think too much about it, just go in, do what you need to do, and spend the rest of your time out! Pity Amsterdam was a let-down too.

• Stayed July 2009
Egbring, Manager at Hotel Casa 400, responded to this review, January 26, 2015
Dear guest, you stayed with us before in 2009 in our former building hotel.
Please allow me to share with you we opened our new hotel Casa400 steps away from the old building, totally new and modern. In case you are in Amsterdam again, please contact me personally for your future reservations to show you around in our new hotel and facilities or look into our website hotelcasa400.com

Kind regards,
Bernadine Egbring
Executive management assistant
DEVON
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2009

This was the perfect hotel for what we required.. rooms are very basic but clean and although its near a main road you cannot hear it. The breakfast was pleasent, we did not eat dinner at the hotel, we ate out in the city centre each night. (please note if you eat out it is very expensive i.e. pint of beer 5 euros and a chicken tikka 19 euros without the rice or and extras!) Excellent very friendly staff, as soon as we arrived the gentleman on the front desk answered all our questions and advised us how to get back to the town centre. The metro station, train and tram are a 2 minute walk from the hotel which is great. The city centre is 3 stops on the metro about 5 mins. Although i would not advise to walk to the town centre from the hotel, it would probably take about 55 mins and everywhere looks the same, the maps make amsterdam look smaller than it is! The trams are reasonably cheap and sometimes they didnt make us pay, they let us get on as it was late at night. We fealt very safe walking around late at night. Although you have got the 2 main attractions (red light and cafes) its also worth taking a trip to the -8oc cafe where everything is made of ice and anne franks house is very interesting to, also the torture museam. There are some amazing shops if you go further out of the main centre, quite expensive though. BUT YES i would reccomend this hotel, its very cheap and reasonable, we were a group of 21-25 yr olds and it was just right for us. I would advice to get a taxi from the train station to the hotel if you dont feal comfortable getting a metro as its quite difficult to find unless you know where your going, its tucked away, will cost about 15 euros. But you can get the metro from central to station amstel and the hotel is 2 mins walk from there. Hope this helps.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
Devonian
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2009

My elderly mother and I stayed there. The visit was unfortunately interrupted by her having an accident and breaking her shoulder in Amsterdam. On returning to the hotel from hospital, the staff were exceedingly helpful and couldn't do enough to make our situation as comfortable as possible until our return to the UK. The room however was basic and needed updating and redecorating. The location was alright for us as we could easily get to the station to go to Amsterdam Central. But I must emphsasise again the staff were excellent and provided top service.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Devon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2009

We thought that the train station (Amstel) was the central station so made an error by getting the train there and spent more on a taxi but once we got there we were given a free map by the staff which we constantly used throughout our 3 day stay. The room was very basic and dated but it was clean and tidy so it was fine for what we needed. I was worried about the security of our things at first as the staff wanted us to leave our room key in a dish on the front desk when we went out and the lock in the closet was very loose and didn't stop the door from being pulled open so we had to stick some card in the side of it which did the trick. There were some safety deposit boxes which we noticed afterwards but they were not in the best condition and were located at the entrance which I felt were too close to the street for my liking and didn't fancy the idea of accessing my valueables around such public places.
The actual area surrounding casa 400 seemed a bit run down and had a fair amount of local residents from the housing estates hanging around on street corners which made me feel a bit uneasy when a couple of them tried to ask us for something and get us to stop. So we got taxis back to the hotel in the evenings and walked up to the centre of the city during the day which only took about 20mins.
The breakfasts were the same each day which was a continental buffet and I quite liked it but my boyfriend was not too keen on it but that's just an individual taste thing and not a dig at the foods quality.
We bought an evening meal one night which was very well presented and served by very polite staff, it just didn't fill us up enough though (very tasty though!)
On the whole we enjoyed our stay at Casa 400 and was pleased to have clean towels left by the cleaners each day.
There is a new hotel being built at the other end of the road which opens next summer so it should be better conditions with it being building a new building.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
uk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2009

It is an excellent hotel for the price. The staff is extreamly helpfull, courteous and friendly.
Cleaning staff supervision and same breakfast menu needs attention, that does not mean poor, but can be improved..Location is spot on. Higly recomended by all means, would definately stay again.Very Very Good Hotel.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family