“A little more understanding would have helped” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Casa 400

Save Saved
You added Hotel Casa 400 to your Saves list
Hotel Casa 400
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Eerste Ringdijkstraat 4, 1097BC Amsterdam, The Netherlands   |
Ranked #53 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
Venice, Italy
“A little more understanding would have helped”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

Very reasonable prices. Helpful staff. Good restaurant. Breakfast choice pretty horrible. Only one BIG SNAG .. because of a physician colleague becoming sick forcing me to take over a night shift in the hospital, I had to delay by one day my arrival at short notice. The management showed no understanding and I was charged the whole amount for reasons of "policy". I hate this kind of attitude and will NEVER go there again ...
For those who still want to go there: try the restaurant, if you are too tired to go out. Food tastes much better than you would expect. On the other hand, avoid the breakfast - both the quality and the choice are below any acceptable standard ..

Room Tip: All rooms are the same. Fortunately the whole building is non smoking.
hvugts, Manager at Hotel Casa 400, responded to this review, October 29, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for staying at Hotel Casa 400!
First of all, I thank you, for taking the time to provide us with feedback. Upon your feedback, I would like to explain the situation and cancellation policy of Hotel Casa 400.

The month of September is one of the busiest months of the year, due to different congresses. This means a high demand, and less supply. Due to this, we need to guarantee the booking of our guest and we hold the room until the arrival. During the day, we had to refuse other guests due to this procedure.
I do apologize for this, unfortunately this is one of our procedures to guarantee the booking of all our guests. There are indeed strict no show standards, as it is always hard to make an exception, even when sickness is involved. Therefore, often guests will book a travel insurance as a common travel procedure in case of no shows. We do highly appreciate your feedback, which provides us food for thought.

Next to that, you pointed out that the quality and the choice of breakfast are below the standards. I like to inform you, we always improve our breakfast and our choice in products, so in case you have any ideas for missing items, please share.
We are delighted to hear, that you have enjoyed the friendliness of our staff and our restaurant dinner. In addition, it is great to hear that you appreciate our non smoking hotel rooms.
Please do contact me personally, for any remarks or concerns, through info@hotelcasa400.nl.

Luuk Verzijl
Manager on Duty

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
ENGLAND, KENT
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013 via mobile

Nice hotel, I know people have moaned about the location but its so close to the station which everything is easily accessible so its not really a problem, staff where friendly and helpful so all round a nice place to stay

• Stayed October 2013
UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013 via mobile

I am a regular visitor to the Casa 400 as it is walking distance to the office I work from when in Amsterdam, and also walking distance to Amstel station which had good connections for getting to Schiphol. The rooms are clean and functional, staff are always friendly and breakfast is good. However, as previous reviewers have stated, it is in the middle of an area where there are building works which start at about 6.30 each morning which is fine when you are up anyway to get to work but not conducive to a lie in when on a break away. It's also quite some distance from the centre of Amsterdam, if you don't mind a 20 or 30 minute tram journey to the sights, then that would be fine but you are not going to get the cool vibe you would get further in...it's pretty soulless and there are not that many eating options close by.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
HotelCasa400, Manager at Hotel Casa 400, responded to this review, October 16, 2013
Dear Madam,
Thank you for staying at Hotel Casa 400. First of all we would like to thank you for the fact that you took the effort to provide use valuable feedback. We would like to ensure that every feedback is taken serious and into consideration.
I am pleased to see that you experienced the breakfast and the cleanliness of the hotel room as very well. At Hotel Casa 400 we strive to keep our standards high, especially with regard to the cleanliness and food variety. Furthermore, I am glad to hear that you have experienced our staff as very friendly. We appreciate to hear this.
You pointed out you experienced some nuisance at 6:30 in the morning due to the construction. We are very sorry and we can understand this can be inconvenient when you would like to sleep in. However, the constructions you referred will be finalized in the coming weeks. As a result there will be no nuisance anymore.
Furthermore you pointed out that our hotel is quite some distance from the city centre and there is not much to do in the surrounding area of the hotel, especially with regard to diner options.
The part of Amsterdam which we are located as a hotel, namely the east of Amsterdam, is a very lively and upcoming area. We are sorry to hear you experienced differently.
Our Front office staff is very well informed about the environment of the hotel and also knows some very interesting places which you can visit during your stay at Hotel Casa 400. They are always willing to inform explain this to you and give some interesting tips, for example by our Mik in Oost map.

For our next visit we would like to invite you to come by our Front Office staff can inform you and hopefully let you experience the east part of Amsterdam.
Once again thank you for the feedback. In case you have any questions or remarks left, please do not hesitate to contact us.

We hope to welcome you again in the near future in our hotel!

Bernadine Egbring
Rooms Division Manager Hotel Casa 400
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

My partner and I stayed here for two nights. The room was spacious and clean, the staff friendly and helpful, and the service was top class.

It is slightly out of the way from the main attractions but a train to Centraal Station leaves from Amstel Station frequently. Amstel is just over the road from the hotel.

Free Wifi was a bonus, and it worked throughout the hotel.

I would stay here again the next time I'm in Amsterdam.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Tel Aviv, Israel
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

We stayed at Hotel Casa 400 for 3 nights in September 2013. The rooms are clean, the breakfast is OK - but these are the only good things I can say about this hotel. The main problem for us was the elevators. We stayed on the 2nd floor, but it took us 10-15 minutes (!) every morning to go down to the 1st floor to eat breakfast. There are only 2 elevators, and they are soooo slow. Even worse, the staircase takes you outside of the building to a totally different entrance, and then you have to walk in the hotel, and still you are on the ground floor, and need to wait for an elevator to take you to the 1st floor for breakfast!! Terrible. I think it's really disrespectful of the guests' time and money. Another very annoying feature was the construction site which was right out of our window, so around 8AM it got very nosy in the room.
Further, as many people wrote, the location of the hotel is not ideal.
I don't recommend staying here before the hotel solves the elevator and noise problems.

hvugts, Manager at Hotel Casa 400, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
Thank you for staying in Hotel Casa 400!

First of all I would like to thank you that you took the time and effort to provide us valuable feedback. We highly appreciate this as it will enable us to improve our services.
In your feedback you pointed out that there was a major problem with our elevators, and that it took a while to make use of it. I can imagine, that this is annoying. I directly conducted a research upon your feedback and I would like to share the outcome with you.

During your stay there was a big congress going on in Amsterdam. Most of our guests were participating this congress, and they all have the same schedule. Most of these congress guests are making use of the elevator at the same time, so our elevator was overloaded. I can imagine, that you have experienced this as inconvenience. I am very sorry for that.
To clarify the situation about the stairs, these are emergency stairs and will lead you outside the building in case of emergency. I can imagine that this can be confusing, however this is for safety reasons. I would like to apologize for this inconvenience.

In addition, you indicated that you had nuisance due to the construction. This construction had to be finished on the governmental planning already, however I can imagine that this makes your stay less comfortable, by the end of this month construction will be finished.

At last, you described in your feedback that the location is not ideal. Although, the hotel is not located in the city centre, we do have a wide range of possibilities near the hotel to get quickly into the city centre, for example by using public transport, as well as there are many restaurants just east and north of the hotel. Hopefully you were aware of this, and that the reception provided this information when requested.
I am very pleased to hear that you have experienced the breakfast and the cleanliness of the hotel as very well. We are always striving to keep the standards high, especially the cleanliness and variety in food.

Once again, thank you for the provided feedback, and in case you would like to visit Hotel Casa 400 again, you can always contact me in person through reception. Please, refer to this review, I will be happy to assist you!

Bernadine Egbring
Rooms Division manager Hotel Casa 400
UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

A modern hotel with an interesting glass atrium, conveniently located near Amstel station. Clean room, comfy bed and a plentiful, tasty breakfast. I particularly liked the French toast and good coffee. However, the evening meal in the bar was disappointing. So, satisfactory in a functional sort of way.

Staines, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

We chose this hotel for just one reason. It is close to the Amstel Railway Station. Please don’t choose this if you want to stay near to Amsterdam Centraal.

The main sights in the city are quite a way away - so you will need to use the nearby tram to get into the city centre. Or take the train. In fact, you might prefer to be ‘out of town’ a little way - and in that case this hotel would be a sensible option.

We booked our stay with Expedia so we got a good rate and we also got given an “Elite Guest Exclusive” from Expedia ... we were told by the website to print off a voucher. The reception at the Casa 400 was welcoming and efficient. After being given our key card and some useful information, I enquired about what I would get with my voucher. The receptionist said, “A slightly bigger bed, a boiler in your room to make water (I presume she meant a kettle) and some goodies left for you.”

The room was on the 7th floor - via a secure lift. The whole place looked very clean and efficient. The lift was prompt and reliable. The room was very pleasant. A big comfortable king-sized bed. Leather-look head board and clean and tidy furnishings. The shower room was clean and very respectable. The view from the window looked out onto a tidy courtyard.

We had a meal in the restaurant - situated on the ground floor. A lunch was expensive - we had soup and a sandwich - 27 euros. But it was delicious and very efficiently served by a pleasant waitress. However, we could not afford dinner at the Casa 400 - you would need to budget at least 50 euros for the dinner menu.

We also went for a drink in the bar on the first floor. I asked the barman at the bar for 2 bottles of beer. I could see the bottles that I wanted in the fridge. He spent a while searching in the kitchens or outback and then started hunting around near the spirits. I kept shouting to him “There... in the cooler.” Eventually he looked over at me and followed my directions. By now he seemed to have got himself annoyed over the search, so he pulled out the two bottles rather assertively. He went to open the first bottle - but he seemed to be a bit over-zealous with it. So he wrenched the cap off, and the beer spumed over the top - half the drink was lost. This made him seem even more annoyed - but he managed to calm down by answering the phone and dealing with another customer. It took about 10 minutes to get my drink!

We stayed at this hotel again - just days later - and although I had been given an Expedia ‘upgrade’ voucher once more for this second stay - I decided to see whether it made any difference if I didn’t mention it when I checked in. We got almost the same room as before (it was adjacent - on the same floor) and it also had goodies in it, a large bed and a boiler!

We would definitely stay here again - especially if we were going to the Amstel area. It’s good, clean, efficient and busy. But don’t try eating or drinking here!

Room Tip: Higher rooms have better views - but all are good.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Casa 400? Share your experiences!