“Absolutely loved our stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Casa 400

You added Hotel Casa 400 to your Saves list
Hotel Casa 400
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Eerste Ringdijkstraat 4, 1097BC Amsterdam, The Netherlands   |
Ranked #54 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Absolutely loved our stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

My partner and I stayed here for two nights. The room was spacious and clean, the staff friendly and helpful, and the service was top class.

It is slightly out of the way from the main attractions but a train to Centraal Station leaves from Amstel Station frequently. Amstel is just over the road from the hotel.

Free Wifi was a bonus, and it worked throughout the hotel.

I would stay here again the next time I'm in Amsterdam.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Tel Aviv, Israel
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

We stayed at Hotel Casa 400 for 3 nights in September 2013. The rooms are clean, the breakfast is OK - but these are the only good things I can say about this hotel. The main problem for us was the elevators. We stayed on the 2nd floor, but it took us 10-15 minutes (!) every morning to go down to the 1st floor to eat breakfast. There are only 2 elevators, and they are soooo slow. Even worse, the staircase takes you outside of the building to a totally different entrance, and then you have to walk in the hotel, and still you are on the ground floor, and need to wait for an elevator to take you to the 1st floor for breakfast!! Terrible. I think it's really disrespectful of the guests' time and money. Another very annoying feature was the construction site which was right out of our window, so around 8AM it got very nosy in the room.
Further, as many people wrote, the location of the hotel is not ideal.
I don't recommend staying here before the hotel solves the elevator and noise problems.

hvugts, Manager at Hotel Casa 400, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
Thank you for staying in Hotel Casa 400!

First of all I would like to thank you that you took the time and effort to provide us valuable feedback. We highly appreciate this as it will enable us to improve our services.
In your feedback you pointed out that there was a major problem with our elevators, and that it took a while to make use of it. I can imagine, that this is annoying. I directly conducted a research upon your feedback and I would like to share the outcome with you.

During your stay there was a big congress going on in Amsterdam. Most of our guests were participating this congress, and they all have the same schedule. Most of these congress guests are making use of the elevator at the same time, so our elevator was overloaded. I can imagine, that you have experienced this as inconvenience. I am very sorry for that.
To clarify the situation about the stairs, these are emergency stairs and will lead you outside the building in case of emergency. I can imagine that this can be confusing, however this is for safety reasons. I would like to apologize for this inconvenience.

In addition, you indicated that you had nuisance due to the construction. This construction had to be finished on the governmental planning already, however I can imagine that this makes your stay less comfortable, by the end of this month construction will be finished.

At last, you described in your feedback that the location is not ideal. Although, the hotel is not located in the city centre, we do have a wide range of possibilities near the hotel to get quickly into the city centre, for example by using public transport, as well as there are many restaurants just east and north of the hotel. Hopefully you were aware of this, and that the reception provided this information when requested.
I am very pleased to hear that you have experienced the breakfast and the cleanliness of the hotel as very well. We are always striving to keep the standards high, especially the cleanliness and variety in food.

Once again, thank you for the provided feedback, and in case you would like to visit Hotel Casa 400 again, you can always contact me in person through reception. Please, refer to this review, I will be happy to assist you!

Kind regards,

Bernadine Egbring
Rooms Division manager Hotel Casa 400
UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

A modern hotel with an interesting glass atrium, conveniently located near Amstel station. Clean room, comfy bed and a plentiful, tasty breakfast. I particularly liked the French toast and good coffee. However, the evening meal in the bar was disappointing. So, satisfactory in a functional sort of way.

Staines, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

We chose this hotel for just one reason. It is close to the Amstel Railway Station. Please don’t choose this if you want to stay near to Amsterdam Centraal.

The main sights in the city are quite a way away - so you will need to use the nearby tram to get into the city centre. Or take the train. In fact, you might prefer to be ‘out of town’ a little way - and in that case this hotel would be a sensible option.

We booked our stay with Expedia so we got a good rate and we also got given an “Elite Guest Exclusive” from Expedia ... we were told by the website to print off a voucher. The reception at the Casa 400 was welcoming and efficient. After being given our key card and some useful information, I enquired about what I would get with my voucher. The receptionist said, “A slightly bigger bed, a boiler in your room to make water (I presume she meant a kettle) and some goodies left for you.”

The room was on the 7th floor - via a secure lift. The whole place looked very clean and efficient. The lift was prompt and reliable. The room was very pleasant. A big comfortable king-sized bed. Leather-look head board and clean and tidy furnishings. The shower room was clean and very respectable. The view from the window looked out onto a tidy courtyard.

We had a meal in the restaurant - situated on the ground floor. A lunch was expensive - we had soup and a sandwich - 27 euros. But it was delicious and very efficiently served by a pleasant waitress. However, we could not afford dinner at the Casa 400 - you would need to budget at least 50 euros for the dinner menu.

We also went for a drink in the bar on the first floor. I asked the barman at the bar for 2 bottles of beer. I could see the bottles that I wanted in the fridge. He spent a while searching in the kitchens or outback and then started hunting around near the spirits. I kept shouting to him “There... in the cooler.” Eventually he looked over at me and followed my directions. By now he seemed to have got himself annoyed over the search, so he pulled out the two bottles rather assertively. He went to open the first bottle - but he seemed to be a bit over-zealous with it. So he wrenched the cap off, and the beer spumed over the top - half the drink was lost. This made him seem even more annoyed - but he managed to calm down by answering the phone and dealing with another customer. It took about 10 minutes to get my drink!

We stayed at this hotel again - just days later - and although I had been given an Expedia ‘upgrade’ voucher once more for this second stay - I decided to see whether it made any difference if I didn’t mention it when I checked in. We got almost the same room as before (it was adjacent - on the same floor) and it also had goodies in it, a large bed and a boiler!

We would definitely stay here again - especially if we were going to the Amstel area. It’s good, clean, efficient and busy. But don’t try eating or drinking here!

Room Tip: Higher rooms have better views - but all are good.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Iasi, Romania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

Plenty of noise at check-in because of the road works around the hotel; the nice reception staff changed our room into a more quiet one.There were some problems with the temperature in the room, the system didn't work properly and we were always cold; we asked the room maid but she couldn't help us more; pillows were really bad. Bathroom was clean, the shower had not enough pression and the size of towels is small.Breakfast - average.Even if they have a good restaurant, they don't have room service at all (!). Far away from Amsterdam, even if you have a Metro stop in the neighbourhood. Nice helping staff at the reception and good ecological behaviour..

Room Tip: Rooms looking in inner yard are quiet..
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

A modern hotel in a nice quiet area, where is close to a main metro/railway station (Amstel). It only takes around 10 minutes to get to the Centraal Station in the heart of Amsterdam. Stayed for three nights. The room was neat and clean. Hotel staff were efficient and helpful. It was really nice and pleasant experience. Highly recommended.

Cambridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

I stayed at Casa 400 for a conference, and I found that it was very well suited for the purpose. It was clean, spacious, and comfortable (with the exception of the pillows). The bathroom is modern and has a terrific shower. I found the room temperature a bit too cool for my taste (the thermostat doesn't really do much at all), but the staff were very kind and even offered to bring me a space heater if I wanted it.

The location is very close to Amstel station, which is good for public transport links. For someone coming as a tourist, the hotel is a bit of a way out of the city centre, but it is accessible by bus/tram/metro - just take note of the changes due to metro construction works going on at the moment.

There are few restaurants within a 5-10 minute walk, unfortunately. The three recommended by the reception were all quite expensive. I ate at the hotel's restaurant (Circles) one night, and while it was on the pricey side, at least the food was nice. Again, if you don't plan on hanging around by the hotel all day, it's not really an issue, as there are plenty of other restaurants in Amsterdam!

Overall, I was pleased with my stay at Casa 400, and would stay again if I have a similar function in the future.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

Been to Hotel Casa 400? Share your experiences!